Recent Recruiting Success & Failure

Your definition of "facts" never ceases to crack me up.

Feel free to post the stats that refute those posted previously.

You're actually the one making a claim, and the way that conversations like this work is that you provide the evidence for claims made. It's your job to prove that you're actually speaking accurately before it's anyone else's job to prove that you're full of sh#t.

Guy Chamberlin, is another hallmark of teenage girl esque behavior completely ignoring vast amounts of topics that don't fit someone's self image, only to come swooping in out of the blue the second they sniff the chance at making another trolling contrarian point without anything to back it up? Just wondering.

Someone wanna give me a brief synopsis about what's going on in here so I can argue with someone?

Well, cm husker is desperately still trying to get over Solich's firing you see. This mourning process was largely hindered when a West Coast NFL flop was chosen as his successor. After a pitiful era was ended by Jesus T. Osborne, he selected an angry man from Ohio. 6 years later Jesus T. Osborne retired and a spiteful Wisconsin ginger who was sent to destroy us replaced him, this ginger couldn't wait to rid us of the Ohio man Jesus T. Osborne had bestowed onto us. Once the deed was done, he replaced him with a man who has never won a game as a head coach (so the trolls tell me). This Mike Riley feller loses on purpose and never runs the football and recruits these "players" from Caleefornee that are just not right for Braska because they are beyond our 500 mile radius.

I hope that clears things up.

• Fire 7

You're actually the one making a claim, and the way that conversations like this work is that you provide the evidence for claims made. It's your job to prove that you're actually speaking accurately before it's anyone else's job to prove that you're full of sh#t.

Guy Chamberlin, is another hallmark of teenage girl esque behavior completely ignoring vast amounts of topics that don't fit someone's self image, only to come swooping in out of the blue the second they sniff the chance at making another trolling contrarian point without anything to back it up? Just wondering.

Ive posted the numbers repeatedly. No one addresses them; they just keep repeating that Armstrong is an awful decision maker. Feel free to search for them. A key term would be Anderson. Or try interception ratio.

• Fire 1

Someone wanna give me a brief synopsis about what's going on in here so I can argue with someone?

Well, cm husker is desperately still trying to get over Solich's firing you see. This mourning process was largely hindered when a West Coast NFL flop was chosen as his successor. After a pitiful era was ended by Jesus T. Osborne, he selected an angry man from Ohio. 6 years later Jesus T. Osborne retired and a spiteful Wisconsin ginger who was sent to destroy us replaced him, this ginger couldn't wait to rid us of the Ohio man Jesus T. Osborne had bestowed onto us. Once the deed was done, he replaced him with a man who has never won a game as a head coach (so the trolls tell me). This Mike Riley feller loses on purpose and never runs the football and recruits these "players" from Caleefornee that are just not right for Braska because they are beyond our 500 mile radius.

Well...you did forget the part where nobody should every even question anything a player does or his ability to do something on the field because everything is the coach's fault if it doesn't go right. All Huskerboard discussions should be nothing but praise for the players, worship of TO and criticism of anything that isn't written in a book authored by TO himself.

OH....and if you don't believe that, ask someone who played college football because everyone who didn't play college football should just sit back and be educated by the few that have.

• Fire 1

Ive posted the numbers repeatedly. No one addresses them; they just keep repeating that Armstrong is an awful decision maker. Feel free to search for them. A key term would be Anderson. Or try interception ratio.

Well, we are just agreeing with Tommy Armstrong.

I would think a mod would step in and stop the mischaracterizations of my posts, which essentially amount to trolling.

I've posted attrition numbers that indicate reaching outside 500 miles, and especially to coastal recruits, is a risky strategy overall (not individually). I've posted numbers showing that statistically Armstrong outperformed his peer group among first year starters in Riley's system, including on a td to int ratio int per attempt basis.

I haven't posted numbers, but yes, I do think Osborne understands what it takes to win at Nebraska better than anyone (hers a number: career .800+ record and 3 national titles). And I do think when compared with other ADs, he's well above the average when it comes to picking football coaches. Do I think he's perfect? No. But he knows far more than perlman and eichorst, and he should have been kept in the loop on all coaching decisions and his replacement. I honestly don't think that's even controversial.

None of the people, in whose heads I apparently live rent free, have been able to refute the actual data, so the invented and overstated narrative makes sense. And it's actually pretty amusing.

• Fire 1

Truer words have never been written.

I actually read this whole thread. Nice.

Hey cm--

Boyd Epely himself said we need to recruit the type of player who is more physically ready and gifted from the beginning than having to wait two/three years to build them up. He said, right now if we could "hit pause" it would take a year to get the players up to a good competitive level.

Recruiting kids who are more physically gifted takes less time to build up SUPPOSEDLY.

I liked your thesis on retaining and seeing success from kids who are closer to our borders. I agree somewhat with attrition rates and all that. Being further from home makes it harder, no doubt. I hope since these kids are from the same school/area and seem to be trying to stick together it will help, not hurt.

My take is that kids from bigger areas with more money for outstanding facilities and coaching, along with playing in higher competition games and camps, will be more ready from day 1 than kids who are not, GENERALLY. HCMR needs to win NOW. Hes finding some, on paper and HS film at least, who can raise our level of depth, practice competitiveness, profile for national recruiting, and perhaps...get kids in radius that we desperately need as a foundation to want to come play with the Cali boys.

I hope his grand scheme works cuz I want to win!!!

• Fire 1

My whole problem with that spin on Epley's comments, which I think taken some of his statements well out of context, is that NU has been competitive during the past 7 years. NC championship competitive? No. And his comments are no revelation on that point (nor would I think he'd claim them to be). But, NU has been a .700+ program, constantly in the top 25 and able to play in 3 conference championships between 2008 and 2014 (or 4 in a span of 9 years, if you include 2006). That's despite a conference switch, too.

So, for people to now say, "well, 6-7 is a reflection of our talent level" seems pretty misguided. If this staff takes 9-3 talent to 5-7, will they do better than take 12-0 talent to 8-4? I don't know. We'll see.

Personally, I look at the "we recruit everywhere" approach as something akin to a Notre Dame-lite approach. I don't think it's a great model for NU, but I won't rehash why that argument, except to say: I think systems should take the following approach:

1. Identify your recruiting base. For Nebraska, I think it's the 500 mile radius, plus a column across the B10 territory, which would be supplemented with cherry picked athletes from the coastal states/big football territories. For all the attacks on my argument, people seem to miss that I actually don't know (or claim to know) whether RIley will take this approach. Yes, the articles are all about the relationships in Cali, but we don't know that this year may be an anomaly because of the close relationship with the Calabasas HS.

2. Once you understand the recruiting base, develop your offensive system around the type of talent you're able to consistently attract and retain. For me, that's when I look to TO for guidance. Also, I"m a true believer that at the college level, the option and a mobile QB are keys to a dynamic offense. I freely admit my belief that for myriad reasons, the "pro style" approach to offense leads to diminishing returns, even among the most talented programs running it. I think those system "leave offense on the field" more than certain other types.

I'll just note that for all the excitement around this class so far, there's also the '05 and '11 classes that stand as cautionary tales to buying into the hype. We won't know if this was a winning strategy for a least a few years.

• Fire 2

My whole problem with that spin on Epley's comments, which I think taken some of his statements well out of context, is that NU has been competitive during the past 7 years. NC championship competitive? No. And his comments are no revelation on that point (nor would I think he'd claim them to be). But, NU has been a .700+ program, constantly in the top 25 and able to play in 3 conference championships between 2008 and 2014 (or 4 in a span of 9 years, if you include 2006). That's despite a conference switch, too.

It appears that your opinion is that beating up tomato cans and getting blown out by contenders is competitive. I have an entirely different definition of competitive.

• Fire 4

A problem apparently shared by 11 other first time starters in that system, including at least a couple of NFL caliber guys.

Facts are facts.

I appreciate Tommy for taking it upon himself, but, historically speaking, there's not a lot of evidence that another first timer in the system would have had more success (in fact, no others did, even though most had the benefit of teammates that had been in the system for a while).

How many other “1st year starters” under Riley were 4th year Junior (2 year starters) and how many were playing their first season of bullets flying live game action?

I don’t have a dog in this fight I’m just curious to see if that has been addressed before.

• Fire 1