What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

The run game's struggles today also surprised me. To an extent Wyoming were just selling out vs the run, right? -- which also explains the silly extent to which they were punished through the air.But certainly I think we'd like to see something better out of the ground attack. If other teams can also shut down the run and take their chances with the pass, they'll likely have greater success than a 7-point game heading into the 4th. And it doesn't take a top-tier B1G team to fall into that category.

The biggest thing that would help our run game is to call some play other than running straight into the middle of the line.

They were called, but they used Ozigbo instead of Newby. Commentators even called the coaches out on it at one point.

Though considering how weak Oregon is against the run (see last night's game vs. VA), could some of this be not wanting to show too much on film?

The run game's struggles today also surprised me. To an extent Wyoming were just selling out vs the run, right? -- which also explains the silly extent to which they were punished through the air.But certainly I think we'd like to see something better out of the ground attack. If other teams can also shut down the run and take their chances with the pass, they'll likely have greater success than a 7-point game heading into the 4th. And it doesn't take a top-tier B1G team to fall into that category.

The biggest thing that would help our run game is to call some play other than running straight into the middle of the line.

They were called, but they used Ozigbo instead of Newby. Commentators even called the coaches out on it at one point.

Though considering how weak Oregon is against the run (see last night's game vs. VA), could some of this be not wanting to show too much on film?

Film for the opponent is less important than film for our guys - meaning live reps on what you intend to run is key. And it's not like we are talking about a crazy out of the box play here or there, which maybe you hide for a bit.

I agree, where are the mis-direction plays?

Ben Cotton was a tough son of a gun

All the Cottons represented the University with class and solid play. But people who never sniffed the field at NU want to complain that they suck or are worthless.

Honestly, I didn't think the Cotton boys were worthy of scholarships at NU. If their dad hadn't been a coach at NU would ALL of them have gotten scholarships here? Doubtful.

Ben Cotton was a tough son of a gun

All the Cottons represented the University with class and solid play. But people who never sniffed the field at NU want to complain that they suck or are worthless.
Honestly, I didn't think the Cotton boys were worthy of scholarships at NU. If their dad hadn't been a coach at NU would ALL of them have gotten scholarships here? Doubtful.

Ben cotton had a higher recruiting ranking than either of our current TE recruits. Sam was right in there and if he'd played more of the recruitnik game, he would have been rated higher. Jake was the lowest ranked recruit of the three, but he also ended up signing a FA contract with Houston and is still playing professionally in Canada last I heard.

So beyond the scholarships, were they also handed letters? Because I believe they have 10+ letters between them.

Plus, with some of our current recruiting tacks, I don't think you want to go down the road of questioning people getting scholarships because of their dads' names.

I watched Oregon last night. They are like us, they have some Shaq diesel when they get it all going in the same direction. I think it is a toss up game. AND I looked at the AP votes where we are WAY out of top 25 territory. SO if NU does not beat Oregon (and I think its 50/50) I think it is not likely you will see NU name mentioned in the top25 this year.

Even on that play it's not that he made a bad decision as much as he was confused by an unusual coverage. Rewarding that play, winegard broke off coverage, whether by design or instinct. I think Armstrong anticipated the receiver being open because carter shook his man coverage and the zone deep player was behind the play.

He simply lost account of winegard- assumed he was out of the play - and made the throw to a spot.

I doubt he saw that look in coverage during the week.

Is it not the coaches job to help their players be successful? Pretty much every person on this site agrees that Tommy makes some bad decisions. So why ask him to throw when we have Ozigbo? At least if you run it up the gut three times you most likely get points out of the drive.

Says who? I've seen plenty of successful goal line stands and plenty of missed field goals.

We also get points if TA throws the ball into the 30th row on the first three plays. The pass option was not a bad decision by the staff. If TA throws the ball away. We have 2nd down. Now the defense has to start thinking are we going to pass again or run? NU runs the ball on each consecutive play until we score with a defense that is 50/50 r/p. Nothing wrong with that thinking - execution ruined the drive.

• Fire 2