What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

Part of the issue with Barney was the 'real big red' comment when he was coaching at ISU and they beat us in 04

Yes, he said it. Who really cares? Wouldn't you be a little fired up if the team you coach for just beat the crap out of the team you coached for just the past year? He was coaching at ISU and done with NU at the time. There are a lot of coaches who end up coaching against their alma mater. I am sure it's a good feeling to beat them. I am sure Bohl was extra fired up to face NU this weekend, and he was fired nearly 15 years ago.

It never bothered me, but I know a lot of people took exception. And they only beat us by like 7; Callahan was trying to pass the whole game until Cory Ross almost got us back in the game at the end.

The run game's struggles today also surprised me. To an extent Wyoming were just selling out vs the run, right? -- which also explains the silly extent to which they were punished through the air.But certainly I think we'd like to see something better out of the ground attack. If other teams can also shut down the run and take their chances with the pass, they'll likely have greater success than a 7-point game heading into the 4th. And it doesn't take a top-tier B1G team to fall into that category.

The biggest thing that would help our run game is to call some play other than running straight into the middle of the line.

Defense needs to step it up in a big way if we want to stick with the ducks. I don't think they'll put 8 in the box all game like wyoming, and we have to establish the run.

I don't think establishing the run will be a problem. Oregons defense is less than spectacular to put it lightly. We need to use this to our advantage and keep the ducks offense off the field by pounding them on the ground keep the clock running
Even now Virginia is really hurting Oregon on the ground. We can move the ball and score on these guys for sure. I think the game will hinge on a) turnover battle and b) containing Royce Freeman and Oregons rushing attack

They are? It's 30-13 early in the third. Virginia isn't doing anything to Oregon besides getting whacked.

5:25 left in the third and the Ducks have 500+ yards of offense while giving up a little over 200. They've given up 95 yards on the ground. I'm not sure how anybody can think we'll walk all over them. I hope it happens, but I live in reality.

yeah their qb, two receivers, and RB are legit. But man Virginia is both stupid and bad. Lots of yards out there to be picked up in this game and then are failing. Combination of play calling and their qb being bad. I just worry that we won't stop their passing game at all