Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

You stand to pay your respect to the men, women & their families that that have sacrificed for your rights to have your opinion & openly express them.

No, you don't. The National Anthem isn't played before games to pay respect to the troops, it's to honor the entire country, all Americans. It has never been intended to solely represent the troops - that's a post-9/11 change to society that really doesn't belong, like when we added "under God" to the pledge of allegiance during the Red Scare in the 1950s.

If nothing else, this debate exposes much misunderstanding of the meanings and reasons behind displays of patriotism. It's been interesting to see how little people know about their own country.

You are right the National Anthem has changed but not just once. Its been changed quite a bit over the last 200 years & it has slowly changed into a way to respect the men and women who have fought for this country, which you acknowledge only to disagree with later. Hacking my comment was a nice touch though. This time start at the begining & read the part that says "In my opinion it is very disrespectful". After that I again stated "This is why I stand".

Thanks for vast knowledge though.

You know it hasn't officially changed though, right? It's only your perception that it's changed, and not reality that it now represents the troops. To this day the anthem represents all Americans, a celebration of how great our nation is when we all stand together, differences of opinion or not.

• Fire 3

I have no problem with Rose-Ivey & his want & need to show the injustice that he feels. He should have every right to do that. I am just not a fan of the way that it is being done. I would have no problem with him pointing out all of this during interviews or wearing a shirt or wrist band while playing. This is just an instance I feel is an inappropriate time to do it. Again, This is my opinion.

I agree with this. I would prefer that he doesn't bring his protest into the stadium, into what's supposed to be entertainment. I'd march alongside him if he wants to hold a rally here in Lincoln, and my preference is that he does something like that instead of a symbol at a game.

Unfortunately, I don't get to make his decision on how to protest. Kind of like the Christian idea of "love the sinner, hate the sin," I love MRI but am not 100% on board with his chosen method of protest.

However, I'll stand up to defend his right to protest to the day I die. That's what being an American is all about.

• Fire 1

I'll insert my two cents, and I expect my opinion to not be popular and I will probably be quoted and argued with multiple times like I have in other forums before. I will respond to those in an understanding manner.

All sexes, races, and sexual orientations are politically equal now, and that is great- I am all for equality. I am also for freedom of speech, which is clearly what is being demonstrated here. However, freedom of speech seems to be getting misinterpreted by quite a lot of people in the country. Freedom of speech simply means that they cannot be arrested and convicted because of this. Freedom of speech does not mean that people cannot pass judgment on the people taking a knee during the anthem. While they have the freedom to take a knee, people against it have as much of a right to say they are against it. I do not believe anybody on either side has been arrested as of yet, but don't quote me on that. "Freedom of speech" seems to be the main argument of supporters, so I just figured I'd throw that in there.

I do not agree with racist backlash at kneelers and people who put their fists up, etc. However, I also do not agree with anthem protests, and that is for multiple reasons, those of which many people will not like.

• The first reason is because of the person who started it all. I did not like Kaepernick before this whole ordeal started. I would say more about him, but that will cause even more backlash at me and I would possibly get banned, so I will stop there.
  • The second reason is because cops are not cold blooded killers, and along with military veterans/family members of deceased service men and women, I think this ordeal insults cops in a way too. I am sure that no cop likes the way that cops as a whole are being generalized right now. Before the Ferguson incident, most, if not all, sane people thought of cops as heroes without capes, most of those who didn't were either in jail or were hoping they wouldn't get a knock on their door for a warrant. Nowadays, people are divided on what officers' main purpose is, and that sickens and saddens me. A few bad cops, who may have not been racist but just paranoid (I am not saying they weren't racist) have caused this mess. More than 99% of cops probably wish what has happened in the past 2 years hadn't happened, and the anthem protests do not help that
  • I do not agree with BLM. I will stop there unless somebody wants me to elaborate. Keep in mind I do agree with racial equality before yelling at me.
  • My last reason is the biggest reason why people are against it, are against it: It is disrespectful. The purpose of our country and our flag is much more than killing black people. Sure it was founded with slavery, but that same country abolished slavery. If they are being oppressed, then why do they have the freedom to take a knee? A few bad apples should not be the cause for senseless behavior.

Once again, I expect arguments to my post, and I may have left some stuff out here, but I assure you they will be included in the responses I make. I will never let an argument get heated, I will make my responses calm and collected

We are all on this forum for one thing,

GBR. :)

• Fire 2

Why are these arguments being held in the football forum again when this is clearly a sociopolitical issue?
We've moved two threads over as they've progressed, but every thread about it has started here -- which only makes sense.
This is about our players and what they've chosen to do. They, as Nebraska football players, brought the discussion into the Husker sphere precisely so the conversation isn't out of sight for football fans. It's also about how the football team and coaches around them are responding, and about how they'll continue acting at football games.
I'm generally OK with leaving these topics here. It's where they naturally happen.

If they are being oppressed, then why do they have the freedom to take a knee? A few bad apples should not be the cause for senseless behavior.
If you listened to Tommy's remarks before MRI took the stage, he spoke about how they all know how relatively privileged they are just to be playing football in such a spotlight. He said that MRI -- as well as every other athlete who has done so really -- is speaking for others.
Everyone has the freedom, I suppose, to take a knee somewhere. Don't mistake that basic right for actual equality.
All the ways in which people do feel injustice continues unabated and even unrecognized today, I don't think it's imagined. Much of it is demonstrably not so. Look at the report on Ferguson, for example. Wouldn't you be mad, too, if that were your own community? Wouldn't you want awareness and change? Wouldn't you settle down for nothing less?
  • Fire 3

You stand to pay your respect to the men, women & their families that that have sacrificed for your rights to have your opinion & openly express them.

No, you don't. The National Anthem isn't played before games to pay respect to the troops, it's to honor the entire country, all Americans. It has never been intended to solely represent the troops - that's a post-9/11 change to society that really doesn't belong, like when we added "under God" to the pledge of allegiance during the Red Scare in the 1950s.

If nothing else, this debate exposes much misunderstanding of the meanings and reasons behind displays of patriotism. It's been interesting to see how little people know about their own country.

You are right the National Anthem has changed but not just once. Its been changed quite a bit over the last 200 years & it has slowly changed into a way to respect the men and women who have fought for this country, which you acknowledge only to disagree with later. Hacking my comment was a nice touch though. This time start at the begining & read the part that says "In my opinion it is very disrespectful". After that I again stated "This is why I stand".

Thanks for vast knowledge though.

You know it hasn't officially changed though, right? It's only your perception that it's changed, and not reality that it now represents the troops. To this day the anthem represents all Americans, a celebration of how great our nation is when we all stand together, differences of opinion or not.

Would you please share where you got the "official" meaning. I would love to see it. The only really known facts I have seen is that Francis Scott Key wrote the lyrics to this song in 1814 about the 1812 Battle of Baltimore. He was inspired when he saw the American flag over Fort McHenry after being taken prisoner on a British ship. Then in 1930 the Veterans of Foreign wars started a petition to make it the National Anthem & in 1931 it was passed as the National Anthem.

If they are being oppressed, then why do they have the freedom to take a knee? A few bad apples should not be the cause for senseless behavior.
If you listened to Tommy's remarks before MRI took the stage, he spoke about how they all know how relatively privileged they are just to be playing football in such a spotlight. He said that MRI -- as well as every other athlete who has done so really -- is speaking for others.
Everyone has the freedom, I suppose, to take a knee somewhere. Don't mistake that basic right for actual equality.
All the ways in which people do feel injustice continues unabated and even unrecognized today, I don't think it's imagined. Much of it is demonstrably not so. Look at the report on Ferguson, for example. Wouldn't you be mad, too, if that were your own community? Wouldn't you want awareness and change? Wouldn't you settle down for nothing less?

Oh yes, and I definitely get where you are coming from. My view on it, however, is everybody is politically equal as it is. There are always going to be the bad seeds who think they should not be equal. It is what it is, and nothing can be done to change the mindset of those people, as it is their own mindset. There is obviously more awareness, but the people they are trying to target are likely not going to listen, and in fact, may become worse.

Edited by GBRHouston

Trevor Matich needs to get out more if he thinks a few racist asshats are isolated to Nebraska's fan base. And if a kid decommits from Nebraska because he saw racist crap spewed at Michael Rose-Ivey, he's going to be shocked when he gets to his future school and sees the same crap there. Racists, unfortunately, are everywhere. Nebraska is not immune and Nebraska is not the worst.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but Nebraska is the only school that made it to Sports Center for Racist comments from their fans so far this season. That is not good.

Agree that's not good. But we won't be the last. These protests are only going to grow. More players from more schools will join this week, and next week, etc. We'll see this all season, and maybe into next. Inevitably there will be racist backlash among those other fan bases.

^^ This. This is how it will play out. There will be several, probably many, cfb players who take a knee this week. Since they weren't the first in cfb to do this, and since people now understand the meaning behind the gesture, the backlash won't likely be as pronounced. But there will still be ignorant racist asshats weighing in from various locales.

====================================

Moving forward, I'd love it if the whole team and staff would, once and for all, take a knee with MRI this week. This could be done with a couple sentences of explanation on the PA system. And at the same time the staff would release a more detailed Twitter statement explaining our positionexplaining that the gesture is made in the hopes of improving race relations in America, and is no way intended to be disrespectful towards the police or our country.

Moving forward, I'd love it if the whole team and staff would, once and for all, take a knee with MRI this week. This could be done with a couple sentences of explanation on the PA system. And at the same time the staff would release a more detailed Twitter statement explaining our positionexplaining that the gesture is made in the hopes of improving race relations in America, and is no way intended to be disrespectful towards the police or our country.

Star Spangled Banner is played before the teams take the field at Memorial Stadium.

Moving forward, I'd love it if the whole team and staff would, once and for all, take a knee with MRI this week.

That would be a big deal. I would be surprised if it happened, though, and not in a disappointed way. The anthem has a lot of meaning to a lot of people. They can express solidarity with their kneeling brothers while still standing themselves.

Would you please share where you got the "official" meaning. I would love to see it. The only really known facts I have seen is that Francis Scott Key wrote the lyrics to this song in 1814 about the 1812 Battle of Baltimore. He was inspired when he saw the American flag over Fort McHenry after being taken prisoner on a British ship. Then in 1930 the Veterans of Foreign wars started a petition to make it the National Anthem & in 1931 it was passed as the National Anthem.

It's the anthem of the United States, hence it's representative of the entire country.

If you want to talk about military-specific anthems, maybe we could focus on The "Marines' Hymn" or "The U.S. Air Force" or "The Army Goes Rolling Along" or "Anchors Aweigh." I think that's what you're thinking of.

• If they are being oppressed, then why do they have the freedom to take a knee? A few bad apples should not be the cause for senseless behavior.

This is very, very poor mental gymnastics. Just because someone has freedoms, doesn't mean they have the same amount of them as someone else (and, ironically, Rose-Ivey even specifically addressed this rationale).

• If they are being oppressed, then why do they have the freedom to take a knee? A few bad apples should not be the cause for senseless behavior.

This is very, very poor mental gymnastics. Just because someone has freedoms, doesn't mean they have the same amount of them as someone else (and, ironically, Rose-Ivey even specifically addressed this rationale).

Thank you for the response. Correct me if I am wrong, you are saying that not everybody has the same freedoms legally? Everybody has the same amount of freedom, regardless of race or gender. Like I believe I said, freedom of speech means you cannot legally be arrested or convicted because of what you say. All US citizens get the same amount of freedom. If you mean in the minds of other people, then like I said before, it's nearly impossible to change the mindsets of other people.