What Will The Huskers Do The First Time We Punt?

Mavric

First Punt  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really expect only 10 on the field and to take the DOG penalty. I don't care what the game situation is, that is what should happen.

Personally, I would like to see our ten players line up facing backwards on one knee. If Fresno has some class they will decline the penalty but, if they don't decline it, that is fine too.

What would actually happen if Fresno declines the DOG penalty? Would we line up again to punt it again? It's a little confusing to me because I think of all the times teams take a DOG penalty on purpose to give their punter more room to work with - couldn't the opposing coach just decline that penalty again and again?

NU wouldn't keep taking the DOG penalty over and over again. They do it once as a gesture, and the Fresno State coaches may decline it, understanding the situation. Riley and the Fresno coach may even discuss it before the game.

Right - I guess what I'm asking is, if we took the DOG penalty and DeRuyter declines, would the protocol be for us to line up to punt again from the same yard line?

I really expect only 10 on the field and to take the DOG penalty. I don't care what the game situation is, that is what should happen.

Personally, I would like to see our ten players line up facing backwards on one knee. If Fresno has some class they will decline the penalty but, if they don't decline it, that is fine too.

What would actually happen if Fresno declines the DOG penalty? Would we line up again to punt it again? It's a little confusing to me because I think of all the times teams take a DOG penalty on purpose to give their punter more room to work with - couldn't the opposing coach just decline that penalty again and again?

I think two delay of game penalties in a row - the second should include 'loss of down' and therefore the opponent takes over on downs.

NU wouldn't keep taking the DOG penalty over and over again. They do it once as a gesture, and the Fresno State coaches may decline it, understanding the situation. Riley and the Fresno coach may even discuss it before the game.

Right - I guess what I'm asking is, if we took the DOG penalty and DeRuyter declines, would the protocol be for us to line up to punt again from the same yard line?

Yes, NU would just punt from the original line of scrimmage, since the penalty was declined. I think you are making this too complicated.

Yes, NU would just punt from the original line of scrimmage, since the penalty was declined. I think you are making this too complicated.

So change games to Ohio State. We're at the 40 and want to take a delay of game penalty to give our punter a little more room to work with. Meyer declines the penalty. So according to you, we line up and punt from the original line of scrimmage again. Yet, we still want to have some more breathing room, so we take a second delay of game penalty. Meyer declines again. So we line up to punt again....

Obviously the above scenario doesn't make much sense, but since it is such as simple concept for you can you please enlighten me on how the above scenario would play out? The longest CFB of all time?

So change games to Ohio State. We're at the 40 and want to take a delay of game penalty to give our punter a little more room to work with. Meyer declines the penalty. So according to you, we line up and punt from the original line of scrimmage again. Yet, we still want to have some more breathing room, so we take a second delay of game penalty. Meyer declines again. So we line up to punt again....

Obviously the above scenario doesn't make much sense, but since it is such as simple concept for you can you please enlighten me on how the above scenario would play out? The longest CFB of all time?

I couldn't find anything specifically covering this. But I believe it would fall under the Referee's discretion. He could instruct the punting team to snap the ball and, if they still didn't, could enforce other penalties (unsporting foul, etc.).

I think Mav is right. After 2nd time the offensive team would likely be warned to snap the ball or be faced with forfeiting the game.

I've seen DOG declined before and it seems the team always snapped it the next time. What is curious though are all the times a team does it to give their kicker more room and it often gets accepted.

Pretty sure this won't be a thing this Saturday...