Kudos to Riley and Langsdorf

It was good to see the heavy run game. But man, where in the world in that playbook does it draw up big runs for our backs? I hope they speak up if they ever get frustrated running 4 yards up the middle...play after play after play.... :bang

There's not very many plays in the inside run game guaranteed to gap for a big play. That's usually just a product of flawless execution combined with an array of mistakes/misalignemtn by the defense

But I agree. Hopefully at some point our execution improves the the point of being able to pull some of these off.

Yeah... and I thought Oz and Newby did a nice job. Question...do you think Ameer or Rex would have done that much better? With these plays they get, and the crowded box, I'm not so sure. :dunno

I dont know. I havent had a chance to watch, rewatch, then watch again yet. So i havent seen yet if it's missing holes or seams by our backs or just simple not being fleet footed enough, or if it's just a missed block here and there by our young line. It can also be that we didnt do much formationally to try and force some bad defensive alignment. Like our coaches figured out quick and in a hurry that we'd be able to impose our will and left it at that.

Seemed a lot like old osborne football. Don't show things until you have to show them. Guessing the first two weeks our staff will downplay the passing and will throw about 25 between the two games. Then against oregan you will see things open up if NEEDED. However, i feel our OL will do fine against oregan - key will be not falling behind early.

Seemed a lot like old osborne football. Don't show things until you have to show them. Guessing the first two weeks our staff will downplay the passing and will throw about 25 between the two games. Then against oregan you will see things open up if NEEDED. However, i feel our OL will do fine against oregan - key will be not falling behind early.

There was one possession. We got the 3 and out to start the 3rd, and we seemed to open things up a bit. Even the run plays were a bit more scat than we had seen all night. Had the nice little flip end around to Westy comin off the read action. That was a nice curveball. Tommy had the nice scramble hitting Morgan on the sideline. Felt like on that drive, only up 14-10, the coaches had a lot of urgency to get this thing to a two possession game. This was a game we did not want in question still going to the 4th quarter where one bad defensive play could cause a sense of panic to set in.

Then of course the awesome call to go for the throat with a play pass right out of the quarter break to start the 4th. I dont feel enough coaches do stuff like this. Going for the big one right after a turnover, or break, or even right out of the gate to start a game.

It was good to see the heavy run game. But man, where in the world in that playbook does it draw up big runs for our backs? I hope they speak up if they ever get frustrated running 4 yards up the middle...play after play after play.... :bang

There's not very many plays in the inside run game guaranteed to gap for a big play. That's usually just a product of flawless execution combined with an array of mistakes/misalignemtn by the defense

But I agree. Hopefully at some point our execution improves the the point of being able to pull some of these off.

Yeah... and I thought Oz and Newby did a nice job. Question...do you think Ameer or Rex would have done that much better? With these plays they get, and the crowded box, I'm not so sure. :dunno

No, I don't think they would have. We run a lot of slow-developing, up-the-middle run plays. It's a credit to our line than we can make any yards at all. The best runs against Fresno were the few times we ran an outside zone look where the back could take off immediately for the off-tackle hole and there was usually good yardage to be gained. The only plays we really run to the outside are jet sweeps and the QB counter which is a nice play. But our backs don't often get much of a chance to make a big play.

And the other part of that is for all the rejoicing about this staff using more tight ends and full backs, that also brings more defenders into the box. If the defense is able to have 7 or 8 guys in the box and another safety close, there are just that many more bodies to have to block.

• Fire 1

People were saying the same thing about Banker's defense after game one last year.

• Fire 1

No, I don't think they would have. We run a lot of slow-developing, up-the-middle run plays. It's a credit to our line than we can make any yards at all. The best runs against Fresno were the few times we ran an outside zone look where the back could take off immediately for the off-tackle hole and there was usually good yardage to be gained. The only plays we really run to the outside are jet sweeps and the QB counter which is a nice play. But our backs don't often get much of a chance to make a big play.

And the other part of that is for all the rejoicing about this staff using more tight ends and full backs, that also brings more defenders into the box. If the defense is able to have 7 or 8 guys in the box and another safety close, there are just that many more bodies to have to block.

Well said Mav. I agree and could not have said it better.

I'm always towards the back of the pack of people saying, "Let's put so-and-so in there!!!!1" I'm going to assume that one major downfall of just starting Lee outright is a lack of knowledge of the playbook. That's obviously a huge deal; you call a play where he thinks Moore is running a curl route, but instead he goes long...etc., etc.

But I do wonder about the possibility down the stretch, if Lee's arm is significantly more accurate than Tommy's (and this may not even be remotely true) - What would be so wrong about bringing Lee in on third downs to throw? This is a known quantity in college football. It's not a crazy idea.

:facepalm:

Hehehe

Just just thought since it hasn't been mentioned for a few post in this thread, I, umm, well, ha!

lolololol.gif

Lee CAN'T play this year at all. He isn't even an option. So....to bring him up when discussing this year is a total waste of time.

People were saying the same thing about Banker's defense after game one last year.

Good for them and this is this year.

Good for them and this is this year.

It is called being realistic, history usually does repeat itself, Mr. Sunshine

• Fire 1