What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

The team is good but so far not consistent and have not performed well for all four quarters.

The run game is good but I think the blockers are too slow to be able to seal the outside for end runs reliably.

Penalties at the wrong time still hurt too often.

Tommy Armstrong is a great athlete but still makes some unforced drops and badly timed throws. He can get away with it against these teams but

it will hurt us badly later in the year.

The receivers are good.

The defense is good and getting better but they all tackle too high giving up too many yards after contact.

Defense needs to step it up in a big way if we want to stick with the ducks. I don't think they'll put 8 in the box all game like wyoming, and we have to establish the run.

I don't think establishing the run will be a problem. Oregons defense is less than spectacular to put it lightly. We need to use this to our advantage and keep the ducks offense off the field by pounding them on the ground keep the clock running
Even now Virginia is really hurting Oregon on the ground. We can move the ball and score on these guys for sure. I think the game will hinge on a) turnover battle and b) containing Royce Freeman and Oregons rushing attack

They are? It's 30-13 early in the third. Virginia isn't doing anything to Oregon besides getting whacked.
when I posted at halftime their top back had 92 yards and 7.7 ypc that's not hurting a team on the ground?

Edit: just checked final box score their back finished with 126 on 15 carries for 8.4. I'm sorry but that is poor run defense against a subpar Virginia squad. If we can't run on these guys it's because they decide to put lil red in at running back

• Fire 1

Ok, I keep seeing all the posts about bonehead Tommy plays. Exactly how many "stupid mistakes" did he make out there? I'm just curious. I know the INT was beyond stupid, but is that play going to cloud everyone's judgement on other plays that he did make?

I think it is due to the fact Tommy is a Senior, a 3rd year starting QB and that one mistake in the redzone was flashbacks to what has always seemed to be a problem with him and his decision making. I think most of us would hope after 3 years of being a starting QB at the D-1 level at Nebraska those type of mental mistakes would be gone by now. It just makes it hard to trust him in big time situations.

QBs throw picks sometimes, the dude played lights out. Lay off for bad word sake. He is the best QB in the big10 far and away

I learned that we have no special teams. We should rush 11 on punts and forget about a return.

Against better competition, we will not be able to win by attrition and "wearing them down".

Our receivers are money. Solid across the board.

We are loaded at RB.

Tommy is and will always be Tommy.

I know some hated Gerry's hand off, but I liked it. It's been forever since we had a sh!t talking screw you defensive player capable of getting into the heads of opponents. For full disclosure, if he was on another team, I'd hate it. BUT NU needs that swagger.

I still have no real idea how good we are, can be or can't be. If we could put together 4 solid quarters (I haven't seen that in probably 15 years) we could easily win the West and give the East a fight in the B1G CC if not win.

Still unsure on the staff....

Great game as it was a win. Plus TO, since I can't remember.

^^^^^THIS^^^^

+ Tre Bryant is going to be better than good

+ We can win the turnover game

+ our receivers....all of them.....are legit

+ love the guy...played high school ball with him...but Bohl's defensive schemes still don't work

- a special teams coach is not a cure-all

- Knevel is soft

- we can't get to the qb without a blitz

- Carlos Davis can play ball

- we are undisciplined (penalties)

• Fire 1

Something I'd like to learn........When does Cethan Carter become a big part of the offense?

When we stop giving targets to Cotton and give them to Carter instead.
In 2-tight end sets, Cotton may be the open guy because of all the attention that Carter attracts. It's not as simple as just saying "stop targeting Cotton". 12 personnel is liked by Langsdorf and Riley because it gives the offense balance and ability to pass and run from the formation.
  • Fire 1

What would you consider being a big part of our offense?

I think Carter is a superstar, but he hardly gets noticed. Same can be said for Morgan and Pierson-El I suppose.....it just seems to me we have some bigtime players who need to be the game plan, not just another guy on the field. I know the coach actually calls specific plays intended to get the ball to certain guys, but it just doesn't play out that way. Just their presence probably makes it more likely that a lesser known guy will be open.

​My comments have nothing to do with the Cotton-bashing going on in this thread.

Ok, I keep seeing all the posts about bonehead Tommy plays. Exactly how many "stupid mistakes" did he make out there? I'm just curious. I know the INT was beyond stupid, but is that play going to cloud everyone's judgement on other plays that he did make?

I think it is due to the fact Tommy is a Senior, a 3rd year starting QB and that one mistake in the redzone was flashbacks to what has always seemed to be a problem with him and his decision making. I think most of us would hope after 3 years of being a starting QB at the D-1 level at Nebraska those type of mental mistakes would be gone by now. It just makes it hard to trust him in big time situations.

QBs throw picks sometimes, the dude played lights out. Lay off for bad word sake. He is the best QB in the big10 far and away

I'm all for supporting the players, but this is debatable. I'd say C.J. Beathard is probably the best QB in the B1G right now 2 games into the season.

Penalties like we have seen these first two games will kill us against quality opponents like Oregon.

Defense-

*Banker probably knows this offense better than most since they gashed him so many times. Lack of talent is probably the biggest reason for the losses. He will have the team prepared!

* limit Oregon's impressive running game to under 150 yards.

* Dial up some blitz packages and put some pressure on their QB similar to Fresno plan. Repeat our effort from last week and get at least a couple of picks.

* No stupid personel foul penalties like handing their QB the ball after an interception.

Special teams

* Almost everything needs improvement here. Four fifty is not cutting it. Continued poor special teams play could be our downfall in this game.

Offense

* Really hoping Riley and Langsdorf have the most of game plan formed already. You know they want this game really bad. A lot more tools to make it happen than what the beavers had. I think we will see some wrinkles and a very will prepared team next week.

* Oregon's defense sucks. I'm guessing we will try to have a balanced approach unless they stack the box or blitz a lot. The offense will need to come out and score on a consistent basis which worries the most of anything this week. Consistency is the key to beating them.

*TA will need to be better than last week and be turnover free.

*No stupid penalties that kill drives and negate TD's. Something we've seen a lot of the last two games already..... Oregon commits a lot of penalties as well.

The problem with Oregon is their offense does the crazy razzle-dazzle stuff that we defend the worst. Misdirection is something we have no clue how to stop. I hope they're working on a way to contain the backfield, our strongest defensive area to this point. The secondary will undoubtedly continue to be a big mess against a legit passing team like Oregon. Hopefully not too many balls will bounce off the back of our guy's head and the sun won't be shining from every direction.

Something I'd like to learn........When does Cethan Carter become a big part of the offense?

When we stop giving targets to Cotton and give them to Carter instead.
In 2-tight end sets, Cotton may be the open guy because of all the attention that Carter attracts. It's not as simple as just saying "stop targeting Cotton". 12 personnel is liked by Langsdorf and Riley because it gives the offense balance and ability to pass and run from the formation.

Okay. So my next solution is to stop playing cotton...