QB Draw

From what I saw, a key play was the QB draw. Besides the winning TD, TA ran this play successfully at several key points in the game. What happens next year. Without the threat of the QB taking off will our offense be as effective?

Hopefully the running element is replaced by a more efficient passing game. Thought the QB draw calls were well done today, especially in the last drive when Langsdorf sensed the weren't defending it.

Tommy is a warrior but he usually makes us hold our breath when he drops back to throw.

From what I saw, a key play was the QB draw. Besides the winning TD, TA ran this play successfully at several key points in the game. What happens next year. Without the threat of the QB taking off will our offense be as effective?

It's a run-pass play. For example, on the touchdown, Tommy read the defense and saw the overload to the right side. He determined the run was the better option.

• Fire 1

It's a run-pass play. For example, on the touchdown, Tommy read the defense and saw the overload to the right side. He determined the run was the better option.
I really like the RPO's that Langsdorf has put in the offense this year. Tommy is able to make some good reads and decisions and can lead to big plays.
  • Fire 2

I think that the designed draws where there's no time wasted making a fake read pull-out has just always been a great play for Tommy.

I'd say Tommy's first couple of steps aren't as fast as Martinez's were. Still fast, but not as much. I like Tommy in the shotgun draw because it develops a little quicker and gets him to the line of scrimmage looking for the hole faster.

Oregon was definitely wore down on that last play on offense for us. When Ozigbo set that block, it was over. And if I remember right, we called that a lay two times in a row. The first time Tommy went outside for 3-4 yards, then went back inside on the next one for the long run.

Still beaming from this game!

• Fire 2

We'll miss Tommy's tremendous talents as a ballcarrier, no doubt. But a QB can be quite mobile and quick with his feet without being another (potent) RB. And if he's not that either, well, if he's got a starting spot he's got different strengths and just like they're doing now, they'll feature the strengths and adapt to the weaknesses.

Disagree with the draw / qb run going away. Right now TA has great running ability however the defense is leaning towards the run. Next year we will have a qb that isn't as good at the run, however with better passing the defense will be looking for the pass - making the draw play just as effective. TA average draw play gain will be higher, however moving the chains is an effective draw.

Disagree with the draw / qb run going away. Right now TA has great running ability however the defense is leaning towards the run. Next year we will have a qb that isn't as good at the run, however with better passing the defense will be looking for the pass - making the draw play just as effective. TA average draw play gain will be higher, however moving the chains is an effective draw.

The evolution of Langsdorf's RPO game with a less mobile QB will be interesting.

Agree - it will be interesting to see what impression TA will leave on these guys if he has the year that it looks like he may. One thing about these guys (win or lose) they have been very flexible in the play calling over the past 15 years.

Riley and his staff are flexible in how they call their plays in terms of run/pass mix. However, I don't see them recruiting dual-threat QB's who would run the ball nearly as much as Tommy. After this year, I would be shocked if we see designed QB run plays more than 2-3 times a game.