What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

The point I was trying to make about Navy had nothing to do with Michigan State at least on my part. My point is that when people on this board say you have to throw the ball to be successful I don't agree. Not saying you don't need to be able to throw the ball. If you take the time to look up Navy's recruiting classes then compare that to their record on the field I'd say their system is pretty successful

Navy is not what would be considered a successful program to emulate. Sorry, but that's batcrap crazy dude.

Especially when they play such weak teams from their conference...put them in the B1G with their offense as it is and they end up looking like Northwestern this year.

Totally agree with this.

The service academies can't recruit 300 lb fat linemen because of height/weight restrictions imposed by the military. You can get a waiver if your BMI shows a low fat content (weight lifters that pack on muscle for instance) but there is no such waiver for someone with a beer gut. They have other restrictions and disadvantages as well. How many kids want to go play for a service academy and then have to serve in the military for an extended period. (How long depends on your career path.)

Navy is in the discussion for me because the cards are stacked against them and yet because of their system the are able to compete at a high level. Imagine if they were landing to 20 recruiting classes. I also like Michigan State but they aren't exactly a model of consistency under Dantonio either.

I think you're exactly right. And it makes people really uncomfortable to admit that NU is holding similar stacked cards relative to the top 20 programs in the country. That ego protectionism is why there's so much resistance to being a "gimmick" or "high school" offense, which is unfortunately how some still view even TO's system.

The point I was trying to make about Navy had nothing to do with Michigan State at least on my part. My point is that when people on this board say you have to throw the ball to be successful I don't agree. Not saying you don't need to be able to throw the ball. If you take the time to look up Navy's recruiting classes then compare that to their record on the field I'd say their system is pretty successful

Navy is not what would be considered a successful program to emulate. Sorry, but that's batcrap crazy dude.

Especially when they play such weak teams from their conference...put them in the B1G with their offense as it is and they end up looking like Northwestern this year.

Totally agree with this.

The service academies can't recruit 300 lb fat linemen because of height/weight restrictions imposed by the military. You can get a waiver if your BMI shows a low fat content (weight lifters that pack on muscle for instance) but there is no such waiver for someone with a beer gut. They have other restrictions and disadvantages as well. How many kids want to go play for a service academy and then have to serve in the military for an extended period. (How long depends on your career path.)

Navy's starting OL is taller and heavier than most of NU's starting OL.

NU has disadvantages, too. We should admit that and figure out ways to attack obliquely rather than frontal assaults on the Alabama's and USC's of the world.

• Fire 1

2. Dantonio is a great coach. We would definitely have fired him after 7-6 (especially after a 51-28 start). I actually think that Bo's approach was more similar to Dantonio than people realize - focus on D and attitude. Dantonio makes Bo look like saint when it comes to interactions with press. People forget that he was a hard hard nosed DC at OSU. He also benefited from moving to a team that was situated in the area where he already recruited (and a team he'd already spent 6 years at).

1. There's no evidence that he would or wouldn't have ever had a 7-6 season here. He built a program from scratch with no facilities, history, or talent, and the results would have obviously been different at a different school. If he did have that season, in the manner that MSU did with 5 single digit losses to good teams, after back to back eleven win seasons, though, there's no way he'd be fired.

2. Bo's approach might have been similar, but his results weren't. One easy example - he's never given up a 50+ point game, ever.

3. Makes Bo look like a saint? In what capacity? Sure, he's abrasive, but the worst he gets is being terse, short, and cold, instead of explosive, raging and screaming. I guess Bo suffers from leaked audio tapes of explicit rants that Dantonio doesn't, but hey, I mean, maybe he still calls his AD a c*** behind closed doors too.

• Fire 3

Totally agree with this.

NU has disadvantages, too. We should admit that and figure out ways to attack obliquely rather than frontal assaults on the Alabama's and USC's of the world.

Not true at all

LT 6'5" 290 / 6'4" 281

LG 6'7" 300 / 6'3" 297

C 6'1" 295 / 6'2" 271

RG 6'4" 295 / 6'3" 294

RT 6'9" 315 / 6'4" 300

Avg 6'5" 299 / 6'3" 289

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=4&SPID=22

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/navy/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/depth_chart_event/depth_chart.pdf

• Fire 7

Totally agree with this.

Not true at all

LT 6'5" 290 / 6'4" 281

LG 6'7" 300 / 6'3" 297

C 6'1" 295 / 6'2" 271

RG 6'4" 295 / 6'3" 294

RT 6'9" 315 / 6'4" 300

Avg 6'5" 299 / 6'3" 289

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/navy/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/depth_chart_event/depth_chart.pdf

To funny, CM King shot down again by facts. Lol

To bad I can only give you one +1.

I forget that I have to be hyper precise with every statement. Let's look at this way. In terms of weight, here's how the 10 players rank:

NU

NU - Navy (equal)

Navy

NU

NU

Navy

NU

Navy
Navy

The minor difference noted above in weight and height hardly "destroys" the argument that Navy has more than one option when it comes to running an offense.

People act as though Navy has dwarfs on their OL. That's simply not the case.

You guys got all this from the Wyoming game?

football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football football

Frank Solich.

• Fire 1

Your original statement is completely false. But good job coming back and moving the goalposts, which is your typical move.

None of my argument is false - you are just hyper attentive to minor throwaway statements.

If I'd simply said, "Navy's OL is approximately the same size as Nebraska's," what would you argue?

• Fire 1

Totally agree with this.

Not true at all

LT 6'5" 290 / 6'4" 281

LG 6'7" 300 / 6'3" 297

C 6'1" 295 / 6'2" 271

RG 6'4" 295 / 6'3" 294

RT 6'9" 315 / 6'4" 300

Avg 6'5" 299 / 6'3" 289

So... exactly none of Navy's OL are taller and heavier than NU's.

• Fire 2