Riley brings gang-rape survivor Brenda Tracy to Nebraska

I read an article about this on Yahoo. A lot of the comments were something like "Riley better start winning so his guys can get away with anything like when Tom was coach....etc"

Was it really that bad back then? I remember LP and the Peters brothers in a few fights but I wasn't a student at UNL.

Serious question, asking people who were students at UNL when Oz was the coach.

Who are the Peters brothers?

In all seriousness, I was a student at UNL at this time. I was too young and stupid to realize that what LP did was a heinous act. Now, I have never hit a woman, and don't condone it ever, but I just thought, we need LP back on the team. 20 years older, I would have wanted him to be done at NU, and LP was my favorite Husker RB of all time.

Regarding Christian Peter, and some of the other guys who got in "trouble", I didn't think much of it. I was just enjoying a kick ass football team, going to class, and partying on the weekends.

I had a chance to meet her while she was in town today.

She had an incredible message to share, and I'm hopeful she could be an X factor in helping to change the culture on college campuses, and nationwide

Focusing on campuses and athletes, though - the culture needs to be that sexual assaults are NOT, and never will be, acceptable.

Her son has actually written a letter to the NCAA about banning violent athletes from competitive sports - her son even garnered a response and has a petition going on change.org.

https://www.change.org/p/dear-ncaa-create-a-policy-that-bans-violent-athletes

• Fire 3

I had a chance to meet her while she was in town today.

She had an incredible message to share, and I'm hopeful she could be an X factor in helping to change the culture on college campuses, and nationwide

Focusing on campuses and athletes, though - the culture needs to be that sexual assaults are NOT, and never will be, acceptable.

Her son has actually written a letter to the NCAA about banning violent athletes from competitive sports - her son even garnered a response and has a petition going on change.org.

https://www.change.org/p/dear-ncaa-create-a-policy-that-bans-violent-athletes

+1

Would be really awesome to see the Huskers don something teal for a gameday. If there is an alternate jersey, that would be my preference, it would be very impactful and another classy move by the Nebraska program. It would also be cool to see teal balloons released instead of red balloons.

In light of another recent story about a football program dropping the ball, this is a great story which can produce even greater storylines with more awareness and eventual direct impact to reduce these crimes.

Definitely a positive thing for all parties involved. I just hope that something comes of this more than a PR win. I'm not going to go back and pull posts from old threads, but I seem to recall a lack of compassion for the alleged victim in the TA/Westercamp apartment fiasco.

It is easy to have compassion for Brenda Tracey as a Husker fan many years removed from the Oregon State incident. It is much harder to do so when it affects the football program and players you follow. Questioning the motives of an (alleged) rape victim without knowledge of the situation is what I read from many anonymous posters here.

I think something like this (the BT speaking thing) could and maybe should happen on a regular (annual) basis. That would at least keep it fresh in all of our minds for the next time.

• Fire 1

Anyone think this may have happened sooner than it may have normally b/c of situation at TA's house this past season?

I don't think so because Brenda said Mike extended the offer for her to visit and meet with him while he was still at Oregon St, but that his move to Nebraska jostled their plans. She said he re-extended the offer to her once he got to Nebraska.

I guess it's possible, but I personally doubt it played a factor. Plus, Brenda made it pretty clear this visit was about her and her own terms. She said she finally felt ready to confront him.

I think something like this (the BT speaking thing) could and maybe should happen on a regular (annual) basis. That would at least keep it fresh in all of our minds for the next time.

This for sure. As stated in one of the articles, it should be happing across most/all schools as well.

And I would also toss in an annual speaker who have had their life altered due to drunk driving.