Have any opinions changed about this staff?

Have opinions changed on this staff?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been very troubled all year about not playing a future QB some this year. We start from scratch next fall. Scary to say the least.

That would have meant some garbage time vs Fresno St and maybe a series vs. Wyoming. The rest were too close for POB to get in, so I think keeping his RS in place is the prudent choice for POB.

My opinion of Riley is unchanged. We are on par with the Illinois of college football. The Michigans and Ohio States remain leaps and bounds ahead of us.

Earth shattering takes here.
i

I liked Riley even at 5-7 but I can understand the skepticism. Can you agree that the cupboards were pretty bare and the team was in chaos? Do you think there's a coach out there that could have fixed the team last year? This is a process and although I'm hopeful for this year. I'm also realistic. My guess is we're likely to drop 3 at some time. I'm curious as to if we lose several times, will the poll results change significantly? Mine will stay the same.

If you had timelined it differently it would provide more of a roller coaster.

After the hire: WTF?!

After spring ball the first year: Positive, saying all the right things, led to believe they would adapt to the personnel in place.

After we lost to Purdue: Patient, but felt lied to by MR and staff about their system and pretty much everything said in the offseason

After Michigan State: Hip-hip-horray x10

After Losing to Iowa: It's gonna be a LOOOOONG offseason

UCLA: Glad for another game we need the practice, a win would just be a bonus

Post UCLA: NICE! What a great game!

Offseason: Red-White game format sucked, a little sick of the hype for whoever that QB was that got a standing ovation before taking a snap, then threw two picks

First Game: Nice to see us run,....

Second Game: Nice to see we can INT

Third Game: OREGON!!

Four Game: Just happy to beat NW they always scare the bejesus out of me.

Fifth Game: A little frustrated we can't just dominate people from start to finish.

Now: Glad we're #10 but don't think we deserve it, still positive about the staff but wary of the road ahead schedule wise.

• Fire 3

Can you agree that the cupboards were pretty bare... ?

Explain to me again this "cupboards were bare" legend.

Three linemen (Collins, Valentine, and Gregory) that would have been seniors this year are good enough to play in the NFL.

The other two defensive linemen that left were good enough to play or start on many teams and a third is starting at Nebraska now.

Nebraska has the same starting quarterback in Tommy Armstrong (who Riley has now figured out).

The starting running back (Newby) was in the cupboard.

Westerkamp and Reilly are from the previous staff, as is Alonzo Moore. Combined with #15 below, I would say that's a pretty full cupboard at wide receiver.

Riley's three deep tight ends are all from before, with Cethan Carter having a shot at the NFL.

They also left the top punt returner in the nation (Pierson-El) here when Riley took over, although he's not getting many opportuniites now.

Sam Foltz was one of the best punters in the country and would probably be heading to the NFL after his Senior year.

Now, the offensive line had only Alex Lewis, who played "not very well" at Nebraska his last year but went to the NFL, so I don't know whether to put him in the plus or minus column.

So most of the movers and shakers on offense in this now Top Ten team were ones "in the cupboard" when Riley rolled in from Oregon State.

I guess this is how urban legends get started... :koolaid2:

Three linemen (Collins, Valentine, and Gregory) that would have been seniors this year are good enough to play in the NFL.

The other two defensive linemen that left were good enough to play or start on many teams and a third is starting at Nebraska now.

Nebraska has the same starting quarterback in Tommy Armstrong (who Riley has now figured out).

Westerkamp and Reilly are from the previous staff, as is Alonzo Moore. Combined with #15 below, I would say that's a pretty full cupboard at wide receiver.

Riley's three deep tight ends are all from before, with Cethan Carter having a shot at the NFL.

They also left the top punt returner in the nation (Pierson-El) here when Riley took over, although he's not getting many opportuniites now.

Sam Foltz was one of the best punters in the country and would probably be heading to the NFL after his Senior year.

Now, the offensive line had only Alex Lewis, who played "not very well" at Nebraska his last year but went to the NFL, so I don't know whether to put him in the plus or minus column.

So most of the movers and shakers on offense in this now Top Ten team were ones "in the cupboard" when Riley rolled in from Oregon State.

Everything you said is spot-on. No quibbles. But, linebacker depth was awful. Offensive line depth, abysmal. I could mention place kick holders as well. None of that refutes that Bo built solid depth in RB, DB, (somewhat) defensive line (although misses in recruiting means that we will have a break between Maurice and everyone behind him......the Davis twins and Stolt are good, but no juniors? inexcusable!).

For me the bottom line is the staff is home run from top to bottom except for some reservations about Read.

As for the DL, yes those guys went to the NFL, but where are their replacements? We have little to no depth on the DL right now. The LB depth is terrible, but the DB's are in pretty good shape. As for the offense, the OL also lacks depth, the QB was from Bo's staff with no quality depth behind him (Sorry Fyfe). The best part for TA is that this staff is actually coaching him on how to be a QB, the last staff just told athletes to go make a play with little guidance. RB's are ok, no studs, but they are not bad either. The WR's/TE's are in excellent shape which is odd since Bo liked to run the ball more than pass it.

You win by having quality depth at all positions and that was never the case while Bo was here. Hopefully that changes with what looks like the first of many outstanding recruiting classes that Riley is bringing in.

A sad stat is that if/when we win this weekend, it will be the first 6-0 start since 2001. Bo started 5-0 twice in 2010 and 2014 then lost the sixth game both times.

This seems right after thinking about it but wow that's shocking. This year may be the first 6-0 start in 15 years. Say what you will about SOS, but this has still gotta be an indicator we are going the right direction

As for the DL, yes those guys went to the NFL, but where are their replacements? We have little to no depth on the DL right now. The LB depth is terrible, but the DB's are in pretty good shape. As for the offense, the OL also lacks depth, the QB was from Bo's staff with no quality depth behind him (Sorry Fyfe). The best part for TA is that this staff is actually coaching him on how to be a QB, the last staff just told athletes to go make a play with little guidance. RB's are ok, no studs, but they are not bad either. The WR's/TE's are in excellent shape which is odd since Bo liked to run the ball more than pass it.

You win by having quality depth at all positions and that was never the case while Bo was here. Hopefully that changes with what looks like the first of many outstanding recruiting classes that Riley is bringing in.

Yeah, it is wrong to say "the cupboards were bare." More accurate to say that the roster was terribly mismanaged. The state of the LBs when Riley took over was embarrassing and there were other definite issues as well.

Yeah, it is wrong to say "the cupboards were bare." More accurate to say that the roster was terribly mismanaged. The state of the LBs when Riley took over was embarrassing and there were other definite issues as well.
what Riley will have done for the LB situation in 3 years is nothing short of amazing. The class coming in at LB is very good, really all of the guys Rileys staff has snagged at LB appear to be major improvements

He's not on the staff.

Exactly my point. The John Parella home run was preceded by the Hank Hughes strike out.

I would still like to know what transpired with the defensive line on the whole mass migration out of Nebraska. The only clue is what Greg McMullen said, and the fact that Banker and Hughes didn't even know he left until informed by the press:

Greg McMullen: "I don't badmouth anybody. But I have never talked to him (Banker). I've seen him, tried to speak to him. Nothing ever really resonated. Coach John Parrella has been there a few weeks, and we probably talked six, seven, eight times over the last few weeks. Same with Coach Riley. Coach Banker has been there over a year, and I never even saw him, never received a text, a call, anything.

"I'm an adult. I don't really get hurt about too many things, especially not if someone isn't reaching out. To me personally, it's more that it would be nice for a defensive coordinator to at least show some appreciation or level of respect for an individual."

He's not on the staff.

Exactly my point. The John Parella home run was preceded by the Hank Hughes strike out.

I would still like to know what transpired with the defensive line on the whole mass migration out of Nebraska. The only clue is what Greg McMullen said, and the fact that Banker and Hughes didn't even know he left until informed by the press:

Greg McMullen: "I don't badmouth anybody. But I have never talked to him (Banker). I've seen him, tried to speak to him. Nothing ever really resonated. Coach John Parrella has been there a few weeks, and we probably talked six, seven, eight times over the last few weeks. Same with Coach Riley. Coach Banker has been there over a year, and I never even saw him, never received a text, a call, anything.

"I'm an adult. I don't really get hurt about too many things, especially not if someone isn't reaching out. To me personally, it's more that it would be nice for a defensive coordinator to at least show some appreciation or level of respect for an individual."

My point may not have been clear. I saw Hughes as a negative on the staff. When he left my opinion on the staff changed positively, I credit Riley for seeing a deficit and correcting it. Another plus (change in my attitude) for the staff.

My point may not have been clear. I saw Hughes as a negative on the staff. When he left my opinion on the staff changed positively, I credit Riley for seeing a deficit and correcting it. Another plus (change in my attitude) for the staff.

Agreed.

I think Parella has done a remarkable job with the line so far, given the player losses of last year. He also seems to be a great motivator, Riley did a good job getting him here at Nebraska.

I also like that Riley didn't cut Williams loose. I pray that works out for all, that would rank higher for me than a championship. It has to be extremely difficult to know when to keep somebody on staff and when to send them down the road. I don't envy Riley having to handle both of those situations.