Vice Presidential Debate

This is f'ing unreal.

Was looking to get a feel for the possibilities of who I might vote for by virtue of this debate and walla, lost my satalite connection. The powers don't want me to vote! That has got to be it.

errrrrrrr.

Zoogs, can you do a play by play? LOL

This is f'ing unreal.

Was looking to get a feel for the possibilities of who I might vote for by virtue of this debate and walla, lost my satalite connection. The powers don't want me to vote! That has got to be it.

errrrrrrr.

Catch it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/i/live/778347749217406976

These guys can't agree on what is reality and what is not.

"You can throw out your numbers, but ..."

There's no but there, Mr. Pence.

• Fire 2

This is f'ing unreal.

errrrrrrr.

Catch it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/i/live/778347749217406976

These guys can't agree on what is reality and what is not.

"You can throw out your numbers, but ..."

There's no but there, Mr. Pence.

Thanks +1

"You have a voting record, Governor Pence!"

"I get that, but.."

Doesn't proceed to discuss the criticism of his voting record.

We're being snowed by a mountain of rhetoric. It's impossible to have a conversation about policy by playing two campaign ads over each other. Which is basically what this is.

I'll just keep my ongoing commentary here. Bits and pieces.

--

"(This talk of implicit bias) has got to stop."

Wow.

Pence is now talking about our "besieged" "inner cities" in support of Stop & Frisk.

It cannot be easy to say so many nice things about Donald Trump. Good thing Pence has mastered the art of shaking his head and scrunching his eyebrows -- regardless the situation.

--

"If Donald Trump said the things you said he said" -- he did say those things. I think he just called Trump's campaign insults "small potatoes", as well, compared to the "basket of deplorables" comment. Which frankly, doesn't seem all that inaccurate, but I'm not surprised there's an effective campaign counter to be made from it.

--

"I'll see if you can defend any of that [things Donald Trump said about foreign policy]."
"I can defend...uh, I can make clear to the American people."
This is proving to be an apt correction. Pence is blaming Hillary for ISIL's rise now, and appears to be passing on defending Trump on foreign policy.
--
Pence defending and doubling down on his push to block all refugees from Syria, recently declared unconstitutional.
Pence: "Well, those [7th circuit Republican-nominated judges] said there was no evidence yet."
--
Pence calling for a rebuild of the American military.
A rebuild?
[update: also calling for modernizing American nuclear arsenal]
--
"6 times I've asked Governor Pence how he can defend Donald Trump's position. 6 times he has declined to defend it."
This is quite true.
--
Pence is branding the Clinton campaign as "insult driven." Really a point he's attempting -- unironically, we presume -- to drive home.
--
"Why would Putin respect a Trump administration?"
"Strength. Plain and simple."
--
"De-nuclearization of the Korean peninsula. Plain and simple."
--
We're now at the point where the candidates are offered the opportunity to talk about how religious they are.
Kaine's point: Important not to substitute personal beliefs for everyone else's belief.
Pence: Stance against abortion. Hits at Hillary Clinton for supporting the Hyde Amendment.
I wished Kaine would ask Pence about the bill he sponsored that would deny rape victims coverage for abortion unless it's "forcible rape."
More on the Hyde Amendment.
--
Hey, we're back to the Mexicans thing!
"Senator, you've [flipped?] out the Mexican thing again."
"Can you defend it?"
..."You keep leaving out the part where he said 'and some of them are good people!'"
You know who's not at this debate? NUance :D
--
Hey, "War On Coal" made it in here as a Trump-Pence talking point. I was wondering if we'd see that.
--
A couple of points made better by others than by me:
2. Pence can keep his guffaws and his "That's nonsense"; let the facts stand on which is the insult-driven campaign.
  • Fire 1

It's easy to say a lot of nice things about Donald Trump when you're a shameless opportunist worries about your own ambitions. It's seriously unreal to me that Pence continues to act like his running mate isn't Trump.

The "insult driven campaign" remark from Pence drew quite the response from Kaine. "You know, I'm just saying facts about your candidate." Pence "Yeah, but..." Unreal.

Pence appears calm and cool and statesmanlike. But his reality is not the reality I know. And I think his record and policy beliefs are atrocious. Kaine, on the other hand, seems quirky and perhaps a bit too energetic, but I agree with his policies much more and he appears to acknowledge reality.

You're right, this is just an hour and half infomercial for talking points.

• Fire 1