Kudos to Riley and Langsdorf

If I'm reading between the lines of Saturday's game and the quotes from summer camp, I think the coaching staff is frustrated by Tommy's lack of progress in the passing game.

I don't think they've been trying to pound a square peg in a round hole with Tommy. I think they have a guy who is tauntingly close to being dominant and dangerous in all phases, but the light still hasn't gone off and maybe it never will. That still leaves Tommy with a lot of weapons, but perhaps trimming down the decision making is the way to go.

Riley seemed almost Bo-like in his post game interview with Damon Benning. Short and irritated. Given the chance to go "nice" in a 33 point opening win on an emotional day, Riley seemed genuinely pissed that the team was still making the kind of mistakes they won't get away with against better teams.

I agree 100%. I think they, like many of us fans, our just dumbfounded that the light hasn't gone off for Tommy. He seems to have all the skills necessary but can't seem to put it together into being a slightly better than average passer. If he could, we'd be dominant, maybe win 10 or dare i say even 11 games. Probably 9-4 or 8-5 if he can't (perhaps even 7-6).

If I'm reading between the lines of Saturday's game and the quotes from summer camp, I think the coaching staff is frustrated by Tommy's lack of progress in the passing game.

I don't even think you have to read between too many lines for that. Most every time Langs talks about it he refers to missing throws they have to make or some derivation thereof.

I quickly went through the game on my DVR and made notes for all the pass attempts for Tommy on Saturday. I will post my findings tomorrow. It's not as bad as lot of people are making Tommy's game out to be.

I'm curious to see what your findings are.

Off the top of my head, he was 5/10 passing so not impressive there. On at least three of his completions he could throw to a wide open first read. Two of his incompletions weren't bad throws - down the right side to Moore and down the left side to Westy - but theyweren't necessarily open and he was going for the home run when there may have been other options. He missed a wide open Newby because his footwork was horrible. And despite all the work we've put in we're completely incapable of running a decent screen (not necessarily TA's fault).

So he may have been slightly better than the 50% would indicate. But now that even Langs is scared to throw the ball because of him, I'm thinking that's a pretty bad sign.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but if NU could run the ball down a team's throat and not have TA pass much, I am all in favor of it. TA will NEVER be an Eli Manning so let us all hope NU plays to his strengths. Tommy left, Tommy right. Tommy up the gut. I am glad NU did not decide to get fancy and go into Dan Marino mode.

Hopefully the next round of QB recruits fit what MR wants to do from a passing perspective.

I quickly went through the game on my DVR and made notes for all the pass attempts for Tommy on Saturday. I will post my findings tomorrow. It's not as bad as lot of people are making Tommy's game out to be.

Off the top of my head, he was 5/10 passing so not impressive there. On at least three of his completions he could throw to a wide open first read. Two of his incompletions weren't bad throws - down the right side to Moore and down the left side to Westy - but theyweren't necessarily open and he was going for the home run when there may have been other options. He missed a wide open Newby because his footwork was horrible. And despite all the work we've put in we're completely incapable of running a decent screen (not necessarily TA's fault).

So he may have been slightly better than the 50% would indicate. But now that even Langs is scared to throw the ball because of him, I'm thinking that's a pretty bad sign.

Would agree with that. The long sideline pass to Moore hit him in the hands, but probably had better options. The screen hit Ozigbo in the hands as well and again the defense was right there. Of course, in that case TA didn't have much choice since you can't really come off to another option without getting an ineligible downfield flag. Note also, that he did have a completion to Carter called back because they couldn't line up right.

Would agree with that. The long sideline pass to Moore hit him in the hands, but probably had better options. The screen hit Ozigbo in the hands as well and again the defense was right there. Of course, in that case TA didn't have much choice since you can't really come off to another option without getting an ineligible downfield flag. Note also, that he did have a completion to Carter called back because they couldn't line up right.

You guys aren't wrong in your thoughts, but I have put up my pass-by-pass breakdown. It's tough to do a complete review of the passing game without the All-22 view that the coaches have, but I think there are some things that show that Tommy didn't have a "bad" game.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but if NU could run the ball down a team's throat and not have TA pass much, I am all in favor of it. TA will NEVER be an Eli Manning so let us all hope NU plays to his strengths. Tommy left, Tommy right. Tommy up the gut. I am glad NU did not decide to get fancy and go into Dan Marino mode.

Hopefully the next round of QB recruits fit what MR wants to do from a passing perspective.

For an opponent like Fresno, I think the approach to go run-heavy was very smart. NU should be able to do that approach in a number of games this year and get the W. I just think people are concerned about what is going to happen during tougher competition. I think Tommy does some very good things in the QB run game, which helps offset some of his negatives in the passing game.

One thing that does throw off the overall stats from the game was that NU ran only 63 plays (from my count of passing and running attempts). That is a pretty low number for college football. The better offenses want to average around 70-75 plays from scrimmage, while the uptempo offenses will get over 90.

These guys are apatgetic at this point. Just holdin on tight. Just do what it takes to get that 7-8 wins and get to next year with another year of development for some pretty talented youngsters and a real qb prevailing from the most heated qb battle probably in husker football history to work with.

I'm assuming you mean "apathetic". If so, how in the hell do you get that attitude?

These guys are apatgetic at this point. Just holdin on tight. Just do what it takes to get that 7-8 wins and get to next year with another year of development for some pretty talented youngsters and a real qb prevailing from the most heated qb battle probably in husker football history to work with.

I'm assuming you mean "apathetic". If so, how in the hell do you get that attitude?

yeah. apathetic.

First off. I found it interesting when Fyfe came in with a 30 point lead, we immediately go to slingin the ball around?

All fall camp, we here constantly about this guy and that guy making strides, but not really anything about Armstrong.

I hear from some folks that say Tanner Lee is the best qb on the team. And that it's not even close.

Then I look at last year and the Iowa game in particular and the weird dialogue between our OC and QB.

Landsdorf said, with his own mouth, he wasnt confident in our abilitily to execute much at all out of the pass game. This isnt insinuating anything. He literally said it. out loud.

I factor in all these things and that's how I come up with it. Now i know suggesting these guys would be happy with 7-8 wins, or that that's what the goal is is nonsense. They wanna win em all. We all do. My point is, is that i get the sense that theyre gonna put a cap on what they need from Tommy in the pass game. And if we go down with a 75% run call, then so be it. But dont put it on a guy that they still feel cant handle it. That's where I'm at. And I saw it Saturday night because this perceived pass-happy bunch came out and ran the ball 20 of the first 22 plays, and continued to just hammer the ball and really showed no sense of serious urgency even with the game still in doubt late in the 3rd. I think these guys are apathetic with their qb situation.

yeah. apathetic.

First off. I found it interesting when Fyfe came in with a 30 point lead, we immediately go to slingin the ball around? So???? Different QB and they call different plays???? Gee, that's amazing.

All fall camp, we here constantly about this guy and that guy making strides, but not really anything about Armstrong. Is it a secret that TA isn't the type of QB they want long term? How does that make them apathetic to this year?

I hear from some folks that say Tanner Lee is the best qb on the team. And that it's not even close. You do realize he can't play this year....right? So....he has absolutely no bearing on the coach's decisions this year.

Then I look at last year and the Iowa game in particular and the weird dialogue between our OC and QB.

Landsdorf said, with his own mouth, he wasnt confident in our abilitily to execute much at all out of the pass game. This isnt insinuating anything. He literally said it. out loud. SO what??? Again...It's not no secret TA isn't the type of QB they want long term.

I factor in all these things and that's how I come up with it. Now i know suggesting these guys would be happy with 7-8 wins, or that that's what the goal is is nonsense. They wanna win em all. We all do. My point is, is that i get the sense that theyre gonna put a cap on what they need from Tommy in the pass game. And if we go down with a 75% run call, then so be it. But dont put it on a guy that they still feel cant handle it. That's where I'm at. And I saw it Saturday night because this perceived pass-happy bunch came out and ran the ball 20 of the first 22 plays, and continued to just hammer the ball and really showed no sense of serious urgency even with the game still in doubt late in the 3rd. I think these guys are apathetic with their qb situation.

Absolutely NONE of that shows they are apathetic to this year. That's an absolute preposterous comment after one game.

If they didn't give a crap about winning as many games as possible, they would either be a) throwing the ball all over the place and not giving a sh#t if TA can't do it.....or.....b) Starting a true freshman QB and not giving a crap if it costs us games this year.

And...to the bolded part, that's EXACTLY what you said when you used the term "apathetic". It means, "not caring, not enthusiastic or showing no concern." That's just plain an idiotic thought about these coaches.

Well. Like I said, we'll see come bigten play when we cant run the ball effectively and throwing is the only choice the route they choose to take.

As far as the Lee comment? No sh#t sherlock. That's the whole point to gettin through this year for a better guy next year. Duh.

Maybe I read to much into some of these things, but there just appears to be some weird things going on. And maybe apathetic isnt the right word. And its difficult to relay my thoughts on this into words, so I'm sorry if you dont get my drift. Tommy isnt a good fit. And these coaches comfort zone isnt a good fit for Armstrong. We all know that. So what I see happening is it coming down to how do we wanna go down. We are gonna have to be able to throw the ball at some point to win some games. It's that simple. If we continue on this philosophy, these coaches are taking the game completely out of the hands of the qb. That's pretty telling to me.