Have any opinions changed about this staff?

Have opinions changed on this staff?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wanted everybody- or at least the coordinators fired after the Purdue game at year. At this point, I'm glad I was wrong.

Same. Surprised at the low negative-positive in this poll.

To be fair....there are some who were extremely negative who are not posting very much or none at all anymore.

Very true. I am happy to be eating crow. We are 5-0, but we still have a 9-3 team. Recruiting is improving. Sticking with Riley through thick and thin.

In honesty there were very few of us at the start. Most felt he did not deserve the job, that SE had really screwed the pooch. I think our AD knew just how bad the culture was and looked for someone that would be accepted out side the fan base. That could calm the team, and get them to buy in. I don't think that happened as fast as all of us wanted.

I have watched Nebraska football for many years, and I think we needed someone that resembled Coach Osborne. I know Coach Osborne, have yet to meet Coach Riley, but for me there are a lot of similarities.

We need to fly right, establish that we are a player, recruit with the best of them. I think Coach Riley gives us those opportunities. I actually look forward to the sideline pan, seeing him smiling, joking with the kids, talking with the officials. Positives.

I remember a bunch of optimism, even right off the bat. When the hire happened I was still thinking maybe Jim Tressel, maybe Scott Frost, heck maybe they'd get David Shaw. When the name popped up, I went, "who in the world?!"

But even a quick read after that made me really, really happy with the get. And I distinctly remember -- for all the bitter folks out there, and I know they're still in the woodwork -- I was not even close to being alone.

It's been a really pleasant time.

• Fire 1

I'm not a huge fan of arrogance, though. Ignorance and arrogance can often go hand-in-hand. JMHO

Well, I admit to providing the arrogance for my part, and since we are hand-in-hand in this debate, that leaves your contribution as...?

Don't take the above seriously, but you did leave that one hanging out over the plate! :rolleyes:

Also...Why is it okay to tell people to sit down but it is not okay to tell people to stand up?

If we are talking fans, then it's a matter of not making going to the game intentionally worse for someone when you can make it better. I think we both agree on this.

If you are talking players, we have been through that and nothing new is to be said. Again, it's all about keeping the atmosphere enjoyable for all and not causing offense where none needs to be.

This actually isn't "fandom" stuff, this is nothing more than being reared properly.

the "blue hairs" as you call them (or the long term supporters as I'd refer to them as)

I pointed out that this phrase was first coined in this forum by "The World's Greatest Fans". That is why quotations marks were used, if you noticed. I used "blue hairs" as such to point out that my perception of a great fan is that they would be more deferential to their elders and more accommodating. I am fine with the term going away in this forum.

Do we agree on this?

Here we go again...You can keep your pictures -- but I'm sure you'll share it someday, unprompted, a bold bolt out of the blue to score a point for ol' Bo

Actually, the two seismic shifts were the booing at the Ohio State game and somebody releasing the "secret tape" as some sort of "GOTCHA!" moment. I had to agree had no defense with what was being said at the then ShaggyBevo and some SEC sites about the Nebraska fans handling of both incidents, and having to agree with some Longhorns probably has scarred me for life. But like you said, if you guys are okay with excusing those things, we can agree to be different.

As for Bo, he is where he wants to be. Nebraska gave him his freedom and he is back in his old neighborhood making the same money in a place he likes better, so firing Bo really isn't the problem here, is it? Fans didn't really need to become a lynch mob once Bo had enough rope to hang himself, right?

I think the whole Greatest Fan thing is mostly about me

If we had a Mt. Rushmore for Nebraska football, your image would be carved between Devaney's and Osborne's. I'm thinking the fourth guy might be Henry Waechter, I always liked him.

We could graffiti Mavric in somewhere lower, but every time he starts an injury thread, somebody ends up injured in it, so I do hold that against him.

In honesty there were very few of us at the start. Most felt he did not deserve the job, that SE had really screwed the pooch. I think our AD knew just how bad the culture was and looked for someone that would be accepted out side the fan base. That could calm the team, and get them to buy in. I don't think that happened as fast as all of us wanted.

I have watched Nebraska football for many years, and I think we needed someone that resembled Coach Osborne. I know Coach Osborne, have yet to meet Coach Riley, but for me there are a lot of similarities.

We need to fly right, establish that we are a player, recruit with the best of them. I think Coach Riley gives us those opportunities. I actually look forward to the sideline pan, seeing him smiling, joking with the kids, talking with the officials. Positives.

I remember a bunch of optimism, even right off the bat. When the hire happened I was still thinking maybe Jim Tressel, maybe Scott Frost, heck maybe they'd get David Shaw. When the name popped up, I went, "who in the world?!"

But even a quick read after that made me really, really happy with the get. And I distinctly remember -- for all the bitter folks out there, and I know they're still in the woodwork -- I was not even close to being alone.

It's been a really pleasant time.

I seem to remember the general reaction after Riley was hired being: "Who?" Followed immediately by all the disgruntled Pelini fans attacking Riley's record at Oregon State. Riley wasn't the splash hire that Jim Tressel/Scott Frost or some other big name would have been, so I think some were disappointed we didn't win the press conference too well. But there were also a lot of people who were tired of Pelini's act and just wanted Nebraska Football to be fun again.

Riley won me over with his interviews and statements, his hires, administrative decisions such as recruiting support staff and social media ops, and re-recruiting that first class. To me, "coaching football" isn't the hard part. Lots of people can coach football. It's everything that goes along with running a big-time program that predicts success or failure at this level. And Riley has shown very well with all those things. To me it was/is only a matter of time before the "football" catches up with the "program."

• Fire 1

Results after 132 votes(!)

After UCLA Bowl Win:

16% Negative

53% Skeptical

31% Positive

After 5-0 Now:

2% Negative

32% Skeptical

66% Positive

IMO these numbers will be similar even if we go 7-0. Maybe we move up to 70% positive. I would guess that for most of the "skeptical but patient" a win over Wisc, OSU, or Iowa would be the difference.

After UCLA Bowl Win:

16% Negative

53% Skeptical

31% Positive

After 5-0 Now:

2% Negative

32% Skeptical

66% Positive

IMO these numbers will be similar even if we go 7-0. Maybe we move up to 70% positive. I would guess that for most of the "skeptical but patient" a win over Wisc, OSU, or Iowa would be the difference.

Probably. But, even if we ran the table this year, there will be some who still sit back with their arms crossed huffing about how he got lucky, the schedule was easy, those teams weren't as good as they normally are....etc.

After UCLA Bowl Win:

16% Negative

53% Skeptical

31% Positive

After 5-0 Now:

2% Negative

32% Skeptical

66% Positive

Probably. But, even if we ran the table this year, there will be some who still sit back with their arms crossed huffing about how he got lucky, the schedule was easy, those teams weren't as good as they normally are....etc.

We wouldnt be quite that harsh.

After UCLA Bowl Win:

16% Negative

53% Skeptical

31% Positive

After 5-0 Now:

2% Negative

32% Skeptical

66% Positive

tumblr_inline_niarswzcyo1smze4t.png

• Fire 1