Andrew White transferring

You want solid answers, but we're still reading tea leaves. We're still trying to make sense of White's decision to transfer. We don't even know where he's headed.

However, one of the tea leaves seems to guide us toward truth, or some semblance of it.
It's the one in which Nebraska fifth-year coach Tim Miles, as part of a prepared statement sent via text Sunday to our Brian Rosenthal, explained, "There have been discussions with Andrew and his father about Andrew's place in our program for months, and this is his decision."
That particular part of the coach's five-sentence statement — along with Miles acknowledging he's "extremely disappointed" — seems to rule out White transferring because of some sort of non-basketball emergency that just cropped up.
Bottom line, this appears to be Andrew White taking care of Andrew White, putting his professional aspirations ahead of his team.
Only White can give us clarity, and he'll likely reveal little when/if he does choose to speak publicly.

LJS

How good of an NBA prospect White is remains in question. An NBA source told The World-Herald only two of more than 20 pre-draft evaluations indicated White was draft-worthy — both citing the late second round.

During workouts with four teams, White’s offensive skills beyond his 3-point shooting were seen as needing work, especially creating off the dribble and working off of screens. Defensively, even more attention is necessary.

OWH

Wait...so is NU better off with out White and Shields or not? We should probably figure that out first.

This is one of those things in life where there really isn't an answer to this question for White. It is what it is.

He's a good player that could have contributed to our team this year. However, if he were to stay, how really committed to the team would he have been? Would his mind really have been on making Nebraska basketball better? If his mind is wishing he was somewhere else, would he have been a good team player in the locker room?

This is no different than someone who has made the decision to get a new job. If they really wish they were working somewhere else, their contribution to the company they were working for would be diminished.

We won't know for at least 9 months if any of the young guys can and will step up. I personally think there is some really good young talent on the team. Will they meld together to actually be a good team? Now one more of those guys has a chance to prove what he can do and be a part of the starting lineup.

As I said last year - and Nick Bahe seems to agree - White is kind of a one-trick pony. He's a pretty good scorer but doesn't do much else. He can shoot but he doesn't create a lot - not much for himself and basically nothing for his teammates.

We are losing our top two scorers off a not very good offensive team so that's going to be tough to replace. But losing Shields is a much bigger loss overall. I would think Gill can replace White without too much trouble.

As I said last year - and Nick Bahe seems to agree - White is kind of a one-trick pony. He's a pretty good scorer but doesn't do much else. He can shoot but he doesn't create a lot - not much for himself and basically nothing for his teammates.

We are losing our top two scorers off a not very good offensive team so that's going to be tough to replace. But losing Shields is a much bigger loss overall. I would think Gill can replace White without too much trouble.

I may be wrong but I thought I saw on ESPN he was 15th in B1G in rebounding? Coming from a team that struggles to rebound that will be missed. Could be a rough season next year.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-family-pressure-not-unusual-but-andrew-white-is-leaving/article_6a64ba92-3bd4-11e6-b8bc-a324f88488e7.html

I get that there is family pressure, especially when you are the third person to carry that name. But White turned 23 earlier this month. That’s old enough to know leaving your team in the lurch in late June is horrible form.

So you want to move to another school now to enhance your pro prospects? Good luck providing a satisfactory answer to NBA personnel about why you ran from a challenge and abandoned your teammates.

This pretty much summed it up for how I feel.

Andrew White, Jr, the father of the transferring White III, in Lee Barfknecht's story in the Omaha World-Herald intimated the lack of success as a program hurts his son's chances of making it in the NBA. Perhaps there is some correlation, but it is far from a determining factor. Many players have come from programs that didn't find success at the college ranks. One glaring example is Klay Thompson, a player White III has compared himself to. Thompson came from noted college hoops power...Washington State. Thompson made his name in the NBA by working hard and being undeniably good at his craft. In the recent NBA draft, players were selected in the first round from programs with the standing of Cal, Washington, Vanderbilt, New Mexico State and Florida State. Let's not pretend those are all juggernaut programs. There's great exposure from elevating a program, too, like Oklahoma's Buddy Hield did. White had the opportunity to do that at Nebraska. You don't have to go to Duke, Michigan State or North Carolina to get noticed by NBA scouts, especially when you're already at a Big Ten school.

What gets you noticed is putting in the hard work in the off season to reduce the things that kept you from getting drafted in the first place. What gets you noticed is being a senior leader and offensive focal point of a Big Ten team poised to make a big jump up the standings. What raises red flags is running from opportunities right in front of you, backing down from those challenges instead of choosing to lead, leaving your teammates, who have worked just as hard as you and have the same dreams you have in the lurch. That stinks. There are good, honest, hard-working people in the program. By putting his career, and his career alone, as his top priority, he's put a promising season and teh careers of coaches and staff members who have invested in him in peril. Is the the kind of team player an NBA executive wants to bring into the organization?

• Fire 1