Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Maybe Rose-Ivey should just stick to football while he is in a Cornhusker uniform.

I also find it ironic that he was all for free speech and making a statement about what he thinks needs to be said until his Twitter account blew up. Then he thinks everybody else should be careful not to offend his mother...yet how many mothers and fathers and family members of others did he offend who were up in the stands?

Still and all, not a big thing, just dumb. I guess Rose-Ivey came to Nebraska for an education. He's getting one now. :P

I'm struggling to figure out how there are two people who felt compelled to recommend this post.

• Fire 4

This has nothing to do with this conversation.

It absolutely does, you just aren't willing to admit it.

Certain things are inappropriate in certain venues. If Rose-Ivey isn't going to be considerate of those around him, it would be duplicitous to demand it from others.

If you can't see the difference between the two situations, then all hope is lost to you.

• Fire 1

Certain things are inappropriate in certain venues. If Rose-Ivey isn't going to be considerate of those around him, it would be duplicitous to demand it from others.

I think Rose-Ivey was considerate of the 69 other players and coaching staff when he spoke to them about the issue before the game.

I don't think MRI is demanding respect from others, I think he was disappointed in the reaction he got from some fans. He is being a little naive in expecting 100% positive reactions, but it still can be disappointing to get death threats from people who thought cheered for you during football games.

Check out the Twitter and Comments Section greetings Leslie Jones received when she was announced as a cast member of the Ghostbusters remake

...and three black men beat up a white guy in Charlotte who was begging for mercy, but what does either have to do with Rose-Ivey keeping his politics out of his football?

• Fire 1

I think Rose-Ivey was considerate of the 69 other players and coaching staff when he spoke to them about the issue before the game.

I don't think MRI is demanding respect from others, I think he was disappointed in the reaction he got from some fans. He is being a little naive in expecting 100% positive reactions, but it still can be disappointing to get death threats from people who thought cheered for you during football games.

Yeah .... "disappointed". That's what he feels.

:sarcasm

Horrible things and horrible people that do and say them. However I am confused about the issue. Is it police brutality against blacks or racial injustices experienced by MRI?

It really doesn't matter what his exact reason is. He feels strongly enough to use his position as a college athlete on a popular football team to try to cause action against both police brutality and racial injustice. He is well within his right to do so regardless of if he is Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, or any other race or ethnicity.

• Fire 2

If you can't see the difference between the two situations, then all hope is lost to you.

The same could be said about you not acknowledging the similarities.

Sometimes (many times) a sense of propriety trumps free speech for the discerning. If you are going to sacrifice that sense of propriety, don't expect it others to provide it during their exercise of free speech.

Because he has a right as a citizen to excercise his freedom of speech. End of story

Then he needs to put on his Big Boy pants and quit whining when it comes to paying the cost of saying what you think needs to be said.

"Free Speech" isn't free. Never has been, never will be. Many hundreds of thousands paid a bigger price for it than some mean Tweets in both this country and others.

I'll tell you what: I'll buy Michael Rose-Ivey a ticket to the upcoming movie "Hacksaw Ridge" so he can compare his woes to that of Deloss Dodd's service in the U.S. Army during WWII, since they both made a stand and a statement. I will have to say, Dodd's was at least original.

• Fire 1