Recent Recruiting Success & Failure

We're all guilty of living in the moment, but in my opinion, this is one of the most (if not the most) substantial recruits Nebraska has brought in for a long time. I don't say that because I have high expectations of greatness for him - I just say that because his name carries a lot of weight and influence. He's got friends that are being recruited to Nebraska that may now give us harder looks and consideration. There are coaches and players all over the country, who don't even know him personally, that are today saying 'woah... Nebraska got Keyshawn's son??'

And hey, if he ends up being extremely productive for us then that's great and what really matters =).

This recruitment reminded me so much of Andrus Peat, well except the whole good guys won part. I am a lot more comfortable today with the Riley hire. Him & his staff have done a better job recruiting then I remember Pelini ever doing. The last class had a very bad end with no DL's in it, but Riley was quick to do what needed to be done. My only concern with him/staff now is play calling & really we have only seen 1 season of play calling.

• Fire 1

The hype around this recruit is approaching epic proportions. As is this renewed focus on recruiting California, which ended up being a misguided approach under Callahan.

p.s., both Valentine and Collins, just this year, were highly recruited guys who chose and excelled at Nebraska. Randy Gregory was highly recruited out of JUCO and chose Nebraska. Not to mention be Davis twins. The rewriting of history is breathtaking.

• Fire 3

The hype around this recruit is approaching epic proportions. As is this renewed focus on recruiting California, which ended up being a misguided approach under Callahan.

p.s., both Valentine and Collins, just this year, were highly recruited guys who chose and excelled at Nebraska. Randy Gregory was highly recruited out of JUCO and chose Nebraska. The rewriting of history is breathtaking.

What was misguided about Callahan hitting California? Recruiting was the one thing he did exceptionally well. I don't expect Riley to be able to recruit better than Callahan, but I sure hope the on field results are better.

• Fire 1

p.s., both Valentine and Collins, just this year, were highly recruited guys who chose and excelled at Nebraska. Randy Gregory was highly recruited out of JUCO and chose Nebraska. The rewriting of history is breathtaking.

Outside of Crick, many of the defensive tackles following Suh have been underwhelming. Our recruiting and development along the defensive line in the last 4-5 years has been inconsistent. Valentine/Collins are examples of good development, however.

And the 'hype' surrounding KJJ is pretty standard for a highly touted recruit. There's no denying his name is a significant acquisition for whatever team got him, for a variety of reasons.

• Fire 2

p.s., both Valentine and Collins, just this year, were highly recruited guys who chose and excelled at Nebraska. Randy Gregory was highly recruited out of JUCO and chose Nebraska. Not to mention be Davis twins. The rewriting of history is breathtaking.

Every time I read one of your posts, this is what I imagine you look like ;)

488324150-puppet-walter-the-grumpy-old-m

^^^My vote for POST OF THE YEAR!!!! ^^^

Why, can you name another year where NU started off with a 2/3 star & two 4 star players?

You are right NU has done well recruiting OL's & has done ok on DL's. The difference with this pickup is the ability to draw other players. KJJ's name alone will help NU land a few other players. Marquel Dismuke would have never came to NU had it not been for KJ Sr setting up the trip for those guys. You should be excited about this committment he is only going to help Riley & staff lockdown more talent. This could end up being one of the most highly rated classes NU has seen in a long time. I would sure love to see NU pull in a top 10 class. Holmes & Gebbia will go a long way to helping & we now have a guy in their locker room pointing NU's way. On top of everything we got a solid WR commit.

• Fire 2

Always depressing to remember how hard that 2011 class ended up screwing the progrum. It was supposed to be the crown jewel in Pelini's recruiting efforts but we ended up with a bunch of highly rated players that never really panned out for various reasons.

Aaron Green

Jamal Turner

Charles Jackson

Bubba Starling

Tyler Moore

Todd Peat

Ryan Klachko

All 4-stars. Daimion Stafford probably did the most out of all of them but was only a 2-year player. Ryne Reeves played some football, but I don't really remember him standing out.

The myth of Callahan's recruiting abilities live on, I guess...

So are you going to give any information?

No point. It's already been given. One of the big pieces is that he inherited more highly drafted players than he left Bo. His recruiting was uneven, relying too heavily on jucos to bolster recruitnik rankings, leaving an unbalanced roster that took a couple of years to fix.

Also, if you look at California recruits, the attrition rate is much higher than other areas. It's good to grab a player here and there, but building a program founded on talent taken from 2000 miles away is poor strategy.

• Fire 2