Michigan, Notre Dame to Resume Rivalry

Mavric

To people who grew up in Lincoln, everything west of York is western Nebraska.

To people who grew up in Omaha, everything west of Gretna is western Nebraska.

Growing up in central Nebraska, I would say western Nebraska starts around North Platte.

Those who grew up in Scottsbluff thinks Wyoming is western Nebraska

I agree with Sam M twofold on this issue

1) The B1G should stop scheduling ND because basically ND is the girl who has "friend zoned" the B1G, is engaged to the ACC, but the B1G still thinks that it has a shot to get her

2) NU should get out of the CU series in 18 and 19 and replace that with Arky. We are still locked in with CU in 23 and 24, so we don't need to be playing them 4 times in 7 years.

On number 2 - all western Nebraskans now hate you

What's your definition of Western Nebraska? Because you have to get pretty far west before Boulder is closer than Lincoln (Paxton is about the 1/2 way point).

West of Paxton??

Omaha to Pine Bluff is 456 miles. Divide that by 3 and you get 152 miles. Pine bluff to Paxton is 148.

So....yes....at Paxton is where Western Nebraska starts. Paxton to Shelton is Central Nebraska. Shelton to Omaha is Eastern Nebraska.

As for ND and Michigan....I couldn't give to squirts. Their "rivalry" isn't any more meaningful to the rest of America than many other rivalries that have gone by the wayside.

To people who grew up in Lincoln, everything west of York is western Nebraska.

To people who grew up in Omaha, everything west of Gretna is western Nebraska.

Growing up in central Nebraska, I would say western Nebraska starts around North Platte.

Those who grew up in Scottsbluff thinks Wyoming is western Nebraska

I went to the Husker game in Wyoming a few years ago with a Wyoming alum and sat in the Wyoming student section. I swear about 75% of the kids we talked to were from Scottsbluff, Gering, Alliance, Chadron, Kimball, Sidney, etc....

Have to admit, I'm not really a big fan with the way the athletic department decided to handle this. I, personally, don't give a sh#t about playing at Arkansas but it would have been an interesting match up to say the least. I loath ND. More than Michigan State for sure. I would have been fine not playing them ever again. That said, beating them is very, very rewarding but the real kink in this whole arrangement is that now in 2018 Michigan plays ND, MSU and OSU on the road and until there is some sort of schedule restructure that will be the case for the foreseeable future. Really, really awful considering that ND got the last home game of the series as well.

TL;DR f#*k DAVE BRANDON

Have to admit, I'm not really a big fan with the way the athletic department decided to handle this. I, personally, don't give a sh#t about playing at Arkansas but it would have been an interesting match up to say the least. I loath ND. More than Michigan State for sure. I would have been fine not playing them ever again. That said, beating them is very, very rewarding but the real kink in this whole arrangement is that now in 2018 Michigan plays ND, MSU and OSU on the road and until there is some sort of schedule restructure that will be the case for the foreseeable future. Really, really awful considering that ND got the last home game of the series as well.

TL;DR f#*k DAVE BRANDON

Don't talk to Nebraskans about having stacked road schedules. We have division road games at Madison, Iowa City, and Evanston every even year. Toss is at Columbus in 2016 and at Columbus AND at Ann Arbor in 2018.

TL;DR f#*k DAVE BRANDON

Don't talk to Nebraskans about having stacked road schedules. We have division road games at Madison, Iowa City, and Evanston every even year. Toss is at Columbus in 2016 and at Columbus AND at Ann Arbor in 2018.

It's not so much on how many but who. Three road games at ND, OSU, MSU every other year, not counting other road games are a pretty hard line up. Then on the other hand it's all 3 at home the next year. The point was about balancing this better. So say MSU and OSU alternate, playing MSU home while OSU on the road etc. I think the only way they will do this if they play one of those teams two years straight on the road.

Sorry Arkansas just doesn't appeal to us or most of the college football watchers. If were doing sec home/away it should be either Bama, LSU or Georgia, playing the rest is kind of pointless, like a poor bowl match up. ND on the other hand, well yea, think Nebraska/Oklahoma opposed to say Nebraska/Texas Tech.

The right analogy is Nebraska-Texas

Learned a little history because of this. First off, I was surprised UM-ND have played just a whopping 42 times against each other. Thought it would have been more. And although most of the games have been between 1978 and 2014 sprinkled in with a few gaps here and there, but that Notre Dame's first football game was against Michigan in 1887.

Read that before they played, Michigan taught ND how to play the game before the actual game.

Furthermore, and really interesting, is that in 1909, ND beat Michigan for the first time, after losing in their first 8 meetings.

At that time, Notre Dame was coached by a former Michigan player (Frank Longman) and after the game, the Detroit Free Press headlined the ND victory with "Shorty' Longman's Fighting Irishmen Humble the Wolverines to Tune of 11-3". And went on to say "Eleven Fighting Irishman wrecked the Yost machine this afternoon..."

Meanwhile, a Michigan football historian wrote that the same writer of the Detroit Free Press had overheard a Notre Dame player pleading with his teammates at halftime, "What's the matter with you guys? You're all Irish and not fighting worth a lick"

Which thus prompted the nickname "Fighting Irish"

And......

quote-now-you-know-the-rest-of-the-story

Note: How accurate that is (about the Fighting Irish story) is up for discussion, but our Irish and Wolverine friends are more than welcome to correct it with what they know. This is what I read in wiki and thought it was pretty interesting.

We're natural enemies and books have been penned on the subject. The starting point was when after ND won the first time Yost cancelled the next game and tried to get the Western conference to blackball ND.

TL;DR f#*k DAVE BRANDON

It's not so much on how many but who. Three road games at ND, OSU, MSU every other year, not counting other road games are a pretty hard line up. Then on the other hand it's all 3 at home the next year. The point was about balancing this better. So say MSU and OSU alternate, playing MSU home while OSU on the road etc. I think the only way they will do this if they play one of those teams two years straight on the road.

I'm sure that Savvy Jack conditioned the series on staggering Ann Arbor with Pasadena so ND will travel to one or the other. That being said our 2019 schedule as of now is a meat grinder with 6 true road games @ the likes of UM, UL, UGA, LJSU, Duke, GTech.

Learned a little history because of this. First off, I was surprised UM-ND have played just a whopping 42 times against each other. Thought it would have been more. And although most of the games have been between 1978 and 2014 sprinkled in with a few gaps here and there, but that Notre Dame's first football game was against Michigan in 1887.

Read that before they played, Michigan taught ND how to play the game before the actual game.

Furthermore, and really interesting, is that in 1909, ND beat Michigan for the first time, after losing in their first 8 meetings.

At that time, Notre Dame was coached by a former Michigan player (Frank Longman) and after the game, the Detroit Free Press headlined the ND victory with "Shorty' Longman's Fighting Irishmen Humble the Wolverines to Tune of 11-3". And went on to say "Eleven Fighting Irishman wrecked the Yost machine this afternoon..."

Meanwhile, a Michigan football historian wrote that the same writer of the Detroit Free Press had overheard a Notre Dame player pleading with his teammates at halftime, "What's the matter with you guys? You're all Irish and not fighting worth a lick"

Which thus prompted the nickname "Fighting Irish"

And pertaining to Nebraska-Notre Dame

The Fighting Irish and Nebraska Cornhuskers first met in 1915 and played each other annually through 1925. During the years of Notre Dame's famed Four Horsemen backfield from 1922–24, the Fighting Irish compiled a record of 27–2–1, with their only losses coming to Nebraska in Lincoln (1922 & 1923). The Fighting Irish won in 1924 in South Bend and Nebraska won in 1925 in Lincoln, evening up the series at 5–5–1 (the 0–0 tie occurring in 1918). The Huskers were replaced on Notre Dame's schedule with USC

Why did Notre Dame switch from Nebraska to USC?

Then the series ended in strange fashion. These days, Nebraska fans are generally known for being polite to visiting teams. It wasn’t always so. Notre Dame returned to Lincoln in 1925, losing to Nebraska 17-0. Details are fuzzy, but strong anti-Catholic sentiment and abuse by fans led Notre Dame to cancel the 1926 game despite Knute Rockne’s desire to keep the profitable series going. Nebraska football coach Ernest Bearg said that Notre Dame officials “informed me that the game in Lincoln was played in an atmosphere of hostility and that the klan spirit was apparently dominant in Lincoln.”

So the series died because of radical Protestant terrorism. (Had to do it)

ND Joe said "I'm sure that Savvy Jack conditioned the series on staggering Ann Arbor with Pasadena so ND will travel to one or the other. That being said our 2019 schedule as of now is a meat grinder with 6 true road games @ the likes of UM, UL, UGA, LJSU, Duke, GTech."

LJSU? Do you mean LSU?

Duke and GT dont count.

On the NU-ND series ending in 1925: Anti-Catholic sentiment fueled by the resurgence of the KKK in the 20's was very strong throughout the country, especially the Midwest. ND would have known this very well since Indiana's state gov was being overrun with klansmen.

I'm not sure it was as strong in California, though. Interesting stuff.

ND Joe said "I'm sure that Savvy Jack conditioned the series on staggering Ann Arbor with Pasadena so ND will travel to one or the other. That being said our 2019 schedule as of now is a meat grinder with 6 true road games @ the likes of UM, UL, UGA, LJSU, Duke, GTech."

LJSU? Do you mean LSU?

Duke and GT dont count.

Must have been a type-oh. I believe it's Stanford and not LJSU (road games)

2019 Football Schedule

S02 @ Louisville

S14 NEW MEXICO

S21 @ Georgia

S28 VIRGINIA

O19 @ Georgia Tech

O26 @ Michigan

N02 VIRGINIA TECH

N09 @ Duke

N16 NAVY

N23 BOSTON COLLEGE

N30 @ Stanford

SOUTHERN CAL

LJSU? Do you mean LSU?

Duke and GT dont count.

2019 Football Schedule

S02 @ Louisville

S14 NEW MEXICO

S21 @ Georgia

S28 VIRGINIA

O19 @ Georgia Tech

O26 @ Michigan

N02 VIRGINIA TECH

N09 @ Duke

N16 NAVY

N23 BOSTON COLLEGE

N30 @ Stanford

SOUTHERN CAL

Yeah its Stanford. Tough road games. Sounds like ND is firmly entrenched in the ACC too.

"The long-awaited ACC Network will launch by August 2019, according to league sources.

The Atlantic Coast Conference and ESPN have agreed to a 20-year deal and rights extension through the 2035-36 academic year, sources said."

"The ACC's new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they are contracted to join the ACC."

LJSU? Do you mean LSU?

Duke and GT dont count.

2019 Football Schedule

S02 @ Louisville

S14 NEW MEXICO

S21 @ Georgia

S28 VIRGINIA

O19 @ Georgia Tech

O26 @ Michigan

N02 VIRGINIA TECH

N09 @ Duke

N16 NAVY

N23 BOSTON COLLEGE

N30 @ Stanford

SOUTHERN CAL

Yeah its Stanford. Tough road games. Sounds like ND is firmly entrenched in the ACC too.

"The long-awaited ACC Network will launch by August 2019, according to league sources.

The Atlantic Coast Conference and ESPN have agreed to a 20-year deal and rights extension through the 2035-36 academic year, sources said."

"The ACC's new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they are contracted to join the ACC."

Half that conference is in three states. Their reach is roughly 30 mill cable/satellite(if every company carries the network) and bar hoops and couple Football teams very little national following, so good luck with that. Still, it makes them look better then Big12 which is still the poster child for getting raided.