DPE Still Working into Punt Returns

Mavric

Better blocking is always good but Fresno averaged less than 30 yards per punt. Not much you can do if that's all the farther they're going to kick it.

Blocking at all would have been good. When somebody does kick further we still won't have a chance with our current strategy.

I continue to be completely underwhelmed by Bruce Read. Why are we wasting a coaching spot on him again?

Absolutely agree.

Notre Dame hit the jackpot by hiring Marty Biagi over the last off-season. Although he's just a "special teams analyst". Considering aside from kickers and punters, a lot of the players work with their position groups, I'm not sure how much different that is from a special teams coordinator. But if we're going to be paying for one, I'd rather see a guy like Biagi or Daric Riley at SMU in that role.

I've been an advocate of getting rid of Read and hiring another coach like Tavita Thompsen (sp?) but maybe moving Read to an analyst (aka non-coaching) position would be better. Something like the 20-odd people Bama has as non-coaching staff.

DPE will play like a freshman for the first few games due to the long break by early big10 play he will be back to his earlier high point. Two years from now he will one of several special players on this team.

Huh? 2 years from now he's not in the program anymore. He's only got another 15 months at UNL.

Thought he was a candidate for an extra year - medical

when the ball is kicked short and goofy like Fresno did all night, youre not gonna have any returns. it's that simple. Primetime Deion wouldntve made a difference. That thing that bothers me was just the silly execution of the the simple concept of catching the damn punt. 3 times it hit one of our guys. We shoulda lost one (for the life of me, i have no idea what review ppl are looking at anymore. Somethings are so obvious. This whole "irrefutable evidence" bs needs to be tossed. Watch the replay, and it either is or isnt. Its not that difficult). Another one went out of boundds, and we got back on a 3rd. And Westy of all ppl you would think would perform the most basic of duties by just catching it first. Special teams, it's safe to say, is the only position where I think there hasnt been any sore of improvement in the coaching aspect. Riley's right. It was a cartoon.