‘Toughness’ would be good for Nebraska football, but talent would be better

On Monday, I read an article by Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald calling for toughness in the Nebraska program, from the players to the coaches to the administration. It notes Nebraska has not won a conference or national title in 16 years. Barfknecht is extremely well connected in Nebraska and is a respected columnist, so if he says Nebraska lacks toughness I’ll take his word for it.

Toughness is an important quality. But I hit "control+f" on the piece and searched for the words "talent" and "recruit." It returned zero results. Why focus on an intangible before figuring out the more important tangible?

One of Byrne’s favorite things as athletic director was to tell his coaches, "You need to think about how to win a national title, and I’ll do everything I can to help." It wasn’t a threat. It was about building a championship mindset.

Is anybody in NU’s athletic administration doing that today? The scoreboard in most sports says no.

The recruiting scoreboard tells us that over the last four cycles, Ohio State has signed 69 four- and five-star players, Michigan 51 and Nebraska just 17. That’s the competition in the Big Ten. When the talent gap is that large, should toughness really be the primary focus?

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/30/12691970/nebraska-recruiting-lacking-toughness-huskers

• Fire 6

In college football the first thing you have to do metaphorically is "get Saban". You have to start with the IT coach. Everything else follows.

Maybe for most but for us? We set the standard we don't follow it. Mark it down. Riley will retire in seven years as a great hire.

• Fire 1

We are never going to land the number of 4 and 5 star recruits that OSU and Michigan do. We have to make up that gap with coaching and work ethic.

day by day this staff is proving chickensh#t copout statements like this wrong. Talk about bein too much a pu&&y to rise up to a challenge. Vintage Bo culture right there. Complacent for the sake of complacency.
  • Fire 4

In college football the first thing you have to do metaphorically is "get Saban". You have to start with the IT coach. Everything else follows.

Maybe for most but for us? We set the standard we don't follow it. Mark it down. Riley will retire in seven years as a great hire.

Define great. If winning the conference more often than not and be in the top 15 usually, would be "great " in my book. If not then just another ham and egger albeit a nice one this time....

We are never going to land the number of 4 and 5 star recruits that OSU and Michigan do. We have to make up that gap with coaching and work ethic.

day by day this staff is proving chickensh#t copout statements like this wrong. Talk about bein too much a pu&&y to rise up to a challenge. Vintage Bo culture right there. Complacent for the sake of complacency.

I mean ... I like what this staff is doing recruiting-wise.

But as of right now we have 4 four-stars for the 2017 class. Michigan has 10 four-stars. Ohio State has 6 five-stars and 10 four-stars - possibly the best class of all-time (at least in the rankings era).

So actually we're not proving it wrong and not even that close to it so far. Never is a long time.

• Fire 2

But as of right now we have 4 four-stars for the 2017 class. Michigan has 10 four-stars. Ohio State has 6 five-stars and 10 four-stars - possibly the best class of all-time (at least in the rankings era).

So actually we're not proving it wrong and not even that close to it so far. Never is a long time.

Was about to come and prove the statement wrong about statements being proven wrong, but Mav beat me to it.

• Fire 1

You're right, never is a long freaking time.