Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

First off, if you have the time, listen to him address his comments on Monday:

https://soundcloud.com/game-time-with-nick-bahe/micheal-rose-ivey-addressing-his-protest-92616

Next, I want to say that I support this guy for what he did. I don't agree with the protest. I don't believe there is systemic racism within our culture, however I support this man's right to protest what he feels unjust, regardless.

Finally, I want to say that regardless of your beliefs, you should never make personal attacks or threats against someone just because they have different views. How f'ing childish. I believe the majority of husker fans are great people who support the team and the players. Unfortunately there are bad people in this world and you can't do anything about them defacing the group. Hopefully MRI and all the other players know not to let a small group of shitheads skew their view of true Husker fans.

• Fire 2

I need a "/meh" option

Let me just say this. If MRI missed a tackle and cost the huskers the game, would you support people sending him and his family death threats? Neither would I.

I was with you. "Three huskers kneeled during the national anthem" and my first thought was who cares. But when I realized that people feel so strongly about this topic that they are willing to threaten the players, I started to care.I don't want to be lumped in with a group of moron's who harass student athletes.

• Fire 3

People write terrible things on social media. I would like him to call out names of people that made these racially biased slurs. On the flip side, I think MRI knew what he was going to ignite. Maybe if you're going to put yourself out there you shouldn't be offended by what a few might spew? For me to take MRI's stance on police brutality seriously, I would have preferred he issued a statement before and listed some specific instances of witnessed or experienced police brutality on the black population. This seems like it's just for the sake of drama.

Also I have never understood equating the American flag to police brutality.

• Fire 1

People write terrible things on social media. I would like him to call out names of people that made these racially biased slurs. On the flip side, I think MRI knew what he was going to ignite. Maybe if you're going to put yourself out there you shouldn't be offended by what a few might spew? For me to take MRI's stance on police brutality seriously, I would have preferred he issued a statement before and listed some specific instances of witnessed or experienced police brutality on the black population. This seems like it's just for the sake of drama.

Also I have never understood equating the American flag to police brutality.

I've read that a few different places. Sorry, that's total BS.

Just for perspective -- and this was before the internet -- Tom Osborne and family regularly suffered telephone threats and vandalism at their home because Tom wasn't winning enough games.

Also, there is systemic racism in this country, whether you want to believe it or not.

And it's really not that hard to believe.

• Fire 6

Just for perspective -- and this was before the internet -- Tom Osborne and family regularly suffered telephone threats and vandalism at their home because Tom wasn't winning enough games.

And f#*k those people.

Also, there is systemic racism in this country, whether you want to believe it or not.

And it's really not that hard to believe.

Maybe there is. Maybe I'm just naive. And maybe it's more prevalent in other regions. Regardless, the point of the thread is to show support for our players and what they do, not to discuss political issues.

I want current and future husker athletes to know that the vast majority of our fans are not going to judge or harass them for their beliefs, and that the vast majority of us will call out those who do.

• Fire 1

I know I was quick to pass judgement on this.I realize now my past comments were wrong. To MRI and others, I don't agree with the way you did this. Be I respect the you for standing up for what you believe in. To many people just go with the flow and are Lemmings. For those who took to social media to attack these young men. How you you feel if the shoe was on the other foot.? Pretty chicken sh#t to hide behind your phone.

There is racism on both sides of the aisle. But who just that benefit - POLITICIANS.

What about the people who continue to go about their business while the anthem is playing? It amazes me that people get so upset about this, but when others continue to walk around, visit, etc it is not that big of a deal. I may not agree with those kneeling, but I am not going to let it ruin my day or influence my opinion of them.

I'm glad you posted this because I have thought the exact same thing. These people are showing MUCH more disrespect than the three kneeling players.