Gun Control

If we called owning M1 Abrams tanks a fundamental right officially recognized by the Constitution, then civil liberties groups would and should stand and defend that right from all incursions. Indeed, just as the problem is not Muslims, it is not people with mental disabilities.

If we called owning M1 Abrams tanks a fundamental right officially recognized by the Constitution, then civil liberties groups would and should stand and defend that right from all incursions. Indeed, just as the problem is not Muslims, it is not people with mental disabilities.

It's not even the mental disabilities part. It's the fact that the classification system is broken.

So the government banning the entry of Muslims is a good thing, but preventing mentally ill people to get guns is a bad thing?

Or.... perhaps banning/punishing people based on groups or classes while denying them due process is a bad thing?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you're confusing demographic groups and classes with a verifiable medical condition that makes you a possible threat to yourself or others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So the government banning the entry of Muslims is a good thing, but preventing mentally ill people to get guns is a bad thing?

Or.... perhaps banning/punishing people based on groups or classes while denying them due process is a bad thing?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you're confusing demographic groups and classes with a verifiable medical condition that makes you a possible threat to yourself or others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The ACLU disagrees, and makes a reasonable stance for why. The classification system is extremely vague.

Right. But the boondoggle that the mentally ill getting ahold of guns is the problem was trotted out by the NRA and parroted by conservative groups for years. We saw dozens of times where people cited mental healthcare in America as the problem right here on HuskerBoard.

• Fire 1

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The ACLU disagrees, and makes a reasonable stance for why.

Doesn't mean I agree with it. Mentally ill people should not have guns.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The ACLU disagrees, and makes a reasonable stance for why.

Doesn't mean I agree with it. Mentally ill people should not have guns.

And I agree. So screen and qualify them if they raise a red flag. But don't deny them without due process.

Right. But the boondoggle that the mentally ill getting ahold of guns is the problem was trotted out by the NRA and parroted by conservative groups for years. We saw dozens of times where people cited mental healthcare in America as the problem right here on HuskerBoard.

Yeah, that was an odd attempt to deflect responsibility. One that I, an avid gun owner, couldn't even get behind. To be clear, just as the problem is not Muslims, and just as the problem isn't people with mental disabilities.... gun violence in this country isn't to be blamed on the average gun owner.

• Fire 1

And unpopular opinion: I believe that pre-emptively banning people from buying guns, or anything else, on the idea that they might do something bad, is unacceptable. No one wants to see another shooting, mass or otherwise, but punishing people before they commit any crime is wrong.

Your first point contradicts your second point.

The desire for a government with that much power is a government that I don't want. I doubt you do either.

Punishing someone for their thoughts is absolutely wrong, but there are mitigating circumstances in which people should not be allowed to purchase firearms, i.e., people convicted of violent felonies, etc.

• Fire 1