Between the tackles

knapplc

It reinforces to me that our offense does have a very particular identity that Riley and Langsdorf have found - Wear the other team out in the fourth quarter.

There's no doubt in my mind at this point that they've found the best possible way for our offense to be successful. We didn't have this during the first 2/3 of last season. Now we do. And it feels like a different team.

Maybe a more telling stat. Excluding the drive to score before half when we had to throw the ball to save clock only our first scoring drive featured more passes than runs. 3 runs/5passes. The next two after half were 6runs/1pass, 7runs/3passes and the game winning drive which was 9 runs and 2 passes. Anybody else notice a pattern here?

Wait, so now everyone's on the "run the ball" bandwagon?

What happened to "We could only run the ball because UCLA was small and terrible at run defense. We can't expect to have that type of game plan going forward."

Ummmmm....no.

We are headed into Big 10 play that is going to have bigger and better defensive lines. It's a good sign no matter what you are doing when your yards per carry go up as the game goes on. Some of that is because we are wearing them down. Some of it is because they realize they have to adjust to account for our awesome WRs and an improved TA.

All of it goes together. When we get into BIG 10 play, we are going to have to make sure we have a good enough offense that they can't just stack the box along with these bigger and better D lines.

Not sure where you care coming up with what you posted.

• Fire 1

Yards per carry by quarter:

1st: 2.5

2nd: 4.0

3rd: 5.6

4th: 5.8

I like that stat a lot.

I would have liked to see us recruiting more mobile QBs, but if we demonstrate a true commitment to the run game, I'll be happy.

Will be interesting to see if this is a stop gap until Langs and Riley can move back to what they have stated is their preferred type of O or if they stay with this going forward.

Biggest unanswered question is "what is our identity?"

Although I don't think we'll win many, if any, championships with a wisconsin or Stanford approach to O, I think we'll win a lot more than if we try to be a true WCO system.

Wait, so now everyone's on the "run the ball" bandwagon?

What happened to "We could only run the ball because UCLA was small and terrible at run defense. We can't expect to have that type of game plan going forward."

Ummmmm....no.

We are headed into Big 10 play that is going to have bigger and better defensive lines. It's a good sign no matter what you are doing when your yards per carry go up as the game goes on. Some of that is because we are wearing them down. Some of it is because they realize they have to adjust to account for our awesome WRs and an improved TA.

All of it goes together. When we get into BIG 10 play, we are going to have to make sure we have a good enough offense that they can't just stack the box along with these bigger and better D lines.

Not sure where you care coming up with what you posted.

At the risk of facing another semantics argument, you could look in this thread. And posts #5 & 6 above.

There's not an DL we have scheduled that we can run well against if we are creative in play calling and put our OL at an advantage with it.

It's never really been about a run to pass ratio as much as its about using one play to set up another and exploit a defensive alignment or adjustment.

I just dislike "balance" because of limited reps leading to a situation where you're decent at not and not great at either, which gets you stuck when you face equal or more talented teams.

If the opponent has more speed, you don't run wide and let them catch you

There are certainly ways to neutralize speed with inside and counter running, but you have to be willing to get outside to keep D's honest. Even fast D's can't flow out if they are pinned by play design. That's why Nebraska could run so well to the outside against fast D's in the 90s.

Before someone brings up Miami, we struggled against them becuase they were beasty at DT and MLB, which allowed them to take wide alignments.