Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

I'll insert my two cents, and I expect my opinion to not be popular and I will probably be quoted and argued with multiple times like I have in other forums before. I will respond to those in an understanding manner.

All sexes, races, and sexual orientations are politically equal now, and that is great- I am all for equality. I am also for freedom of speech, which is clearly what is being demonstrated here. However, freedom of speech seems to be getting misinterpreted by quite a lot of people in the country. Freedom of speech simply means that they cannot be arrested and convicted because of this. Freedom of speech does not mean that people cannot pass judgment on the people taking a knee during the anthem. While they have the freedom to take a knee, people against it have as much of a right to say they are against it. I do not believe anybody on either side has been arrested as of yet, but don't quote me on that. "Freedom of speech" seems to be the main argument of supporters, so I just figured I'd throw that in there.

I do not agree with racist backlash at kneelers and people who put their fists up, etc. However, I also do not agree with anthem protests, and that is for multiple reasons, those of which many people will not like.

• The first reason is because of the person who started it all. I did not like Kaepernick before this whole ordeal started. I would say more about him, but that will cause even more backlash at me and I would possibly get banned, so I will stop there.
  • The second reason is because cops are not cold blooded killers, and along with military veterans/family members of deceased service men and women, I think this ordeal insults cops in a way too. I am sure that no cop likes the way that cops as a whole are being generalized right now. Before the Ferguson incident, most, if not all, sane people thought of cops as heroes without capes, most of those who didn't were either in jail or were hoping they wouldn't get a knock on their door for a warrant. Nowadays, people are divided on what officers' main purpose is, and that sickens and saddens me. A few bad cops, who may have not been racist but just paranoid (I am not saying they weren't racist) have caused this mess. More than 99% of cops probably wish what has happened in the past 2 years hadn't happened, and the anthem protests do not help that
  • I do not agree with BLM. I will stop there unless somebody wants me to elaborate. Keep in mind I do agree with racial equality before yelling at me.
  • My last reason is the biggest reason why people are against it, are against it: It is disrespectful. The purpose of our country and our flag is much more than killing black people. Sure it was founded with slavery, but that same country abolished slavery. If they are being oppressed, then why do they have the freedom to take a knee? A few bad apples should not be the cause for senseless behavior.

Once again, I expect arguments to my post, and I may have left some stuff out here, but I assure you they will be included in the responses I make. I will never let an argument get heated, I will make my responses calm and collected

We are all on this forum for one thing,

GBR. :)

You hit the nail on the head. BLM is based on frustration from living in poverty. Poor people commit more violent crimes than wealthy people. Cops are aware of this, so they take extra precaution when dealing with those neighborhoods. The people living there understandably interpret that as the police, the government, the wealthy, and white people hating them. But that's not the case at all. BLM is an attempt to be treated fairly and equally, but what the movement fails to understand is that there is no racial bias factoring into the way their neighborhoods are policed.

I'd be curious to have a conversation with Michael Rose-Ivey. I'd ask him what he's trying to change. Does he want police to quit unfairly killing black people? Well, they aren't. Most of these infamous incidents are completely justified. One case that is an exception is the Eric Gardner murder. That was murder. But who says the cop had any racial intentions behind it? Like you said, he could have just been a paranoid, angry individual.

In fact, the racial statistics behind the deaths at the hands of police officers are in line with racial crime/arrest statistics. So to say that cops are more trigger happy with black criminals than they are with white criminals is disproved. So what would Michael say to that? My guess is he'd say that cops are unfairly targeting blacks for arrests now. Does he want cops to just leave them alone? Does he think that would end gang violence? Hey, if that's what BLM is asking for, then let's do it. Let's see how much they hate cops once they realize the cops aren't the source of violence within their communities.

GBRHouston... would you mind elaborating on your third bullet point?

• Fire 1

Just heard on BTN LIve that a Board of Regent quoted to the Lincoln journal star that MRI should be removed from the team and pretty much denied his first amendment right because it could be disparaging to the university. Maybe I heard wrong but if anyone sees the article please post it cause I'm very interested to see what idiot wants to jump down this rabbit hole.

Nvm found it up above....Hal your just asking to be removed from the board. I'm real interested in the contracts these kids sign for scholarships. I wonder if it includes a clause like the military's that you are not allowed to use your position or affiliation for protesting. You are allowed to protest as a civilian and you state that your views are not that of the military or those appointed over me.

The BLM movement is a Marxist organization that seeks to redistribute wealth under the guise that there is a moral debt owed.

Even if this were true, which it is not, explain to me exactly how that isn't fair?

White America stole from, enslaved, and profited massively at the expense of blacks. Millions, billions, trillions of dollars worth of labor and wealth accumulated by whites at the expense of blacks. When have black people ever had any reparations made to them for any of this? When has our country ever made up for any of the negative effects of racism and segregation?

Just heard on BTN LIve that a Board of Regent quoted to the Lincoln journal star that MRI should be removed from the team and pretty much denied his first amendment right because it could be disparaging to the university. Maybe I heard wrong but if anyone sees the article please post it cause I'm very interested to see what idiot wants to jump down this rabbit hole.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/regent-kneeling-huskers-should-be-off-team/article_9ce9b1d7-24b6-5892-98fd-16d9ba999dfe.html

"They know better, and they had better be kicked off the team," he added. "They won’t take the risk to exhibit their free speech in a way that places their circumstance in jeopardy, so let them get out of uniform and do their protesting on somebody else’s nickel."
Daub continued: “Those publicity seeking athletes ought to rethink the forum in which they chose to issue their personal views at the expense of everyone else."

I'd be curious to have a conversation with Michael Rose-Ivey. I'd ask him what he's trying to change. Does he want police to quit unfairly killing black people? Well, they aren't.

KilledByPolice_circumstances_v3.0.png

You didn't read the rest of my post, did you? How about you supplement this chart with racial statistics on crimes committed?

And then, the "All victims" vs "Not attacking when killed" differences are negligible given the likely sample sizes.

• Fire 1

but you don't do anything until the treaties and lands are given back to the indigenous people... ffs.

Yeah. That would be the right thing to do, since, you know, it's rightfully theirs.

I love this argument. Since when is anything rightfully anybody's in this world? Saying that something is rightfully yours is just an idea in your head. You wouldn't disparage a lion for taking over another lion's pride. So why would you do so for a human? We're evolutionary creatures just like everything else, and with that comes survival of the fittest. Maybe you should take a look around your house with all of that modern technology, air conditioning, heat, and running water. Now if you feel so bad for Native Americans, you should probably give all of that up and live off the land because we wouldn't have any of those things if we didn't take over this continent.

• Fire 1