CBS: Oldest Sellout Streak In Peril

Asa now owns property across from the stadium that he uses for a 50-space parking lot on game days. Those spaces didn't sell out at $15 a pop for last year's season opener against BYU.

Wait, where is this parking lot?!? $15 lot ACROSS THE STREET DIDN'T SELL OUT?!? Why wasn't I told?

• Fire 1

I live in Tampa and don't make it back home to many games. However, I would be interested in future technology that can provide me with a Virtual Reality seat. Full immersion 3D, live and able to watch as though I were actually there. I'd be willing to pay more (a bit) to get different options. Sell me a seat 10 rows up at the 50 yard line for 800 dollars a year. I can watch from home in addition to watching live on TV or listening on radio. Or sell me one in the endzone for much less. Or sell me one in the student section so I can relive that fun. Or sell me access to a bunch of them that I can switch to depending on where the action is on the field. Of course, we will need the cheerleading views, too, and the band. This could be the future. Probably will be in some shape or form. What of counting attendance when the definition itself could change?

I hope we see options like this in the future as tech gets closer to making it possible. At that point, I do not know how you would (or if you could) count it toward things like a sellout streak. The world is changing and who knows what it will bring.

It is going to end. doubt it will be too far down the road. Reading this board, you can see it happening here. I am guilty of not going back to games, as it is just too much hassle. Many on here make the comment they would rather watch it on TV, with beer, their own cooking and friends over. The world is changing, people are changing.. Some say it will get back to normal if we win at the rate we did in the 90's. Doubtful on both counts. Bama does not sell out every week, and their fan base is just as dedicated as ours without question. I heard the Driveway to Driveway comment coming from the Ticket sales department of Bama last week.

Too much hassle to go, parking, seating to close, it all adds up. The stadium has to become user friendly. Pretty hard to do with a very old stadium, with an agenda to add more seats. Remodel, cut it back to 65K and you have a place where people will want to go.

Never thought I would say anything like that, but too much to do, kids having kids younger and having an income to enjoy life with their family. Youth sports is cutting into the pie. Mom has to go to soccer, dad has to coach the little league team. For us we have lost our rivals, or wanna bee rivals. No Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri or Colorado. Those rivalry games are what draw people, create life long fans.

The sport is growing, just not in the stadium. TV runs the show. And we are all guilty of it. So much easier to watch it on the big screen, not fight the traffic, no down in front chants, or the other side, some one standing in front of you most of the game.

I don't live close, so not sure it would truly affect me, but I have season tickets to USC, and absolutely hate going to the games. Being at the game is great, but the trip there and back is dreadful. My guess is, I would feel the same making the trip to Lincoln.

Isn't every home game a milestone since it's nation leading?

So we should be having a huge celebration every home game instead of every 50!!! Damn it Eichorst! Get your sh1t together!!!!

I'm just saying, there were fireworks and a giant American flag when Peterson was here....

It's supply and demand. We keep increasing the capacity. From 46,000 back in the 60s to over 86,000 today. If we keep increasing the supply eventually demand will dip below it.

I'd say we have about as much stadium capacity as we can use, right now, to keep the sellout streak going. We still have waiting lists for season tickets, right? If we get much up over 90,000 I'll bet the streak will actually come to an end. Eventually.

No, they've been exhausted for at least a couple years now.

Whoa, I didn't know *that*. I'd say we've gone too far, given the relatively sparse population of our state. Probably should have capped it at 80,000 or so. Oh well, it's just one of the longest streaks in all of sports. Who cares if it ends on your watch Mr. Eichorst. LULZ

If it does end on his watch the wailing and gnashing of teeth will be epic even though it will likely be due to circumstances beyond his control.

fwiw....when they were considering this last big addition i got a questionnaire in the mail. 1 of the questions was do you think we should expand if it means the end of the sell out streak? the university obviously thought the end was possible with this addition so i am not shocked at all by the possibility of it ending. the wheels were set in motion when it was decided to expand the stadium IMO.

Isn't every home game a milestone since it's nation leading?

So we should be having a huge celebration every home game instead of every 50!!! Damn it Eichorst! Get your sh1t together!!!!

I'm just saying, there were fireworks and a giant American flag when Peterson was here....
#BestADEver #Peterson4Prez

It is going to end. doubt it will be too far down the road. Reading this board, you can see it happening here. I am guilty of not going back to games, as it is just too much hassle. Many on here make the comment they would rather watch it on TV, with beer, their own cooking and friends over. The world is changing, people are changing.. Some say it will get back to normal if we win at the rate we did in the 90's. Doubtful on both counts. Bama does not sell out every week, and their fan base is just as dedicated as ours without question. I heard the Driveway to Driveway comment coming from the Ticket sales department of Bama last week.

Too much hassle to go, parking, seating to close, it all adds up. The stadium has to become user friendly. Pretty hard to do with a very old stadium, with an agenda to add more seats. Remodel, cut it back to 65K and you have a place where people will want to go.

Never thought I would say anything like that, but too much to do, kids having kids younger and having an income to enjoy life with their family. Youth sports is cutting into the pie. Mom has to go to soccer, dad has to coach the little league team. For us we have lost our rivals, or wanna bee rivals. No Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri or Colorado. Those rivalry games are what draw people, create life long fans.

The sport is growing, just not in the stadium. TV runs the show. And we are all guilty of it. So much easier to watch it on the big screen, not fight the traffic, no down in front chants, or the other side, some one standing in front of you most of the game.

I don't live close, so not sure it would truly affect me, but I have season tickets to USC, and absolutely hate going to the games. Being at the game is great, but the trip there and back is dreadful. My guess is, I would feel the same making the trip to Lincoln.

Get everything you are saying and I know yours and my generation is getting older, however there is always a next generation and as the W's begin to come more frequently and they adjust the stadium experience to the new generation - the tickets will sell. Some of these kids that will be buying tickets in the next 5 to 10 years have never seen Colorado or OU play in Lincoln. I do see them going back into some of the areas that aren't as desirable and adjusting the quantity and quality of the seats with a net reduction in total seats.