Vice Presidential Debate

^ Apt.

Good performance, but short on substance.

Pence and a gang of geniuses will be running the country.[/size]

Have you been following his campaign?

yes i have been. And i stand by my "opinions". Trump is not the genius. But i believe he has the power to put the proper ppl in the proper positions.

Like the great people that run his "charity" foundation?

I'm very surprised at how many people claim "Pence killed it." If by "killing it" you mean not defending his running mate and denying facts, then yeah, he hit it out of the park.

To me Pence looked like he'd have rather been anywhere else in the world. His constant snarky under his breath comments, disdainful demeanor, and unwillingness to be accountable for his running mate made me dislike him even more.

Didn't watch. Was working late.

From what I gather:

Kaine - interrupting non-stop

Pence - continually denying things that he/Trump actually said

Are you sure you didn't watch it? You have the complete and concise summary listed here. You would not learn one more thing by actually watching it. Except maybe that the moderator was pretty hot and Kaine always has a smug smirk on his face.

• Fire 1

Didn't watch. Was working late.

From what I gather:

Kaine - interrupting non-stop

Pence - continually denying things that he/Trump actually said

Are you sure you didn't watch it? You have the complete and concise summary listed here. You would not learn one more thing by actually watching it. Except maybe that the moderator was pretty hot and Kaine always has a smug smirk on his face.

Finally, someone's talking the issues that matter!

And yeah, Kaine's just got kind of a goofy face.

• Fire 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHqJGgdPe48

Kaine's 72 interruptions.

My take for what it is worth. Pence looked and sounded so much more presidential than Kaine. Kaine came across as a smug, arrogant, jerk. If Hillary or Trump don't last 4 years (for various reasons), I am much more comfortable with Pence's temperament (since that has been a part of the discussion this year) than Kaine. Pence came across as controlled, calm, knowledgeable and competition - which unfortunately for him - his running mate at the top of the ticket doesn't. Kaine sounded and looked like he didn't take his anxiety meds or his ADHD meds for some time. Hyper, tense, etc.

Pence helped Trump, Kaine hurt Hillary. Will it really mater - only if Trump performs better in the next debate. But at least Pence provided some competence and gravitas (popular 2000 election year word) to the ticket. He should be at the top of the ticket. 2 years ago, he was one of the guys I hoped would run for president. But if he had, he would have been insulted and ran over by Trump like all of the other candidates.

Oh and finally, even though the moderator was pretty as JJ notes above, she was totally out of her league. She lost control of the debate at the beginning. She also tried to reign in Pence when he was saying something negative about Hillary (your time is up!!)but didn't do so as much as when Kaine went on his rants about Trump. Afterwards, Bob Sheifer (sp?) the old CBS political analyst & debate moderator himself, tried to place a good face on it by saying how great of a job she did. Maybe he was trying to make points over the NBC moderator, Lester Holt, in the previous debate. Not often you hear the anchor crew extol the virtues of their moderator - I suspect they knew she lost control and they had to cover it up wt kind words.

• Fire 1

I'm about an hour through watching it.

Both of these guys have their warts but they are no where close to as bad as their running mates.

Why oh WHY couldn't the primary voters vote in at least some type of reasonable candidates as nominees?

In the long run, I don't think this is going to change the election much.

I didn't get to watch last night, but I hope to on DVR later this week.

From what I've heard, I'm really surprised Pence's anti-LGBT policies were not highlighted.

Nor was Hillary's emails - only because Pence brought it up. Again the moderator ignores that story and had limited comments on the Clinton Foundation.

• Fire 1

I'm about an hour through watching it.

Both of these guys have their warts but they are no where close to as bad as their running mates.

Why oh WHY couldn't the primary voters vote in at least some type of reasonable candidates as nominees?

In the long run, I don't think this is going to change the election much.

Agree - both are better than the top of the tickets.

TGH, I actually have a bit of a contrarian view on the effect of this debate.

If you look strictly at the debate between two people, Pence did win. He came off as cool, calm, and collected in the face of criticism, and that's probably why the far-right base loves him so much. Former radio show guy, he presents well. Like Trump, he's a showman, though of a distinctly different flavor. Pretty effective at debate tactics, pivoted well from being attacked to lashing out at Clinton/Obama.

I do feel it's necessary to highlight what Zoogs pointed out, though... Pence was just dancing around reality as if it didn't exist. He was lying through his smiling teeth pretty much all night, and the Clinton campaign already has a video out this morning of him denying Trump's statements followed right away by the original clip of Trump saying them. It's easy to look calm and collected when the truthfulness of what you're saying doesn't matter.

Kaine, on the other hand, did come off as spastic, rambunctious, over-prepared, and of course, interjected a ton. Apparently it tweaked Trump, because he's projecting again this morning about how Kaine's interruptions shouldn't be allowed.

But he went into the debate with one mission: attack Trump all night. And it worked. Though he laid it on pretty thick, he reminded tons of people who might otherwise have forgotten-- or not known-- about all of the awful things Trump has said and proposed over the course of his campaign.

As we've seen, the polling tends to trend AWAY from whoever is in the headline. Kaine effectively bypassed the spotlight to pass it on to the worst aspects of Trump's campaign, and Pence trying to deny they never happened. As long as the headlines stay on Trump, I'm happy.

As an aside, Pence seems like a reasonable, moderate choice by comparison to Trump or Clinton. He's really not. He's like, WAY far right. QMany is right that his virulent anti-LGBTQ past should be examined more. Well, and as I've said, his penchant for peddling anti-science views and other nonsense. Read up on his history a bit and see if you actually like him. I'm of the mind he could be disassembled fairly easy if thrust into the spotlight for his history.

• Fire 3