Uncle Milt on Rotate-gate

So now we are upset that the guys playing are the ones that fit the coach's system not the one we want them to run.

Makes perfect sense.

Well, the coaches' system led the nation in interceptions, was a big part of having a 6-7 record and was admitted by the coaches that they probably should have been doing things differently during the year.

So ..... yeah.

• Fire 2

So now we are upset that the guys playing are the ones that fit the coach's system not the one we want them to run.

Makes perfect sense.

Well, the coaches' system led the nation in interceptions, was a big part of having a 6-7 record and was admitted by the coaches that they probably should have been doing things differently during the year.

So ..... yeah.

^Boliever

Makes perfect sense.

So ..... yeah.

You are really reaching on this one...

• Fire 3

Makes perfect sense.

So ..... yeah.

Stumpy, before people jump down your throat, I think you should specify why you disagree.

Makes perfect sense.

So ..... yeah.

Stumpy, before people jump down your throat, I think you should specify why you disagree.
Mavric is now trying to turn an argument about how many oline players should rotated that has somehow shifted to an argument about which players were truly the best 5 last year into an argument about whether the offensive system is the right fit. This trail of weird tangents is pretty funny to watch.
  • Fire 1

I think we can all agree we'd like to be in a position to play reserves more often. I've yet to encounter a compelling argument as to why Cav, Milt, and the vast majority of football coaches have actually been doing it wrong all along. The goalposts continue to move into increasingly unstable ground.

• Fire 2

I think we can all agree we'd like to be in a position to play reserves more often. I've yet to encounter a compelling argument as to why Cav, Milt, and the vast majority of football coaches have actually been doing it wrong all along. The goalposts continue to move into increasingly unstable ground.

Milt wasn't doing it wrong. He played his reserves during meaningful minutes of games.

He is just laying down cover for a fellow OL when he says he didn't. And that's cool. That's in line with his consistent loyalties toward each OL coach at NU.

Cav's approach is consistent with the NFL. I don't think it is consistent with most college coaches.

• Fire 2

Milt wasn't doing it wrong. He played his reserves during meaningful minutes of games.

He is just laying down cover for a fellow OL when he says he didn't. And that's cool. That's in line with his consistent loyalties toward each OL coach at NU.

Cav's approach is consistent with the NFL. I don't think it is consistent with most college coaches.

I agree with your first to points here, cm. I remember seeing many backups play early in games for Milt. In fact, whenever Vrzal is on the radio discussing the OL from the 90's, he often notes that a great reason why they had depth was because coaches played backups during meaningful minutes of the games. If Milt wants to try to say otherwise now to make Husker Nation back Cav's coach preference, fine by me. He can display his loyality however he wants, but we don't have to agree when film is available as a counterpoint.

• Fire 2

Makes perfect sense.

So ..... yeah.

Which points am I reaching about?

Makes perfect sense.

So ..... yeah.

Mavric is now trying to turn an argument about how many oline players should rotated that has somehow shifted to an argument about which players were truly the best 5 last year into an argument about whether the offensive system is the right fit. This trail of weird tangents is pretty funny to watch.

That is the heart of the argument. It seems pretty obvious that most of the reason why certain players played over others - both on the offensive line and in the backfield - was because they were better pass blockers. Several players have said that themselves. It's pretty obvious that the coaches favored players who were better pass blockers.

Actually, you're the one trying to shift the argument. We weren't discussing is the offensive system is the right fit. We were discussing which players fit the system. There's a difference.

Makes perfect sense.

So ..... yeah.

That is the heart of the argument. It seems pretty obvious that most of the reason why certain players played over others - both on the offensive line and in the backfield - was because they were better pass blockers. Several players have said that themselves. It's pretty obvious that the coaches favored players who were better pass blockers.

Actually, you're the one trying to shift the argument. We weren't discussing is the offensive system is the right fit. We were discussing which players fit the system. There's a difference.

Coaches Cav and Davis said as much as well when asked about Foster and Wilbon, respectively.

• Fire 2

Yeah, he didn't say he never did this. It's just not as frequent an occurrence as some people wish to believe.

This isn't accurate. He's simply offering perspective of how he did things.

I think that's inconsistent with the realities of college football. There isn't some great disparity between college and pro here. Most generally, coaches want their best blockers in the game as much as possible. Typically that's the top 5, but sometimes there a 6th or 7th guy they're equally as comfortable with. Sometimes, but very rarely, there's even more than that.
  • Fire 1

Milt specifically cited the Miami game as one where they did not substitute. He was objectively incorrect; at least two backups played early in that orange bowl.

He may be "adding perspective" but he's factually wrong. Maybe it was young who was doing the substituting.

In any event it doesn't really matter. But we should try to keep the historical record intact.

• Fire 4

Let me first state that I believe Milt was a great coach and don't want any misunderstanding of where I am coming from but I recall very well the coaches stating the interest in getting meaningful game snaps for the backups and their backups. We had offensive lines that were 3 deep and good. Now, if Milt is saying that the current coaches don't have the luxury of being able to put in the seconds and thirds and expecting 'winning' football from them, that may well be true. During a large part of Milt's tenure, we 'reloaded' and didn't rebuild the O line. Offensive linemen were recruited and then put into the system and it was very common for guys to redshirt and then wait their turn as starters during their freshmen and sophomore seasons as the upper classmen who had likewise paid their dues and worked their way through the 'pipeline' system had done before them.

But, they reached a point where the depth during the mid/late nineties was incredibly strong. Nebraska's second string O line was better than the starters on most teams we played. Often, we could have played our third string line and expected to win the game nonetheless. This allowed for free substitutions and WE DID so, often giving the seconds a series or two in the middle of the second quarter. Of course, we normally had a substantial lead and 'knew' we had the game in control. Riley and Pelini and Callahan and Frank all had very few games where this was true after about 1999. The decade of dominance ended abruptly in 2000 really. While there have been some big wins since 2000, there are not that many and far too many games where the winner was not decided before the middle or late 4th quarter. This does not afford the 'luxury' of playing the backups. This in turn means each year you are gong to spend much of the first half of the season getting 'experience' and developing team chemistry and unity and confidence, etc. This is why some of us feel that in the 'rebuilding' years, you must look to the future with your mind open. While nobody wants to lose, you need to seriously consider sacrifice of a some wins now for the future of the program. The win now and let the future take care of itself approach almost never works in my opinion.

You want to win but to win championships you must have a full blown 'program' and not just a team. The interests of each and every team member, coach and other staff members MUST be subject to the overall interests in building the program to championship level. Players who are unwilling to sacrifice their personal wishes to those of the greater good of the team and program are to be avoided really. Players who leave or refuse to support the team because they think they should be starter as freshmen notwithstanding there are better players above them on the chart become part of the problem and not the solution. And conversely, upper classmen don't get to start because of age seniority and must be the better player. Choices for who plays with 'even' Senior vs sophomore) are made based on the future and not just the current season,.

It seems to me that there has been far too much pressure placed on each of the coahces (Frank, Bill, Bo and Mike) to win right out of the starting gate, expecting miracles really. Solich was given the best chance and opportunity to take over and win at the highest levels from the beginning as he was given the BEST job in the country in a program that was maybe in the best condtion ever. He failed to keep things rolling along and stumbled badly. The depth and capacity to 'reload' was lost and we began to rebuild. Callahan thought he could do it in a couple years but his ego exceeded his capacity obviously. Be gave it a heck of try with Tom's supervision and guidance no doubt. He didn't get it done. Now, Riley is given his shot. He wasn't fired or burned at the stake after this first season (a disaster at 6-7 no doubt) so perhaps there is some realization that we have to rebuild the 'program' from the ground up. That means we don't worry as much about winning now because we are focused on the long term growth and development of the 'program' over the immediate teams issues. Unfortunately, in my view, we should have played far more youth than we did so that by this fall, we are not starting anyone (offense, defense, special teams) that has not 'lettered' with significant playing time when the game is still yet to decided. Whether we substitute one or two guys or by whole unit, we need to play our seconds and thirds some to get the acclimated to the challenges and speed of the game and to experience live and 3D living color what it takes to play winning Big Ten football.

• Fire 1