Riley brings gang-rape survivor Brenda Tracy to Nebraska

Illegal is not my point. I'm not saying anything *illegal* was condoned. I'm pointing out that society unblinkingly, unthinkingly relegates women to accessories for successful men. To the extent that this happens in reverse (which wouldn't be the goal), the criteria are *very* different. Successful, beautiful women are going to make some man really lucky one day. Successful men get access to all the best booty. The way we talk about things is important.

I'm not out here to demonize people for thinking this way. I think it's pretty deeply ingrained habit. But it's worth changing, so I think it's worth pointing it out.

IDK if there'll be a link. It was just after the game, and the two radio guys were chatting about players who had made a name for themselves and were about to become known.

Illegal is not my point. I'm not saying anything *illegal* was condoned. I'm pointing out that society unblinkingly, unthinkingly relegates women to accessories for successful men. To the extent that this happens in reverse (which wouldn't be the goal), the criteria are *very* different. Successful, beautiful women are going to make some man really lucky one day. Successful men get access to all the best booty. The way we talk about things is important.

I'm not out here to demonize people for thinking this way. I think it's pretty deeply ingrained habit. But it's worth changing, so I think it's worth pointing it out.

IDK if there'll be a link. It was just after the game, and the two radio guys were chatting about players who had made a name for themselves and were about to become known.

I might be a bit slow on this and if I am my apoligies. So what you're saying is the male in the situation is treating the female as nothing but a sexual object instead of a human being? If that's the case then yeah that person's a douche. I was thinking more along the lines of a male wanting a one night stand, which I don't think there's a problem with. Am I understanding correctly?

• Fire 1

So shes always been a Nebraska fan and took a selfie with her Nebraska shirt on and tweeted it out b/c things between her and HCMR arent better? I mean, i get where you are going, but i dont think you can say things arent better between her and HCMR.

Hm, I get what you are saying -- I was talking about Brenda's mission in general, not things between her and Riley, so maybe I misinterpreted the original post.

Although while maybe HCMR has longed for the day where he could make things better between him and Brenda, I don't think this is true in reverse. So 'load off her shoulders' still strikes me a little odd, but I sort of know what you all are saying.

To me, Brenda's mission is advocacy, not catharsis. The burdens of the past she has long settled on her own, since she had to. Having Riley as a staunch, high-profile ally in her current mission -- yes, that's a big positive.

I might be a bit slow on this and if I am my apoligies. So what you're saying is the male in the situation is treating the female as nothing but a sexual object instead of a human being? If that's the case then yeah that person's a douche. I was thinking more along the lines of a male wanting a one night stand, which I don't think there's a problem with. Am I understanding correctly?

Ahh, we're talking on a totally different plane here. I'm not worried about what the mindset of the individual athlete is. I'm talking about the language and the attitude of the radio comments. What does it say about us that we think the logical outcome of a good day at the office [for men] is access to romance [from women]? Shouldn't we be better than that?

It wasn't some brash, uncouth idiot making the comments, either. Which I think underscores how second nature it is. "Look, a successful man. The ladies must be dying to get with him." ... you know? Hope this makes sense.

• Fire 1

Ahh, we're talking on a totally different plane here. I'm not worried about what the mindset of the individual athlete is. I'm talking about the language and the attitude of the radio comments. What does it say about us that we think the logical outcome of a good day at the office [for men] is access to romance [from women]? Shouldn't we be better than that?

It wasn't some brash, uncouth idiot making the comments, either. Which I think underscores how second nature it is. "Look, a successful man. The ladies must be dying to get with him." ... you know? Hope this makes sense.

Was he joking about the comment? If he was, I mean that isn't something to really joke about and we should not be allowing that to happen. It's still not as bad as the Musburger meltdown about AJ McCarron's girlfriend, which was really weird. All in all Matt has tenure for life with the Husker network so he will never be fired from there, unless he does or says something that is really bad.

As long as it's consensual it's not our place to judge. Admittedly weird comment to make though.

Yeah, consent wasn't a part of Davison's remarks though. It's the parlance. We have a society that casually treats women as conquests. Success (not just athletic) naturally means the acquisition of female companionship, wink, wink, if you know what I mean, up top, right, fellas?

Break that mold.

I didn't hear Davison's comment but I'm sure he's not condoning any illegal action. Second, people are naturally more attracted to successful people. I also don't care if they use that success, be it male or female, to sleep around. As long as it's two consenting adults what's the problem?

It's pretty simple, really:

Would you ever hear or imagine a commentator making a comment regarding Serena Williams, or Candace Parker, or Ronda Roussey, or *insert great female athlete*, along the lines of, "I bet she gets all the men"?

• Fire 1

Zoogs & LOMS have covered anything I would have said. It wasn't said with bad intent at all, it was just another example of how men tend to look at women. It's gotten better since we were supposed to "be barefoot and pregnant" but is still a battle to gain equality in minds.

Matt is a role model - in general because he is in the public eye but more so because he is a legend there in NE. Kids know who his is (can't say that for many bald, shorter guys in NE). He is a face of the program. What he said amounts to "locker room talk" to a lesser extent of course than our POTUS, but nonetheless, he has to be aware of everything he says when that mic is on - this was a mistake.