Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Suddenly everyone's an expert on Black Lives Matter. Except their "takes" seem to mirror what you'd hear on Brietbart, Hannity, Fox News...

I'm guessing a lot of folks here don't know anyone involved with BLM, but are pretty sure they know what BLM is all about.

what is it about, enlightened one?

http://bfy.tw/7ull

When we say Black Lives Matter, we are broadening the conversation around state violence to include all of the ways in which Black people are intentionally left powerless at the hands of the state. We are talking about the ways in which Black lives are deprived of our basic human rights and dignity.

• Fire 1

Suddenly everyone's an expert on Black Lives Matter. Except their "takes" seem to mirror what you'd hear on Brietbart, Hannity, Fox News...

I'm guessing a lot of folks here don't know anyone involved with BLM, but are pretty sure they know what BLM is all about.

When we say Black Lives Matter, we are broadening the conversation around state violence to include all of the ways in which Black people are intentionally left powerless at the hands of the state. We are talking about the ways in which Black lives are deprived of our basic human rights and dignity.

dont forget all the political demands!

https://policy.m4bl.org/

So when some of the people leading a BLM protest chant "What do we want? Dead Cops! When do we want them? Now!" and "Pigs in a blanket, Fry em like bacon!" They're just good, concerned citizens letting people know that we lack compassion and empathy.

Please note, I used the word some,not all. It's probably best when talking about these issues not to lump everyone together.

You're using the statements of a very few people to impugn the entire Black Lives Matter movement. Of course statements like that against cops are repugnant. Do you really think all BLM supporters want to harm the police?

It's misconceptions and outright falsehoods like this that inflame what should be a very civil topic of discussion.

No, I purposely said some, but if it seems like I was trying to impugn the entire movement, I apologize.

For what it's worth, here is my contribution to the conversation (a little something to pi$$ off everyone)

-The Michael Brown shooting was justified (as investigated by the Obama DOJ). The hands up, don't shoot, narrative is false.

-There is still racism in America, and the whole world for that matter.

-Many of the police shootings in the past year are justified.

-Some of the police shootings in the past year are not justified, and those shootings are being prosecuted.

-The nations police departments are not running rampant with racism; some of the police officers are racist, most are not.

-I would like to say that the majority of the BLM movement is not anti-white, anti-cop; but to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I believe that. (I hope and pray that I am wrong about this)

-Police are not going into the intercities to arrest and hassle african-americans; they are going there to arrest the people who have committed crimes, mostly against african-americans.

-There needs to be criminal justice reform. Our prisons don't need to be filled with non-violent offenders and our use of the death penalty cannot be systemically justified.

I have many others, but this is probably enough for now.

One, last thing; the key to improving race relations is not, as Donald Trump said "more law and order" What a baffoon.

• Fire 2

-The Michael Brown shooting was justified (as investigated by the Obama DOJ). The hands up, don't shoot, narrative is false.

-The nations police departments are not running rampant with racism; some of the police officers are racist, most are not.

The DOJ also found that the Ferguson police department was absolutely rampant with racial bias, as well as finding the same thing out about Baltimore.

So while the deaths of Michael Brown and Freddie Gray specifically were found to be justified, what they represented to the protestors, aka, police departments running rampant with racism, was entirely true.

Would the DOJ have ever investigated those departments and come to these findings without the protests?

The BLM movement is a Marxist organization that seeks to redistribute wealth under the guise that there is a moral debt owed.

Even if this were true, which it is not, explain to me exactly how that isn't fair?

White America stole from, enslaved, and profited massively at the expense of blacks. Millions, billions, trillions of dollars worth of labor and wealth accumulated by whites at the expense of blacks. When have black people ever had any reparations made to them for any of this? When has our country ever made up for any of the negative effects of racism and segregation?

I thought this got moved to the political forum... Good God (note I capitalized it so as to not offend the Jesus freaks), I just want to talk football... remember what happened at Illinois last year? I bet Illinois didn't forget. Sure hoping some players who feel wronged can harness that rage and make some decent tackles, ffs. js, omg... whew, those shrooms are kicking my azz!!

The BLM movement is a Marxist organization that seeks to redistribute wealth under the guise that there is a moral debt owed.

Even if this were true, which it is not, explain to me exactly how that isn't fair?

White America stole from, enslaved, and profited massively at the expense of blacks. Millions, billions, trillions of dollars worth of labor and wealth accumulated by whites at the expense of blacks. When have black people ever had any reparations made to them for any of this? When has our country ever made up for any of the negative effects of racism and segregation?

Seriously.... Native Americans were wronged far more than any other demographic. Its not correct to say all slaves were black, because they weren't. IF you do for one, then you do for all... but you don't do anything until the treaties and lands are given back to the indigenous people... ffs.

• Fire 2

The DOJ also found that the Ferguson police department was absolutely rampant with racial bias, as well as finding the same thing out about Baltimore.

So while the deaths of Michael Brown and Freddie Gray specifically were found to be justified, what they represented to the protestors, aka, police departments running rampant with racism, was entirely true.

Would the DOJ have ever investigated those departments and come to these findings without the protests?

Probably not.

Don't forget completely robbed millions of black people's culture and ancestral history from them.

Like having your entire race run by the Department of the Interior (the ones that are in charge of wildlife and national parks - so basically the wild animals)... wanna take a guess who falls in that category? It's not blacks!

• Fire 2