What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

Ans what are you bringing to the conversation Elf? I've been pretty consistent in my belief that running the ball is the best way to win games. My theory is backed up by 40 years of success here.

How many decades of success throwing the ball does there have to be before people start to understand its just as much a part of the game as running?

40 years of success running the ball? You do realize that isn't accurate? We were a pro-style team before we were a running team. And, get this! We won a pair of national championships and several Big-8 titles before we were a running team.

Before we won national titles as a running team, we played for several and lost. And we had some pretty ugly losses during those years because defenses could stack the box and keep it stacked. We just didn't always have a credible passing threat, not even in play action. (Keithen McCant, Mike Grant or Mickey Joseph anyone?)

I would agree that you can win games by running the ball, but thats where my agreement stops because it isn't the only way to win. Evidence of that is all around you in football at all levels, high school, college and pro teams have all succeeded passing the ball.

And, where did I make an excuse for the call?

• Fire 3

Like it or not we are a balanced offense. In a balanced offense you throw on first and goal maybe 25% of the time and giving your running quarterback a run pass option? Even better.

It was a playcall that was really neither spectacular good or bad. It was a reasonable call with a bad result due to poor execution.

Sure Tommy is prone to execute poorly at times but again you have to expect your starting quarterback to execute the play every time that is a winning mentality.

I'd like to see us run the ball 65 to 70% of the time but it's not just percentages. I want to see us impose our will on lesser teams. I'm all for throwing the ball but not 40 times a game. It's not physical or punishing to a opposing defenses. Alabama throws the ball but they have a identity. They are a power running team. Recently read a article where they interviewed Tom Osborne where He talked about not always having more talent than the opposing team but being more physical was something that they could control. You never hear about Texas Tech being physical.

Elf look up the percentages of tun to pass those years that you say we we're a pro style offense. I've already done it before. All of them ran it at a 70% plus clip.

And back then, that was a pro style offense. We sent 3 qb's to the NFL during that time, Tagge, Humm and Ferragamo.

I'd like to see us run the ball 65 to 70% of the time but it's not just percentages. I want to see us impose our will on lesser teams. I'm all for throwing the ball but not 40 times a game. It's not physical or punishing to a opposing defenses. Alabama throws the ball but they have a identity. They are a power running team. Recently read a article where they interviewed Tom Osborne where He talked about not always having more talent than the opposing team but being more physical was something that they could control. You never hear about Texas Tech being physical.

Is there a reason we can't impose our will on lesser teams and still run a balanced attack? Is there a reason we can't be physical and balanced? I don't see why not. :)

Are you running for office Guy? Lol! You still have answered my question. If you are calling the plays what do you call there?

Who the hell cares what I'd call?

I'm just another guy on a fanboard who thinks his play call would totally have worked because he knows it will never, ever have be put to the test.

Personally? I love the naked bootleg. I like fullback traps in that situation, too. If I have only one call with Tommy around the goal, it's probably some kind of rollout that spreads the d-line and gives him the choice to cut in, stretch out to the pylon, or make a short easy throw to one or more open receivers. If it's only first down he can kill the ball and have two or three more shots.

I'm almost certain Langsdorf didn't call for Tommy to throw the ball directly into the hands of a Wyoming player.

You may forget that Nebraska finds itself first and goal more than once in a game and like every other coach in football, Langsdorf will have more than one call in that situation. IIRC, he called two QB keepers for Tommy and he got two touchdowns out of them, though one was called back.

• Fire 6

Just trying to pin you down to a actual offense philosophy. You never really give one. Just a bunch of hodgepodge answers. Most are usually well thought out but never seem to actually pick a preferred offense.

what a person would call on one play in one game of the season cannot tell you much about that person's offensive philosophy

This also applies to our staff. You can't determine our philosophy off that play alone, you need to take all plays into consideration. Not to insinuate you BRV are doing this, just a general statement

We ran the ball 55% of the time on Saturday. We aren't going back to 65%-70% sorry to break it to you. I would say most teams are closer to 55% than 65% and that includes elite teams. That's football in 2016

Nebraska rushed 43 times against Wyoming and passed 35 times.

Alabama rushed 39 times against Western Kentucky and passed 42 times.

Florida State rushed 36 times against Charleston Southern and passed 35 times.

Even Iowa rushed 36 times and passed 30 times in dominating Iowa State.

Michigan and the coach we wished we had rushed 41 times for 119 yards against UCF and passed 41 times for 328 yards in a dominant win

In the same game, UCF and the coach we wish we had rushed 46 times for 275 times and completed 6 of 22 passes for 56 yards in the loss.

The best teams in college football run and pass and change the ratio from game to game and don't really care what you call their identity as long as they're winning.

Just trying to pin you down to a actual offense philosophy. You never really give one. Just a bunch of hodgepodge answers. Most are usually well thought out but never seem to actually pick a preferred offense.

Yeah. That's the thing. I've been on this board for years now and the people who bring up the "offensive philosophy/identity" question only consider three possible answers: Run First, Pass First, or Balanced.

And two of those options will never work at Nebraska.

So thanks for asking, but I'll pass.

I mean, run.

We ran the ball 55% of the time on Saturday. We aren't going back to 65%-70% sorry to break it to you. I would say most teams are closer to 55% than 65% and that includes elite teams. That's football in 2016

Michigan and the coach we wished we had rushed 41 times for 119 yards against UCF and passed 41 times for 328 yards in a dominant win

In the same game, UCF and the coach we wish we had rushed 46 times for 275 times and completed 6 of 22 passes for 56 yards in the loss.

The best teams in college football run and pass and change the ratio from game to game and don't really care what you call their identity as long as they're winning.

I don't wish for Harbaugh or Frost....

I don't wish for Harbaugh or Frost....

They're both good coaches. Who are likely to call the same plays as Nebraska's current coaching staff.