Recent Recruiting Success & Failure

I simply haven't made those arguments.

but I get it. Strawmen are easier targets than inconvenient truths.

Well then you are doing a horrible job of explaining your stance. It's not a "strawman" if that is what multiple people are seeing in your posts.

Here is what I get from your posts and I don't think I'm alone:

• You are still upset that Frank and Bo were fired.
  • You think they both could have ended up here with great success here recruiting Nebraska kids and every excuse that has ever been brought up as to why they were fired is hogwash.
  • TO is king and everything he has said or did is without question the only way to be successful here and any deviation from that is doomed to failure.
  • Since TO didn't build his dynasty in the 90s around a QB and crop of WRs that can pass and catch the ball really well, there is no way in hell good QBs and WRs are ever going to be successful here so anyone trying to recruit them is doomed to failure.
  • Whatever the current staff is doing, if it isn't written down somewhere in a book that TO wrote, it's doomed to failure.
  • We didn't have any sort of big advantage in strength training and nutrition in the glory years and anyone who tries to say we did is totally twisting history.
Am I leaving anything out?

Now, if these 6 points are way off from what you believe and have been posting for what seems like an eternity in every thread, then please clarify your positions.

Your alone.

Pssst! Scroll up a bit.

BigRedBuster actually scored double-digit reputation points for that post.

You don't see that everyday.

While I don't have the time to go back and review these things, as apparently others do, I don't remember reading almost any of the things stated above (in this thread). What I did notice was a lot of people who disagree with him ganging up on him simply because he has a different opinion.

Now admittedly, I don't remember, for the most part, what people post from thread to thread and suspect that is the source of issue (in fact, I don't really look who made the post (again for the most part) and just look at the content). But when I read the post I replied to, almost none of those issues, at least in the way it was presented, were addressed before (in this thread).

• Fire 1

Just an FYI guys...in 1993, we were the first S&C program to tie Nutrition to the S&C program. It's also about the time we started using circuit training in Husker Power program.

I'd have to say we blazed some trails at this time (early to mid 90's) in S&C...we weren't like every other program.

Interestingly enough, for both our 1970's and 1990's national championships...we were starting new things in strength and conditioning just a few years before.

About 1 or 2 years ago, Boyd started something new in S&C here too....let's see what happens? :D:Pchuckleshuffle

Funny story here...I coached with a guy that was a bad-ass FB for the Huskers in the 70's...I asked him about the working out they did...he said "You had to sign in each day over the summer and spend at least one hour doing "something".

I asked what that meant and he said..."Well, you would either play racquetball, sleep in the bleachers, shoot hoops, but that was about the extent of it." He said that the racquetball tournaments got pretty intense.

• Fire 1

I have arguments like this with my teenage daughter all the time. We agree on a lot of the big picture issues, but sometimes she'll declare something that is categorically wrong, or conveniently mis-characterized. When politely corrected and provided evidence to the contrary, she typically doubles down or changes the rules. Anything to avoid admitting she doesn't know everything. I still love her to pieces.

Now am I saying that CM is behaving like a teenage girl?

Yes.

I thought my teenage daughter was the only one like that.

I have arguments like this with my teenage daughter all the time. We agree on a lot of the big picture issues, but sometimes she'll declare something that is categorically wrong, or conveniently mis-characterized. When politely corrected and provided evidence to the contrary, she typically doubles down or changes the rules. Anything to avoid admitting she doesn't know everything. I still love her to pieces.

Yes.

So, we can also infer you still love CM to pieces, yes?

• Fire 2

Yes.

So, we can also infer you still love CM to pieces, yes?

Gay Chumberlame is all about the love.

• Fire 1

Just to summarize, this whole thing snowballed because somebody thinks recruiting a 4 star WR out of California is too big of a risk and we should instead double down on 2 or 3 stars in our 500 mile radius.

Look, heres my thing. We can take all the in state kids we want, it's not going to be much different at this point than taking the same rated kid at the same position from say Nevada. Why? Because we have learned recently that even our beloved DONU doesn't have the same shine to in state kids as it once did, some would even rather play for our "rival". No reason we can't change that though, but we have to start winning.

How do we start winning more? By recruiting the type of players that will make our system work the best, not by recruiting the players to fit the system we WISH we were running. Who really cares where our pipeline comes from as long as it works? In the Big 12 we could pull guys from Texas, Bo had his Ohio connections, and Riley has West Coast ties.

• Fire 4

Yes

Beaten to the punch

I think we need to be as creative and aggressive in recruiting as possible.

But we should also have a monopoly on every recruit-worthy player in the state, because that's just our thing.

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to bring in the top 5 recruits in state every year if we want them. It should be a goal.

• Fire 1

But we should also have a monopoly on every recruit-worthy player in the state, because that's just our thing.

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to bring in the top 5 recruits in state every year if we want them. It should be a goal.

Guys - I get that it would make sense for us to dominate Nebraska, however there are two factors against that.

1) We haven't been dominating college football since the day these 17/18 year old kids were born

- so these kids aren't as programmed as kids 20 years ago were to dream about only playing for one school ... that being NU

2) Some kids have lived here their entire life and want to leave.

My point is it would be great to get 3 of 4, however there are other factors involved. We don't have to get so bent out of shape when Nebraska recruits give another school interest. Sometimes our staff knows this and that is why it looks like we back off someone that we all feel we should be giving more love.

Guys - I get that it would make sense for us to dominate Nebraska, however there are two factors against that.

1) We haven't been dominating college football since the day these 17/18 year old kids were born

- so these kids aren't as programmed as kids 20 years ago were to dream about only playing for one school ... that being NU

2) Some kids have lived here their entire life and want to leave.

My point is it would be great to get 3 of 4, however there are other factors involved. We don't have to get so bent out of shape when Nebraska recruits give another school interest. Sometimes our staff knows this and that is why it looks like we back off someone that we all feel we should be giving more love.

See post #114

Agree that should be the goal but our in-state pipeline has always had some leaks. Junior Bryant from Creighton Prep in the early 90s was one that always stuck with me. Great HS DE/DL but chose Notre Dame. Can't blame him but would have loved to see him in Lincoln...