The General Election

I don't know. I think Clinton botched the email explanations. She still hasn't figured out a way to explain that situation that doesn't come across as lying directly to your face. But I personally don't consider that disqualifying.

By contrast, I thought she sounded much more comfortable and confident talking about keeping Iran in line and combatting ISIS.

By comparison, Trump ripped our military, talked about how strong Putin was, and his master plan for preventing another ISIS from springing up is to "Take the oil." That's it.

I'm not impartial, but I am tired of false equivalency. There's a bit of a chasm between those two.

Of course she is going to sound more intelligent talking about it. She has been working in that situation for years and The Donald is a flaky want-ta-be diplomat that doesn't have a clue what is going on. Even though...according to him....he knows more about ISIS than anyone including the generals.

But, she is still someone I don't want anywhere close to the Oval Office in charge of all of this. Call it false equivalency...or what ever you want. Both of them suck and both of them should not be be this close to that office.

Let's just say... they suck for different reasons? Is that a good explanation to your opinion?

I forgot a couple gems from last night. A female Marine asked what he was going to do to stop the 20 suicides a day from veterans. He felt the need to immediately correct her to 22, and he got the statistic wrong anyway.

He also defended a tweet he made suggesting that military rape was our own fault for putting men and women together. "Frankly, it's a correct Tweet."

FFS... :facepalm:

I don't know. I think Clinton botched the email explanations. She still hasn't figured out a way to explain that situation that doesn't come across as lying directly to your face. But I personally don't consider that disqualifying.

By contrast, I thought she sounded much more comfortable and confident talking about keeping Iran in line and combatting ISIS.

By comparison, Trump ripped our military, talked about how strong Putin was, and his master plan for preventing another ISIS from springing up is to "Take the oil." That's it.

I'm not impartial, but I am tired of false equivalency. There's a bit of a chasm between those two.

Of course she is going to sound more intelligent talking about it. She has been working in that situation for years and The Donald is a flaky want-ta-be diplomat that doesn't have a clue what is going on. Even though...according to him....he knows more about ISIS than anyone including the generals.

But, she is still someone I don't want anywhere close to the Oval Office in charge of all of this. Call it false equivalency...or what ever you want. Both of them suck and both of them should not be be this close to that office.

Let's just say... they suck for different reasons? Is that a good explanation to your opinion?

I forgot a couple gems from last night. A female Marine asked what he was going to do to stop the 20 suicides a day from veterans. He felt the need to immediately correct her to 22, and he got the statistic wrong anyway.

He also defended a tweet he made suggesting that military rape was our own fault for putting men and women together. "Frankly, it's a correct Tweet."

FFS... :facepalm:

Yes....

Other than the fact that both lie constantly. So....I just have to shake my head when one side cries about the other one lying.

Mike Pence's job is to present a polished face on top of Trump's serving of bile. Kind of scary, isn't it? The calming effect it has.

It's proof of party politics.

It doesn't matter what Trump says. Republicans are going to latch onto it are repeat it and agree with it.

I remember reading a look of I believe state & local legislators' voting records and found that they basically (80%?) vote along party lines.

Which makes the nationally negotiated party platform pretty important. And also illustrates the futility of believing in "mavericks". To a degree there are certainly differences between politicians, but they're constrained by their parties whether or not they advertise something different.

• Fire 1

Regarding the forum last night, both candidates had some gaffes as you might expect. I think expectations are lower for Trump, so he probably did a "better" job than Hillary. His praise of Putin was a mistake, and Hillary's statement that she will "never ever" send troops to Iraq and Syria was a mistake too. How do we know that may never be needed, AND we already have troops there. Her statement about not losing anyone in Libya was a mistake.

With Trump leading in Ohio now and ahead or tied in Florida, the battlegrounds are tightening so the debates will be very important. HIllary will try to bait Trump into over-reacting, and he will try to get under her skin by saying things like she is "trigger happy." To convince any remaining undecided, here is what both need to do:

1. Trump must overcome Hillary's message that he is unfit and doesn't have the temperament to be POTUS. Thus, he will need to demonstrate a calm but firm tone throughout the debates.

2. Hillary must overcome Trump's message that she is unfit because she can't be trusted and has shown bad judgment as a public figure. The only way I can see her overcoming this is to sincerely admit she's lied about many topics and that she's ready to move on and focus on the issues facing the American people.

Mike Pence's job is to present a polished face on top of Trump's serving of bile. Kind of scary, isn't it? The calming effect it has.

It's proof of party politics.It doesn't matter what Trump says. Republicans are going to latch onto it are repeat it and agree with it.

I remember reading a look of I believe state & local legislators' voting records and found that they basically (80%?) vote along party lines.Which makes the nationally negotiated party platform pretty important. And also illustrates the futility of believing in "mavericks". To a degree there are certainly differences between politicians, but they're constrained by their parties whether or not they advertise something different.

So Zoogs, if they are so constrained by their parties, would it be fair to say that the office of President, is simply a figure head position?