“The truth is no outside academic leader has dented Nebraska’s athletic and academic standing over the years more than Bob Berdahl."

Listen, its a fair point BUT...

These days the more I think about it, NU blaming the rules or Texas is pretty lame. It is ( in a very light sense) similar to the Germans blaming the Jews for their problems. For example if TO had been 20 years younger when the B12 was formed, we wouldnt even be having this conversation. You cant blame others for your own problems. Fact is we had a retiring coach and no good direction. We had no Bob Stoops to keep us riding high. Still dont for that matter.

In general I agree with this sentiment, but when some one bends the rules of a vote in an effort to purposefully hurt you, I think it's safe to blame them at that point.

It has always baffled me why anyone would have a problem with prop 48 kids. Seriously....a school takes a kid in, gives him a chance to prove himself academically before he does anything athletically.

What argument could any administrator or NCAA official possibly come up with to where this is a bad thing? Even take Nebraska completely out of the conversation and the argument for this ban makes absolutely no sense.

Yes it does. It nationalized something so things could be "fair".

Just like everything else has to be these days.

These days the more I think about it, NU blaming the rules or Texas is pretty lame. It is ( in a very light sense) similar to the Germans blaming the Jews for their problems. For example if TO had been 20 years younger when the B12 was formed, we wouldnt even be having this conversation. You cant blame others for your own problems. Fact is we had a retiring coach and no good direction. We had no Bob Stoops to keep us riding high. Still dont for that matter.

One could easily argue that we didn't have a retiring coach had this not happened.

You don't cite health as a reason to get out and then become a congressman, and then late AD of the university.

It was a way to say goodbye but he wasn't telling the truth, no one will ever convince me of that because of his path he led after.

To me, TO was upset. Didn't want to deal, and decided to run. As harsh as that sounds and doesn't feel good to say either.

One could easily argue that we didn't have a retiring coach had this not happened.

You don't cite health as a reason to get out and then become a congressman, and then late AD of the university.

It was a way to say goodbye but he wasn't telling the truth, no one will ever convince me of that because of his path he led after.

To me, TO was upset. Didn't want to deal, and decided to run. As harsh as that sounds and doesn't feel good to say either.

it isn't hard to fathom that all of this DID play a role on his health and that after getting out his health improved. Is he supposed to curl into a ball and die because he retired from football? neither of those paths, to him, felt anything like being a coach. He was just an interim AD, and never intended to be full time. I have no doubt he was upset about all this, and maybe even felt others were out to get him.. which it ate at him bringing down his health.

Maybe Osborne was sick of dealing with the crap that went along with coaching, and he wanted to get out of the game. He retired from coaching, but that doesn't mean he has to retire from doing other things. He went into politics to try and help out his native Nebraska district and state. Why was that a bad thing for him to do? He didn't owe NU anything by sticking around longer than he did.

I know there are stories about how he didn't really want to leave coaching and how he promised the job to Solich, so that's why he retired from NU. But, are people still "upset" with Osborne for retiring when he did? Let the man do what he wants to do. I think we would all want the ability to do so in our lives.

What if the Big Ten decided to add Mizzou instead of us had our AAU status been revoked sooner? Would we be in the SEC today with A&M?

That would be a great question to pose to Harvey & Tom. I'm not sure the SEC wanted us, or that the core values of the SEC are what we wanted for the University of Nebraska system. But it's a heck of a question.

I don't think NU would have even considered the SEC, unless Oklahoma & Texas were going to leave the conference. I also don't see the SEC wanting NU without OU as a package deal.

NU got they best option in my opinion. The Big Ten fits NU better then the SEC, ACC or Pac 12. Those were the only really options NU would have had if they wanted to leave & had not been invited to the Big Ten.

He had promised Frank that he would retire and let Frank take over with some date on that. I gather it was about 1995 or so. But then they got rolling and he stayed around an extra couple years but decided it was actually time to follow through on his promise so he called it quits.

My understanding is that he talked to Frank about that in 1990 or so, around the time that Alvarez wanted Frank to join him at Wisconsin.

I could see by that time TO being pretty tired. Even guys like Bill Walsh were arguing that the game had passed him by. So I agree, I could see him having thought he'd step down by '95.

As to the evidence of him "running away" because he later became a congressman, it takes probably 1/10th as much effort to be a congressman than to run a successful Nebraska football program.

What if the Big Ten decided to add Mizzou instead of us had our AAU status been revoked sooner? Would we be in the SEC today with A&M?

That would be a great question to pose to Harvey & Tom. I'm not sure the SEC wanted us, or that the core values of the SEC are what we wanted for the University of Nebraska system. But it's a heck of a question.

I don't think NU would have even considered the SEC, unless Oklahoma & Texas were going to leave the conference. I also don't see the SEC wanting NU without OU as a package deal.

NU got they best option in my opinion. The Big Ten fits NU better then the SEC, ACC or Pac 12. Those were the only really options NU would have had if they wanted to leave & had not been invited to the Big Ten.

I think if the options were stay in the Big 12, join the SEC or go Independent....we would have Notre Dame on our schedule this year.

• Fire 2

Our former Big 8 pals are going to soon reap what they have sown. Enjoying the CUSA and MW you morons.

And I agree with those above, why hasn't UNL sued Berdahl? To me there is a case there so why not pursue it to restore our AAU status?

IIRC, One of the biggest issues with Nebraska's standing in the AAU was that agricultural research was/is not considered. Also the separation of the Med School from the University was a big hit. I would think that those two points would have to be rectified in some way before we would even have a case.

The change to ag research not being considered was a recent (past decade) development, which is when Nebraska began ranking at/near the bottom of their list of member institutions and why they were a candidate for expulsion. Other schools (e.g. Syracuse) were caught by the same problem, but after the Nebraska debacle and how messy it was, decided on not fighting and quietly resigned from the AAU.

And it's hard to show damages with regards to this asshat's actions. If, for example, the B1G rescinded their invitation or kicked us out...then a case could be made, and considering how loosey-goosey the AAU leadership (read: Berdahl) was playing with the rules, considerable traction would have likely been made on the part of DoNU.