Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

The BLM movement is a Marxist organization that seeks to redistribute wealth under the guise that there is a moral debt owed.

Even if this were true, which it is not, explain to me exactly how that isn't fair?

White America stole from, enslaved, and profited massively at the expense of blacks. Millions, billions, trillions of dollars worth of labor and wealth accumulated by whites at the expense of blacks. When have black people ever had any reparations made to them for any of this? When has our country ever made up for any of the negative effects of racism and segregation?

Just curious, what would your solution be to right these wrongs?

And then, the "All victims" vs "Not attacking when killed" differences are negligible given the likely sample sizes.

Are the differences in harsher/longer sentences for minorities compared to whites for the exact same crimes also negligible?

Please show me an example.

Happily:

There are significant racial disparities in sentencing decisions in the United States.1
Sentences imposed on Black males in the federal system are nearly 20 percent longer than those
imposed on white males convicted of similar crimes.2
Black and Latino offenders sentenced in
state and federal courts face significantly greater odds of incarceration than similarly situated
white offenders and receive longer sentences than their white counterparts in some jurisdictions.3
Black male federal defendants receive longer sentences than whites arrested for the same
offenses and with comparable criminal histories.4
Research has also shown that race plays a
significant role in the determination of which homicide cases result in death sentences.5
The racial disparities increase with the severity of the sentence imposed. The level of
disproportionate representation of Blacks among prisoners who are serving life sentences
without the possibility of parole (LWOP) is higher than that among parole-eligible prisoners
serving life sentences. The disparity is even higher for juvenile offenders sentenced to LWOP,
and higher still among prisoners sentenced to LWOP for nonviolent offenses. Although Blacks
constitute only about 13 percent of the U.S. population, as of 2009, Blacks constitute 28.3
percent of all lifers, 56.4 percent of those serving LWOP, and 56.1 percent of those who received
LWOP for offenses committed as a juvenile.6
As of 2012, the ACLU’s research shows that 65.4
percent of prisoners serving LWOP for nonviolent offenses are Black.7
  • Fire 1

One thing we have always told our kids is that college is an opportunity to meet people and interact with people who come from very different experiences than them. They need to learn from them and allow this to make their college experience more meaningful.

Now, that sounds awfully like I'm a hippy from the 60s. But, it's true. They have grown up in central Nebraska and have been shielded away from many other experiences because of that. Don't miss the opportunity that college gives you to learn from others.

• Fire 1

The BLM movement is a Marxist organization that seeks to redistribute wealth under the guise that there is a moral debt owed.

Even if this were true, which it is not, explain to me exactly how that isn't fair?

White America stole from, enslaved, and profited massively at the expense of blacks. Millions, billions, trillions of dollars worth of labor and wealth accumulated by whites at the expense of blacks. When have black people ever had any reparations made to them for any of this? When has our country ever made up for any of the negative effects of racism and segregation?

You are free to write them a check.

• Fire 2

Maybe Rose-Ivey should just stick to football while he is in a Cornhusker uniform.

I also find it ironic that he was all for free speech and making a statement about what he thinks needs to be said until his Twitter account blew up. Then he thinks everybody else should be careful not to offend his mother...yet how many mothers and fathers and family members of others did he offend who were up in the stands?

Still and all, not a big thing, just dumb. I guess Rose-Ivey came to Nebraska for an education. He's getting one now. :P

Your comments in this thread are among the most ignorant I've seen on the internet lately.

There is a historical precedent for black athletes protesting the National Anthem. In my view kneeling quietly or some other form of silent protest is not at all disrespectful. Far too much is being made of this. Is it that surprising given our country's history and the present state of affairs that for some black Americans...and athletes...their feelings about the flag, national anthem, and other symbols of what the country stands for are complicated?

"There I was, the black grandson of a slave, the son of a black sharecropper, part of a historic occasion, a symbolic hero to my people. The air was sparkling. The sunlight was warm. The band struck up the national anthem. The flag billowed in the wind. It should have been a glorious moment for me as the stirring words of the national anthem poured from the stands. Perhaps, it was, but then again, perhaps, the anthem could be called the theme song for a drama called The Noble Experiment. Today, as I look back on that opening game of my first world series, I must tell you that it was Mr. Rickey's drama and that I was only a principal actor. As I write this twenty years later, I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world. In 1972, in 1947, at my birth in 1919, I know that I never had it made."

-Jackie Robinson, "I Never Had It Made," 1972

The bold is your opinion. In my opinion, it is very disrespectful. You stand to pay your respect to the men, women & their families that that have sacrificed for your rights to have your opinion & openly express them. I have no problem with Rose-Ivey being displeased with current events. He has that right weather I or anyone else agrees with him. My problem is with the way that it is being expressed. My brother in-law lost his only sibling fighting for this country. His brother's only child was born only hours after he had died. Let that really set in. This is only one story. I'm sure many others have their own stories about the loss of a loved one who was fighting for this country & your rights. This is why I stand & find it disrespectful to see others take it so lightly or bend it to fit their personal agenda.

what about those military men, women, and family members who fully support what those players did?

(they are more than a few, by the way)

• Fire 1

One thing we have always told our kids is that college is an opportunity to meet people and interact with people who come from very different experiences than them. They need to learn from them and allow this to make their college experience more meaningful.

Now, that sounds awfully like I'm a hippy from the 60s. But, it's true. They have grown up in central Nebraska and have been shielded away from many other experiences because of that. Don't miss the opportunity that college gives you to learn from others.

And I might add, to teach others. Perhaps you kids will meet others who are from the inner city who have never met anyone from central Nebraska

You are free to write them a check.

While I am just as selfish as any other human being and unwilling to part entirely with the little I have, I am, in fact, giving of my time and money to actively help positively impact black impoverished communities, because the data shows that there's a problem and my conscience can't ignore it.

• Fire 2

Just curious, what would your solution be to right these wrongs?

hey, i think your question is sincere. i appreciate it. i am working right now, but i will get back. thanks

Well someone is back pedaling real fast...

If I were Daub I'd be rowing that boat away from the falls as hard as I could.

I'm guessing the LJS has that interview on tape, though.

You would think he would realize in today's age of technology and being able to get news at a moments notice he would have maybe put some thought into his comments. And yeah all rowing is gonna do is make him very tired before he goes over the fall...

• Fire 2