Uncle Milt on Rotate-gate

So now we are upset that the guys playing are the ones that fit the coach's system not the one we want them to run.

Makes perfect sense.

Well, the coaches' system led the nation in interceptions, was a big part of having a 6-7 record and was admitted by the coaches that they probably should have been doing things differently during the year.

So ..... yeah.

You are really reaching on this one...

Stumpy, before people jump down your throat, I think you should specify why you disagree.
Mavric is now trying to turn an argument about how many oline players should rotated that has somehow shifted to an argument about which players were truly the best 5 last year into an argument about whether the offensive system is the right fit. This trail of weird tangents is pretty funny to watch.

That is the heart of the argument. It seems pretty obvious that most of the reason why certain players played over others - both on the offensive line and in the backfield - was because they were better pass blockers. Several players have said that themselves. It's pretty obvious that the coaches favored players who were better pass blockers.

Actually, you're the one trying to shift the argument. We weren't discussing is the offensive system is the right fit. We were discussing which players fit the system. There's a difference.

I haven't shifted anything, the argument was about 1) why the staff doesn't rotate more on the o-line and now 2) which 5 should have been playing and why certain players were playing over others. Somehow the 2nd was the immediate go to once Milt blew up the argument on 1. Your the one that made a statement about the offensive system being the wrong system due to the high number on INTs and that the coaches know they need to modify it going forward.

There are seriously people contending that Milt doesn't remember what really happened, or is purposely lying about it to give the new staff cover? So old Uncle Milt is either addle-pated or downright deceitful, huh? :facepalm:

If Milt says they didn't rotate during the '95 Orange Bowl, he's factually wrong.

I don't understand why it's so uncomfortable for some to acknowledge that.

• Fire 2

But go watch the 1995 Orange Bowl against Miami, he tells you. "We didn't sub in that baby. We played those five guys the whole length of that ballgame." If it's a tight game, when it comes to your top group, "you better leave their butts in there."

Wiegert played every snap. Wilks played every snap. Stai played every snap. Zatechka was out one series in the first half and one play in the second. Graham was out 1 series in the first half. 1 in the second. They actually changed the line in that they flipped Stai and Wilks so that Stai was on Sapp's side frequently with a double team from the center. Never less than 4 starters in at the same time. No points scored when a non-starter was in. Not exactly like they were rolling 'em in and out at will, but only three linemen actually played every snap.

"I remember in '97, we went through almost that entire year with six players, and luckily didn't get anyone hurt or banged up," said Tenopir, sharp as can be in naming off his former players. "Matt Hoskinson was our swing guy. And then later in the year, Adam Julch came along, I rolled him in there a little bit."

"I've watched enough of his practices to know that he has the best five in there. There was quite a measurable difference between ones and twos," Tenopir said of last year. "Fortunately, he has a chance right now to have seven or eight or nine players to be ready to play this fall. But I'm not saying he's going to do that, because I'd do the same thing he did. If the game was in doubt, I'd play my best five."

The point he appears to be making is that he didn't feel there were people to rotate in last year from what he observed. I guess I will have to go with what Milt is saying on this, even though I would like to see a "second line" get a series here and there. Maybe we will see that if scores allow. Don't know.

• Fire 4

So now we are upset that the guys playing are the ones that fit the coach's system not the one we want them to run.

Makes perfect sense.

This. Is. Beautiful.

Well, as Mav pointed out, the system was less than successful. We decided to throw the ball with a QB that doesn't fit his strengths, and the coaches have the audacity to complain about a lack of consistency in the running game as a reason they didn't go to it as often during the season.

They were supposed to run a system that fit the teams strengths early into their tenure, mold what they wanted to do based off what we have. Some evidence suggests they were pounding square pegs into round holes.

• Fire 3

There are seriously people contending that Milt doesn't remember what really happened, or is purposely lying about it to give the new staff cover? So old Uncle Milt is either addle-pated or downright deceitful, huh? :facepalm:

If Milt says they didn't rotate during the '95 Orange Bowl, he's factually wrong.

I don't think anyone is uncomfortable to acknowledge he was ever so slightly mistaken about a minor detail as much as splitting hairs is just a waste of time.

It does nothing to address the bigger picture in any meaningful way.

• Fire 3

I don't think anyone is uncomfortable to acknowledge he was ever so slightly mistaken about a minor detail as much as splitting hairs is just a waste of time.

When did you get so eloquent and start posting meaningful paragraphs?

A slight mistake... It was the central example.

Anyway, coaches can and should do whatever they want. But many Husker OL have come out and said, as backups, they regularly rotated in. Not wholesale swaps, which would be silly, but for a play here and a series there. That's what actually went on under TO, whether Milt remembers accuretly or not.

And for the record, no one thinks anyone is "lying" whether we are talking about Milt or the former players who remember things differently.

• Fire 2