‘Toughness’ would be good for Nebraska football, but talent would be better

Nebraska has the third longest conference title drought in the Big 10, leading only Minnesota and Indiana. Just let that sink in.

I know I posted that article, but that stat is so cherry picked, it could be a political point.

Nabbed it from Lee's article. Reading that stat is about as stimulating as waking up after a night of heavy drinking. In fact, if I read that start after a night of heavy drinking, I just may pick up the bottle again.

Toughness is a major part of 'talent' in my view. I think the glaring omission in this entire discussion of recruiting class rankings is the question of meaningfulness of the rankings and reliability thereof. Nebraska's 1995 is widely held to be the best team ever. Nobody has shown us a better one, even after 20 years of champions since. That team may have had some good recruiting classes but it was not filled with 5 star players.

The difference between a 3 star with "Husker heart" and determination compared to a 5 star player with ego and selfish attitude is glaring. We want the player with heart and 3 star level skills as opposed to the superstar that has the wrong mindset.

• Fire 1

Toughness can be coached, I suppose. Maybe it's part of a culture, but if you choose to play football it's kinda built into the game itself.

I'm just wondering how Bo Pelini could be the coach of one of the baddest ass defenses in Nebraska history in 2009, then three years later be overseeing one of the most fragile defenses in Nebraska history.

Same coach. Same culture. Same game.

Different players?

Somehow that championship level defense was comprised of players willing to come to Nebraska.

That's a good question Guy. My answer is different conferences. That defense was built to stop pass happy offenses I. The Big 12. Once we got to the Big 10 and started having teams ram in down our thoughts we fell apart. The teams that threw the ball a lot in the Big 10 never really bothered us. Bo never made the switch and it cost him his job.

• Fire 1

The difference between a 3 star with "Husker heart" and determination compared to a 5 star player with ego and selfish attitude is glaring. We want the player with heart and 3 star level skills as opposed to the superstar that has the wrong mindset.

That's great and all but you're talking about one player when a team is made up of 100+

Trot out an entire team of the meanest, most die-hard Nebraska farm boys against Ohio State and watch the margin of victory break 50 pretty quickly.

We are never going to land the number of 4 and 5 star recruits that OSU and Michigan do. We have to make up that gap with coaching and work ethic.

day by day this staff is proving chickensh#t copout statements like this wrong. Talk about bein too much a pu&&y to rise up to a challenge. Vintage Bo culture right there. Complacent for the sake of complacency.

I mean ... I like what this staff is doing recruiting-wise.

But as of right now we have 4 four-stars for the 2017 class. Michigan has 10 four-stars. Ohio State has 6 five-stars and 10 four-stars - possibly the best class of all-time (at least in the rankings era).

So actually we're not proving it wrong and not even that close to it so far. Never is a long time.

Was about to come and prove the statement wrong about statements being proven wrong, but Mav beat me to it.

The thing being proven wrong isnt the facts of numbers. The thing being proven wrong is this engrained concept that we cant recruit that well. For whatever reason. We are in final 5's and 10's of numerous highly ranked prospects that the previous staff wouldnt even waste time contacting. We used to compete with mid major/non bcs programs for recruits. now were competeing with Bama, USC, and ohio St for them. And making some hay. That's my point. "we'll never be able to recruit at that level" is a chickin sh#t copout. It's a frickin excuse for complacency. Like 9 wins. These guys are proving that "cant" notion wrong.

And someone please explain what the draw for Michigan is. And it's not Harbaugh, cuz it's been around longer than that. Husker fans have this perceptions that Michigan is too this unbeatable recruiting power. Someone explain what the hell Ann Arbor Michigan has over Lincoln.

like Ive said, these are bullsh#t excuses and copout reasons that were developed to blindly support a guy that was complacent. "9 wins yada yada". It's a load of crap. Get your guy. get to work. Get great again. What's cant? There is no cant.

You've spent a lot of time over the years trying to dismiss Ann Arbor/Michigan as not being any better or more appealing than here. Just because you don't understand what the draw is, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, which it obviously does, as evidenced by pretty much every year of recruiting.

Anyways, I agree that this staff has a much more positive and "we're capable" attitude towards recruiting than Bo's did. But....at the end of the day, attitude doesn't mean results, and we are currently ranked in the low 20's as far as our recruiting class, pretty common ground historically.

"The thing being proven wrong is this engrained concept that we cant recruit that well."

That hasn't, at all, been proven wrong yet.

• Fire 1

You've spent a lot of time over the years trying to dismiss Ann Arbor/Michigan as not being any better or more appealing than here. Just because you don't understand what the draw is, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, which it obviously does, as evidenced by pretty much every year of recruiting.

Anyways, I agree that this staff has a much more positive and "we're capable" attitude towards recruiting than Bo's did. But....at the end of the day, attitude doesn't mean results, and we are currently ranked in the low 20's as far as our recruiting class, pretty common ground historically.

"The thing being proven wrong is this engrained concept that we cant recruit that well."

We're in on much better, and much more "much better" prospects than we have been in the past. Based on rankings anyway. So, yes, they are proving it wrong.

What is the Michigan draw then? Im curious. Just because theyve outrecruited us in the past doesnt necessarily mean the draw is better. That could be a simple coach thing. What I'm asking is what does Michigan have to offer that Nebraska doesnt?

We're in on much better, and much more "much better" prospects than we have been in the past. Based on rankings anyway. So, yes, they are proving it wrong.

What is the Michigan draw then? Im curious. Just because theyve outrecruited us in the past doesnt necessarily mean the draw is better. That could be a simple coach thing. What I'm asking is what does Michigan have to offer that Nebraska doesnt?

Right now way more national cred and a better coach.

• Fire 1

Right now way more national cred and a better coach.

What cred? Michigans been as much garbage as nebraska has the last decade.

even last year, they didnt do anything more than Bo ever did.

If im not mistaken, this weekend we have two of, if not THE two, top overall prospects in the country here for OV's. The point remains. This staff is proving (not that they have proved. It's still in process) that we can compete with the likes of Ohio St, Michigan, Bama, USC etc for top notch talent.