A man you can bait with a Tweet

That NPR report is particularly worth a detailed read, or listen. Eye-opening reporting from David Fahrenthold.

The interesting thing, when I called the Trump campaign once we discovered that a lot of the money going into the Trump Foundation was, as I said, money owed to Trump that he diverted to the foundation, that's fine. You've got to pay income taxes on it. When we called them to ask, OK, did Trump really pay income taxes on that? The answer was really unusual. The answer was actually that's totally wrong. Instead, Donald Trump has been guided his entire life by an obscure 1942 Court decision - IRS commissioner v. Giannini. And it holds that you don't have to pay income taxes if you don't tell people where to give the money. So their contention was there were instances where people owed Trump money, and he said, no, I don't want it. I reject your money. I renounce it. But you should maybe think about giving it to some charity somewhere and - not telling them the Donald J. Trump Foundation, just telling them give it to a charity. And then some of them did, in fact, give to the Trump Foundation, and that's how the money comes in. And under that logic, Trump wouldn't have to pay income taxes.

Now, that's a complicated set of things for Trump to have done every time. And I said, well, tell me an instance where that actually happened, where this whole complicated theory you're talking about was put into practice. And they couldn't give me one. So it doesn't seem like their approach, at least right off the bat was to say, oh, yes, that's right. He should have paid income taxes, and he did.

:o

I love it that people are finding the self portraits that he purchased of himself and then reporting back on where they are ... good stuff.

Also, I found the comments by the Trump press guy that was approved to speak to Farenholdt super interesting. How in the world does Trump find people to work for him?

I love it that people are finding the self portraits that he purchased of himself and then reporting back on where they are ... good stuff.

More from Fahrenthold/WaPo on that painting: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/09/27/trump-is-actually-doing-his-foundation-a-favor-by-storing-its-portrait-his-golf-resort-wall-his-adviser-says/?tid=a_inl

An adviser to Donald Trump on Tuesday offered a new explanation for why a portrait of Trump — paid for by the Republican nominee's charitable foundation — wound up on display at a Trump-owned golf resort in Florida.

Trump, the adviser said, was actually doing his charity a favor, by "storing" its painting on the wall of a bar at Trump National Doral, outside Miami.

Except...

Epshteyn's explanation was, in effect, that Trump hadn't used his foundation to buy his resort some art. Instead, Trump's resort was helping the foundation — which has no employees or office space of its own — find a place to store its possessions.

Tax experts were not impressed by this reasoning.

"It's hard to make an IRS auditor laugh," Brett Kappel, a lawyer who advises nonprofit groups at the Akerman firm, said in an email. "But this would do it."

I am a republican voter. Trump's tweets make me want to stab my eyeballs with forks.

Couldn't blame you. A loooooooooooot of Republican voters -- and statesmen and women -- who are in the same boat.

I have to bring this up again, from the NPR story NM12345678 ( ;)) posted. I'd heard it before, but there are so many fresh controversies and things said with Trump, it's easy to forget what happened even a few weeks ago.

Now, you can't do that. Nonprofits like the Trump Foundation are prohibited from giving political gifts, but he did. And even more interesting, he filed - the next year, when the Trump Foundation filed its tax paperwork with the IRS, it did something very odd, which is that it omitted any mention that it had given this prohibited political gift to Pam Bondi's group. The group in Florida that she supported - was supporting her was called And Justice for All, OK? That's important to remember that name.

So when they file their tax paperwork with the IRS, they don't list that gift. Instead, they list a $25,000 gift to a group called Justice for All, which happens to be a nonprofit in Kansas which didn't actually get any money at all from the Trump Foundation

Smells like a darned rotten fish.

• Fire 1

I am a republican voter. Trump's tweets make me want to stab my eyeballs with forks.

Couldn't blame you. A loooooooooooot of Republican voters -- and statesmen and women -- who are in the same boat.

I have to bring this up again, from the NPR story NM12345678 ( ;)) posted. I'd heard it before, but there are so many fresh controversies and things said with Trump, it's easy to forget what happened even a few weeks ago.

Now, you can't do that. Nonprofits like the Trump Foundation are prohibited from giving political gifts, but he did. And even more interesting, he filed - the next year, when the Trump Foundation filed its tax paperwork with the IRS, it did something very odd, which is that it omitted any mention that it had given this prohibited political gift to Pam Bondi's group. The group in Florida that she supported - was supporting her was called And Justice for All, OK? That's important to remember that name.

So when they file their tax paperwork with the IRS, they don't list that gift. Instead, they list a $25,000 gift to a group called Justice for All, which happens to be a nonprofit in Kansas which didn't actually get any money at all from the Trump Foundation

Smells like a darned rotten fish.

Right? And the excuse given? "Well it was an oversight/clerical/mismanagement issue". From such a fantastic, amazing, successful business man? His foundation isn't managed well?

Seriously, can you imagine what will be found in his tax returns? I'll bet there is prosecutable criminal activity. I think with every denial and avoidance the Trump group just gets Farenthold more focused on finding out information. He's gonna be like a dog with a bone (or like a Trump with a potential donation that can be funneled through a non existent charity to line his own pockets)

He must get drunk at night and just drunk tweet.

You know what's great with him having a fit about "sources" quoted for a story written by respectable journalists with credentials and history that is proven is that every comment he makes is "somebody told me" "a lot of people are saying" ... whenever he floats one of his conspiracies or supposed opinions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-lot-of-people-are-saying-how-trump-spreads-conspiracies-and-innuendo/2016/06/13/b21e59de-317e-11e6-8ff7-7b6c1998b7a0_story.html