What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

Yeah, go to Navy football recruiting. Last year 87. And the two years before that 120's.

So Navy's recruiting over the last 3 years is a result of Mike Riley going almost .500 overall at Oregon State. And that is a result of Oregon being a Nike school. And THAT is why we are doomed in the long run unless we hire Tom Herman or Scott Frost like tomorrow.

Wow, Football is confusing you guys. I didn't catch any of that by watching Wyoming.

This is where the power running guys are coming from. A lot of our success and failure as a team now heavily rests on Armstrong. The power running game guys would like to see an offense where you take a lot of that pressure off of the QB like we did in the 90's and like Bama does now. Unfortunately, it isn't quite that easy. I doubt we ever get the OL like Bama gets and like what we were producing in-state back then. We don't have to run just a certain offense to be successful. We just have to get the best guys we can get and run an offense with a purpose or identity if you will.

Ok just going to throw this out there...

A lot of our success and failure as a team now and in recent years, heavily rests on athletic-style quarterbacks (Armstrong, TMartinez), a JUCO (ZLee), a gutsy-gambler (Ganz), a transfer (Keller), another JUCO (ZTaylor), and a Joe Dailey. Plus a few walkons in the mix.

And there have been some great running backs to help but in a lesser role.

Or something kinda like that.

You are exactly right. You can also go back even further than you did and include both Lord and Crouch. Crouch completely carried that team. While having a decent/good OL, he didn't have the OL of the mid-90's. He also didn't have a RB anywhere close to what we had in the 90's.

Most guys wanting to see a return of the option/power running heavy offense would like to see a mirror image of what Bama is doing now. To some degree, it is what we enjoyed in the mid-90's. However, I'm not convinced it's feasible. We had a tremendous amount of in-state talent playing on those teams. I'm not seeing that today. I read a month or so ago that four of the starters on either the 94' or 95' NC team were guys we can't recruit anymore because of academics. While four doesn't sound like a lot, it is nearly 20 percent.

There really is no silver bullet. We just need to build more depth and run an offense with an identity.

We learned 9 pages worth of nothing.

No, we've learned we have quite a few members who are living in the past and at least one who is a closet Navy fan, not that there is anything wrong with that...

And we've also learned we can take a thread about what we learned from the Wyoming game and turn it into a dumpster fire of Biblical proportions about Navy and their recruiting classes.

• Fire 3