Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

I'm struggling to figure out how there are two people who felt compelled to recommend this post.

It's called Free Speech, my friend. You used to be for it until you were against it. :clap

You missed it.

Here's a translation for you: it's tough for many of us to believe that there is one person that would write such a comment, even harder to believe there are two additional people that gave it a +1.

:facepalm:

• Fire 4

Because he has a right as a citizen to excercise his freedom of speech. End of story

Then he needs to put on his Big Boy pants and quit whining when it comes to paying the cost of saying what you think needs to be said.

"Free Speech" isn't free. Never has been, never will be. Many hundreds of thousands paid a bigger price for it than some mean Tweets in both this country and others.

I know it's not free I was in the military the last 4 years. And mean tweets or not you don't use racial slurs or death threats if you disagree with someone because those are not protected under the first amendment. It's ignorant thoughts like that that encourage people it's ok to do so.

• Fire 2

This has nothing to do with this conversation.

It absolutely does, you just aren't willing to admit it.

Certain things are inappropriate in certain venues. If Rose-Ivey isn't going to be considerate of those around him, it would be duplicitous to demand it from others.

No, you are off here.

Not one person on that team has said it was inconsiderate. You and a handful of others seem to be bothered by it (or really, I think not bothered by the action so much as you are bothered for what he's calling attention to as a problem in the US).

The tomb of the unknown soldier is not comparable to the anthem at a sporting event. But, I'd be willing to bet if someone decided to take a knee and say a prayer during the ceremony at the tomb it wouldn't be looked at as a problem. And you certainly wouldn't be chirping about it on a chat board.

Here's a translation for you:

You mean explanation, although it is actually neither. Translation would be if your post would have been in German or the like.

The point still stands: You are what you say you despise in others.

There is no such thing as this "semi-conditional free speech" you seem to think exists. You, me, and Ivey all qualify for it or none of us do.

Here's a translation for you:

You mean explanation, although it is actually neither. Translation would be if your post would have been in German or the like.

The point still stands: You are what you say you despise in others.

There is no such thing as this "semi-conditional free speech" you seem to think exists. You, me, and Ivey all qualify for it or none of us do.

You're free to say it - we are also free to think it's offensive and shocking that there are people that in today's age still feel that way and don't have an inkling about expressing it, in writing, on a public forum.

And mean tweets or not you don't use racial slurs or death threats if you disagree with someone because those are not protected under the first amendment.

Racial slurs are protected under the First Amendment. I can point you to an ACLU website that will back this up.

I'll tell you what: let's take a break and some of you go brush up on what exactly is and isn't free speech as opposed to what and what someone might think is inappropriate. I can't debate and tutor at the same time.

You guys can have this thread, I am done with it.

And mean tweets or not you don't use racial slurs or death threats if you disagree with someone because those are not protected under the first amendment.

Racial slurs are protected under the First Amendment. I can point you to an ACLU website that will back this up.

I'll tell you what: let's take a break and some of you go brush up on what exactly is and isn't free speech as opposed to what and what someone might think is inappropriate. I can't debate and tutor at the same time.

You guys can have this thread, I am done with it.[/quote

Good riddance

• Fire 1

Mid 90's. " I hate dumb jocks"

2016 "I hate politically involved athletes, stick to sports"

But most of us love the 80's!

apollorockygif.gif

Wait ... Apollo Creed was a black man. What are you trying to say here? Why did you put the gif of them hugging? What significance does the ocean have?

Was Apollo Creed desecrating the flag or paying tribute to it with the boxing shorts he wore? Does your opinion change when Rocky Balboa wore the same shorts?