Gun Control

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/06/13/gun-laws-deter-terrorists-opposing-view/85844946/

Destroy radical Islam, not the right of law-abiding Americans to protect themselves.

Americans were shocked and disgusted to learn of another act of terrorism on our soil, this time in Orlando. In the aftermath of this terrorist attack, President Obama and Hillary Clinton renewed calls for more gun control, including a ban on whole categories of semi-automatic firearms. They are desperate to create the illusion that they’re doing something to protect us because their policies can’t and won’t keep us safe. This transparent head-fake should scare every American, because it will do nothing to prevent the next attack.

The terrorist in Orlando had been investigated multiple times by the FBI. He had a government-approved security guard license with a contractor for the Department of Homeland Security. Yet his former co-workers reported violent and racist comments. Unfortunately, the Obama administration’s political correctness prevented anything from being done about it.

So we shouldn't address gun violence, gun safety, or gun security, or accessibility? Just terrorists?

yes we should to all of those but the last one... enacting more gun control won't do anything.

Why exactly do you think more gun control (which includes deeper background checks, perhaps pscyhe evaluations prior to purchase, etc.) won't do "anything?" You legitimately believe it would have absolutely zero impact on the situation?

Why is this so hard to understand, am I talking to a wall? Guns are not the problem.

pscyhe evaluations? Do you not realize how that could also harm normal everyday Americans? have you ever taking a pscyhe evaluation? I have for nuke plant related jobs, you can mess them up very easily!

This thread isn't about swords.

It isn't about knives.

It isn't about clubs.

It isn't about spears.

It isn't about crossbows.

It isn't about bombs.

It isn't about poison gas.

Near as I can tell after searching the P&R forum, there aren't any threads talking about a national epidemic of violence perpetrated using any of those weapons.

There are about a dozen threads discussing guns and gun violence, though.

It's pretty safe to say guns are part of the problem.

• Fire 2

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/06/13/gun-laws-deter-terrorists-opposing-view/85844946/

Destroy radical Islam, not the right of law-abiding Americans to protect themselves.

Americans were shocked and disgusted to learn of another act of terrorism on our soil, this time in Orlando. In the aftermath of this terrorist attack, President Obama and Hillary Clinton renewed calls for more gun control, including a ban on whole categories of semi-automatic firearms. They are desperate to create the illusion that they’re doing something to protect us because their policies can’t and won’t keep us safe. This transparent head-fake should scare every American, because it will do nothing to prevent the next attack.

The terrorist in Orlando had been investigated multiple times by the FBI. He had a government-approved security guard license with a contractor for the Department of Homeland Security. Yet his former co-workers reported violent and racist comments. Unfortunately, the Obama administration’s political correctness prevented anything from being done about it.

So we shouldn't address gun violence, gun safety, or gun security, or accessibility? Just terrorists?

yes we should to all of those but the last one... enacting more gun control won't do anything.

Why exactly do you think more gun control (which includes deeper background checks, perhaps pscyhe evaluations prior to purchase, etc.) won't do "anything?" You legitimately believe it would have absolutely zero impact on the situation?

Why is this so hard to understand, am I talking to a wall? Guns are not the problem.

pscyhe evaluations? Do you not realize how that could also harm normal everyday Americans? have you ever taking a pscyhe evaluation? I have for nuke plant related jobs, you can mess them up very easily!

There's no need to be rude. But honestly, what kind of answer is that? Unless you're suggesting a "normal, everyday American" is an uneducated fool, then "normal, everyday Americans" shouldn't have problems passing a psyche evaluation to register their mental stability. Sorry if I don't lose sleep at night over some idiot who probably shouldn't have a gun in the first place. You wouldn't give a gun to a felon, so why would you give one to a fool?

But, that is just one idea of several related to gun control. Lawmakers could implement more strict penalties for retailers who make illegal sales or we could implement more thorough background checks.

All you do is shoot down ideas worth vetting and discussing while simultaneously presenting no real substantive argument of your own. Why be involved in the conversation if you can't be constructive?

• Fire 1

This thread isn't about swords.

It isn't about knives.

It isn't about clubs.

It isn't about spears.

It isn't about crossbows.

It isn't about bombs.

It isn't about poison gas.

Near as I can tell after searching the P&R forum, there aren't any threads talking about a national epidemic of violence perpetrated using any of those weapons.

There are about a dozen threads discussing guns and gun violence, though.

It's pretty safe to say guns are part of have been used as the choice weapon, of those who should have been screened further/deeper to avoid the potential for problems.

Here Knapp, I fixed it for you! :cowbell:

There's no need to be rude. But honestly, what kind of answer is that? Unless you're suggesting a "normal, everyday American" is an uneducated fool, then "normal, everyday Americans" shouldn't have problems passing a psyche evaluation to register their mental stability. Sorry if I don't lose sleep at night over some idiot who probably shouldn't have a gun in the first place. You wouldn't give a gun to a felon, so why would you give one to a fool?

But, that is just one idea of several related to gun control. Lawmakers could implement more strict penalties for retailers who make illegal sales or we could implement more thorough background checks.

All you do is shoot down ideas worth vetting and discussing while simultaneously presenting no real substantive argument of your own. Why be involved in the conversation if you can't be constructive?

You are right, that was rude.. my apologies! With that I am really done this time. :)

What meaningful gun legislation has happened that I missed? 1,000 killed since Sandy Hook, another 4,000 injured. What changes has that bloodshed inspired?

You're speaking in absolutes, only a Sith does that.

But seriously, I feel change is on the horizon. My fear is it is the wrong kind of change. The kind of change that is reactionary to ugly events and not the proper change that would prevent said events.

Here Knapp, I fixed it for you! :cowbell:

Right, because...

No amount of bloodshed will convince the pro-gun people.

Really?

After all my comments in this thread, you think I am so Pro Gun, that I would not consider rational options (requirements prior to gun purchasing) within the "Gun Control" arguments.

Bottom line, test me, investigate me, question me but don't screw me when it comes to me being competent enough to buy, own, shoot any gun I want.

Let's remember to keep the issue of gun control separate from these types of incidents.

We had our chance to stop Omar Mateen, however we somehow elected to dismiss the indicators.

FYI,

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen

In a letter to Facebook Chairman and CEO Mark Zuckerberg asking for the company's assistance in the investigation, Johnson said that Mateen used the social networking platform to "search for and post terrorism-related content."
Mateen's messages include declaring his allegiance to ISIS and calls for the U.S. and Russia to stop bombing the terror group, according to the letter.
One message reportedly said "now taste the Islamic state vengeance."
  • Fire 1

Really, because:

Bottom line, test me, investigate me, question me but don't screw me when it comes to me being competent enough to buy, own, shoot any gun I want.

Is part of the problem.

So you are saying that since someone may want to buy a semi automatic rifle that holds 30 rounds, that this is somehow different than someone wanting to buy a Glock 21/45 auto with a 10 rd clip?

We will have to agree to disagree on this. If they are going to increase background checks to insure someone is cleared to own a gun, it should not be based on a gun that simply holds more rounds!

I truly get the concern you have here Knapp, but replacing a 10 rd clip with another fully loaded 10 rd clip is at most 2 seconds of time.

Screen me, test me, qualify me, but once I pass your exams, don't dictate to me!

• Fire 2