Ross Dzuris

ScottyIce

This is where I'm at with our DE play: Our entire line is doing pretty well over three games at managing rushing lanes. When we get into conference play, that's really what we need.

Would it be great if we had two ends that were just incredible on third & long at getting to the quarterback? Sure, but I think we're set up for conference play really well.

He has been in the right place at the right time a lot. He's a solid player but most - maybe all - of his "big" plays have been taking advantage of what someone else did.

Isn't this a trait we want in most Defensive players?

Right? I'd rather have guys in the right place/right time than otherwise.

Ross has been VERY solid this year. Far better than I thought he would be playing.

I think we all want our guys to be in the right place/right time. However, I think we all want guys who are "super talented" AND be in the right place/right time. Ross is doing the best he can, and that's solid. But, long-term if NU wants to be back to championship football, NU needs better talent at DE.

• Fire 1

He has been in the right place at the right time a lot. He's a solid player but most - maybe all - of his "big" plays have been taking advantage of what someone else did.

Ross has been VERY solid this year. Far better than I thought he would be playing.

I think we all want our guys to be in the right place/right time. However, I think we all want guys who are "super talented" AND be in the right place/right time. Ross is doing the best he can, and that's solid. But, long-term if NU wants to be back to championship football, NU needs better talent at DE.

Agree. While Dzuris has been pretty solid and played better than I expected, yet another qb had all day to throw when we weren't blitzing.

Agree. While Dzuris has been pretty solid and played better than I expected, yet another qb had all day to throw when we weren't blitzing.

I disagree with this. I think the d-line was able to get decent pressure at time in the 3 and 4 man rushes. It's hard to do that on a regular basis though.

Being a DE is difficult when playing a mobile QB like Prukop and other QB's NU has seen this year. The d-line has to rush the passer and play contain at the same time. That's very hard to do. The D-Ends can't pin their ears back and play "meet you at the QB" with a mobile QB because if that QB breaks contain it can lead to a big play.

• Fire 1

I don't disagree. But he's underrated for doing that aspect of his job, when we have had D-ends in the past that haven't even been able to play their position well enough to do that. Especially a walk-on with a bitchin mustache.

He is 1 billion times better than last years DE

Other than Randy Gregory, what Husker DE has played better than Dzuris in the last decade? (I know it's only a 3 game sample.)

Freedom is a better DE than Dzuris. Ross has the stats, but Freedom is the better DE.

Are you sure? Freedom has been slightly better at pass rushing, and Dzuris has been better at run defense, IMO.

I disagree with this. I think the d-line was able to get decent pressure at time in the 3 and 4 man rushes. It's hard to do that on a regular basis though.

Being a DE is difficult when playing a mobile QB like Prukop and other QB's NU has seen this year. The d-line has to rush the passer and play contain at the same time. That's very hard to do. The D-Ends can't pin their ears back and play "meet you at the QB" with a mobile QB because if that QB breaks contain it can lead to a big play.

I get that and maybe it was more from trying to contain and more of a credit to Prukop's talent than anything. I was pretty close to the field at about the 50 so it was a little harder to tell but just seemed like when we weren't blitzing Prukop had a ton of time to throw and that was when he completed most of his passes. We need DE's that are fast enough to consistently pressure the qb.

I get that and maybe it was more from trying to contain and more of a credit to Prukop's talent than anything. I was pretty close to the field at about the 50 so it was a little harder to tell but just seemed like when we weren't blitzing Prukop had a ton of time to throw and that was when he completed most of his passes. We need DE's that are fast enough to consistently pressure the qb.

Agree with that. Did I just flip-flop in this thread?