The General Election

This is sheer cowardice from McCain. Even now he's promoting the Republican Party and the presidential candidate he has personally endorsed. If he means half of what he says, and that does seem to be the measure of the man, then all of these complaints he is airing against Trump are minor issues of secondary importance.

Because ultimately, as long as there's a moonshot of Trump promoting a conservative agenda, McCain will go for it. All decency and dignity be damned.

I wouldn't say that.

To be cowardice would be to sit back and not call out Trump.

He is an elected official of the Republican Party. Of course he is going to promote the republican agenda.

But, it's extremely rare that a sitting senator would call out the party's presidential candidate. In fact, I don't think I ever remember it happening till this year.

You probably don't agree with him on issues, but it's not cowardice to publicly say what is in that graphic.

He also is the one that has continued to correct people from the right that said Obama is muslim.

• Fire 3

Good stuff, BRB.

I found this part interesting:

And one thing their data from 1952 to 2008 clearly shows, according to Princeton election expert Sam Wang, is that head-to-head polls after the conventions are actually great predictors of who will win the race. In fact, the candidate ahead in polls two weeks after the conventions has gone on to win the popular vote in all 16 elections the political scientists studied, according to Voxs Andrew Prokop.

Pretty much confirms that we could decrease the election process down to about a third of what it is.

He's done all that, BRB, without withdrawing his support for Trump.

Why? Speaker Ryan has disavowed many of the things Trump has said, too. So have other GOP leaders. All while continuing to endorse the man and support his campaign for presidency.

Until they show otherwise via their actions, they're simply pretending to take umbrage with the vile examples Trump routinely sets. If they actually cared about those things half as much as they say they do, they would have dropped their support for the man long ago.

• Fire 3

False equivalency.

You'd have to buy into all the fruitless scandal-chasing that's dogged Clinton for decades. You'd have to swallow this hysteria that she's an anti-American criminal and not a flawed, typical politician who has made mistakes and earned her share of political embarrassment. And you're suggesting Democrats disavow her for a private email server while attempting to be understanding of Republicans who won't drop Trump for bigotry and xenophobia.

I think they are both pieces of crap that shouldn't be president.

However, I understand the very bad situation congress people are in when these two represent your party.

McCain is a very unique individual that's willing to work for a conservative agenda but at the same time speak out when his side does something stupid like what trump did here or conservatives who try to demonized Obama by claiming he's muslim.

That's not being a coward.

If McCain leads a GOP revolt, then you'll be right. And this may well be the precursor to that.

Until then, I don't see it, and I think these criticisms are completely merited.

Any number of Republicans in states where they have to play to a moderate constituency -- and especially in the face of strong Democrat challenges to their seats in November -- are finding some sweetly accommodating things to say while continuing their very real, very actual alignment with Donald J. Trump.

Kelly Ayotte is just aghast, and by the way, New Hampshire, she also met with Merrick Garland. That's not unique. It's not brave, or special. It barely deserves brownie points.

Looks like Trumps campaign reached out to try and get some support for the current media attention surrounding his comments surrounding the Khan family:

Rob Wasinger, a onetime congressional candidate who has been working for the Trump camp on congressional outreach, sent an email to senior Senate aides saying, "We want to get several member statements out today on this, and would really appreciate your help." A similar appeal was made to Republicans in the House of Representatives, according to a senior aide.

Attached to the appeal were talking points lawmakers could use to try to tamp down the controversy growing since last week's appearance at the Democratic convention by the Khans, the parents of U.S. Army Captain Humayun Khan, who was killed by a bomb in Iraq 12 years ago.

The appeal did not generate any help for Trump.

Only a dope would even respond to the Khans, it's a no-win situation.

Only Donald Trump would try to play the victim and lash back like a child.

He's a dummy candidate. I've been saying this from day one. He's reacting exactly the wrong way, exactly the way a guy who doesn't want to win the presidency would/should react.

It's going to be Clinton. We've been set up.