Recent Recruiting Success & Failure

Core of Nebraska's football team should be built from within that 500 mile radius and really it will be. Just because MR is hitting Cali hard and may get 6-7 guys from there this year really doesn't mean he is neglecting the 500 mile radius.

During the 90's Nebraska had an almost unpressidented amount of in state talent to work with. The skill players avaiable from the state was phenominal. Haven't seen anything like it in the past 15 years. It wasn't just football talent it was BBall talent also. I mean Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Benning, Childs, Green, Clester Johnson, Reggie Baul, Veland these were just some of the scholarship skill guys from instate of the era, not to mention all the guys that started as walkons. Who was the last in state RB to really make a mark on this team?

I think they could take more chances with some instate talent. A lot of offers going out to kids from USD, SDSU, NDS, etc. Some of these guys are probably worthy of a look from NU.

CM you keep preaching doing it the TO way, unfortunately the only one that can do that is the good Dr. FS tried, but it didn't work. I am not saying he should of been fired though. I think he could have been pretty successful with a couple more years with his new staff, but he started doing things a little more his way. You can't replicate things all the time.

How did I move the goal posts?

I refuted an argument that NU 90s run was due to being "miles ahead" of everyone in S&C.

I simply think that overstates NU's S&C advantage by the mid 90s. By that point, most of the top 1/3 of CFB had invested heavily in S&C.

Please explain how that moves the goalposts.

S&C programs around the country started improving their methods and facilities because of our 90's success.

You literally said we weren't that far ahead of the top 30-40 programs at the time. Then you said you didn't say that.

By using the 30-40 other programs line you are essentially saying we weren't better than anyone else, but when called out on it you can use the line as "proof" you didn't really say what was implied, we merely just took it wrong.

Those posts must be heavy, I assume the phantom +1er is helping you?

I'm simply stunned by your post. On a couple of levels.

But if you really think that other schools didn't improve their S&C until after the 90s success, that ranks up as one of the most clueless opinions I've seen expressed. It even stands in conflict with the article posted by the original claimant, which mentions a few 1970s era coaches calling NU about what we were doing back then.

Honestly, how do you go from "we were the same as the other top tier S&C programs" to "we were no better than anyone else"?

Let's stop talking now. Because it's hopeless.

• Fire 1

Can we quit pretending you aren't going out of your way to argue?

And hey, I neversaid which programs improved their S&C programs after our success! See, I can move the goalposts too!

How about we stop the arguing and simply ignore each other.

I'm game for it.

You are free to place me on ignore at any time.

• Fire 1

This same sh#t is happening in every single thread. Every. Single. Thread.

It gets so tiresome to jump into a thread and then see it get derailed into the same Tom/Frank/Bill/Steve/Shawn/Bo debate. If only there was something the mods could do to get the HB back on track.

Seems to be a common denominator, too.

I was extremely pleased with the developments coming out of the program over the last couple of months, but now I'm unsure. I don't know maybe it's just my Current Mood but the husker seem destined to fail.

• Fire 5

I simply haven't made those arguments.

but I get it. Strawmen are easier targets than inconvenient truths.

Well then you are doing a horrible job of explaining your stance. It's not a "strawman" if that is what multiple people are seeing in your posts.

Here is what I get from your posts and I don't think I'm alone:

• You are still upset that Frank and Bo were fired.
  • You think they both could have ended up here with great success here recruiting Nebraska kids and every excuse that has ever been brought up as to why they were fired is hogwash.
  • TO is king and everything he has said or did is without question the only way to be successful here and any deviation from that is doomed to failure.
  • Since TO didn't build his dynasty in the 90s around a QB and crop of WRs that can pass and catch the ball really well, there is no way in hell good QBs and WRs are ever going to be successful here so anyone trying to recruit them is doomed to failure.
  • Whatever the current staff is doing, if it isn't written down somewhere in a book that TO wrote, it's doomed to failure.
  • We didn't have any sort of big advantage in strength training and nutrition in the glory years and anyone who tries to say we did is totally twisting history.
Am I leaving anything out?

Now, if these 6 points are way off from what you believe and have been posting for what seems like an eternity in every thread, then please clarify your positions.

Your alone.

Correct. Top 30 or so programs. Which is much different than how you framed it. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

Okay chief

I think you purposely word your "points" in such a way that they will be taken "incorrectly" just so you have a reason to debate people when they call you out.

It's referred to as nuance. I admit that nuance does allow people who like to deal in extremes to read something into a statement that isn't really there.

There's actually a pretty famous quote about the phenomenon.

You are absolutely the king of moving the goalposts when your argument is rightfully questioned, and of hiding the true intent of your posts, although most of us have figured it out.

That does require some nuance, but it's nothing to be proud of.

And if I had to list the posters who prefer to deal in extremes, it wouldn't be the people you're currently arguing with.

I don't even know if I agree with him, but what he says gets distorted -- people respond to what they think he said, as opposed to what he actually said.

• Fire 2

The funny part about this thread is that CM husker is the only one backing up his statements with numbers. The rest of it is just butt hurt sunshine pumpers.

What numbers? The blatantly obvious Nebraska born roster numbers from the 90's? What a revelation, we had a strong walk on program. Then he goes on to say our S&C was at best on par with the top 30-40 programs and our in state talent is what got us there, not the S&C.

All that is how he justifies pissing and moaning about us recruiting highly rated recruits from California because in his mind that won't work here because this is NEBRASKA and we are supposed to still do the same sh#t TO did or we won't be successful!

Well, Frank tried to emulate TO with less emphasis on recruiting. How did that work out? Oh wait, best not to bring that up...

The funny part about this thread is that CM husker is the only one backing up his statements with numbers. The rest of it is just butt hurt sunshine pumpers.

Core of Nebraska's football team should be built from within that 500 mile radius and really it will be. Just because MR is hitting Cali hard and may get 6-7 guys from there this year really doesn't mean he is neglecting the 500 mile radius.

During the 90's Nebraska had an almost unpressidented amount of in state talent to work with. The skill players avaiable from the state was phenominal. Haven't seen anything like it in the past 15 years. It wasn't just football talent it was BBall talent also. I mean Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Benning, Childs, Green, Clester Johnson, Reggie Baul, Veland these were just some of the scholarship skill guys from instate of the era, not to mention all the guys that started as walkons. Who was the last in state RB to really make a mark on this team?

I think they could take more chances with some instate talent. A lot of offers going out to kids from USD, SDSU, NDS, etc. Some of these guys are probably worthy of a look from NU.

CM you keep preaching doing it the TO way, unfortunately the only one that can do that is the good Dr. FS tried, but it didn't work. I am not saying he should of been fired though. I think he could have been pretty successful with a couple more years with his new staff, but he started doing things a little more his way. You can't replicate things all the time.

BRV, I agree cm did back up support for the contribution from the 90's, but I think we have to realize that times have changed and really, NUinID nailed it on the head. The production / talent from in-state kids was unreal during that time period. Not saying there isn't talent around the state, but not enough to where every skilled position is home-grown talent. Times have change and with that, the principles that won us championships in the '90s might be obsolete. Sure, the 500 mile radius is important but recruiting a group out of California shouldn't automatically be labeled as "The Grand Experiment II".