The Obama Legacy

Remember the Republican talking point about race relations being worse under Obama? Yeah... funny story:

47 of 50 states experienced a decline in Hate Crimes from 2013 to 2015

This 2nd Annual State of Hate analysis has uncovered a few noteworthy trends. Firstly, from 2013 to 2015, an increase in hate crime rate was observed in only 3 states, which also means 47 states experienced a decline. Over the same time period, the average percent change in hate crime rate was -134%, which suggests a dramatic reduction in hate crimes in the US. Lastly, in an analysis of the most hateful locations, only one place of higher education made the list, the North Carolina School of the Arts.

• Fire 3

Remember the Republican talking point about race relations being worse under Obama? Yeah... funny story:

47 of 50 states experienced a decline in Hate Crimes from 2013 to 2015

This 2nd Annual State of Hate analysis has uncovered a few noteworthy trends. Firstly, from 2013 to 2015, an increase in hate crime rate was observed in only 3 states, which also means 47 states experienced a decline. Over the same time period, the average percent change in hate crime rate was -134%, which suggests a dramatic reduction in hate crimes in the US. Lastly, in an analysis of the most hateful locations, only one place of higher education made the list, the North Carolina School of the Arts.

Umm, if you really think that race relations are better now than when Obama took office due to some hate crime statistics, you are living on another planet. All you have to do is look at the past few years of rioting and racial violence and tension to recognize things are not where they used to be. Or you can look at a long-trending Gallup poll which shows a nosedive in race relations during Obama's second term.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1687/race-relations.aspx

The poll shows that whites rated race relations in the 70% range for 13 straight years and blacks in the upper 50s and mainly 60s during that same time, yet both groups reported relations taking a nosedive under Obama's watch.

Decline in actual crimes motivated by race? Ignored entirely.

A poll of people's opinions about race relations? Used to form an opinion about race relations.

"I'll go with how people feel, and you go with the facts and the theoreticians."

I don't recall if it was with bnil but I had a convo on here once about how scared Americans are of violent crime and the person was arguing that it's really important how scared people are even if it has no basis in reality.

A poll of people's opinions about race relations? Used to form an opinion about race relations.

"I'll go with how people feel, and you go with the facts and the theoreticians."

I don't recall if it was with bnil but I had a convo on here once about how scared Americans are of violent crime and the person was arguing that it's really important how scared people are even if it has no basis in reality.

That was not me Moraine.

I guess I need to bring this down a level to explain to you. There are far fewer people who are actual victims of hate crimes than there are who feel race relations and tensions have gotten worse. People who watched Ferguson burn to the ground did not have to be in the fires to feel an impact from what was happening.

To explain this on a different level, after 9/11 happened, Americans did not have to have been a victim that died or was injured in the attack to feel nervous and concerned about terrorism or to feel that national security and the terror threat suddenly became worse than before 9/11 happened.

Another example on the economic front. In a period where many companies are laying off workers, someone does not have to actually be laid off themselves to have lower consumer sentiment about the economy.

Kind of like how black people and minorities do not have to personally be killed at the hands of the police to have a reasonable fear and nervousness towards the police and a concern that racist prejudice and bias is running rampant through our police departments, I'd imagine.

• Fire 6

Kind of like how black people and minorities do not have to personally be killed at the hands of the police to have a reasonable fear and nervousness towards the police and a concern that racist prejudice and bias is running rampant through our police departments, I'd imagine.

See, you came up with another example of how racial divisions have gotten worse under Obama. Now you can try to cast blame solely on police officers which is what you just suggested, and that is what Obama wants his supporters to consider which gets back to the dip in race relations among both whites and minorities. At the end of the day race relations in our country are worse than the day he took office. I thank God everyday there is limited time left that he will remain in the White House.

Its not solely Obamas fault, and with every issue there are multiple factors play. But when the history books are written about race relations under Obama, it will not judge him kindly, and that is the point of this thread...what will be Obamas legacy.

You could be right. But it's just as likely that history will look back and see that racial tensions were high for a longer period of time than just 2008-2016 and things just flared up over that time period. Personally, I think Obama has done a lousy job getting out in front of many of these issues, and that he'll be remembered as a great campaigner and speaker but a poor leader.

OMG, what nonsense.