Have any opinions changed about this staff?

Have opinions changed on this staff?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personality wise, I like Riley a lot. Always have, always will.

Strictly speaking about "coaching" I'm still skeptical of him having any better on-field results than his predecessor.

I knew who Riley was when he was hired which made me skeptical. Last year's results along with not really "proving" anything yet leaves me skeptical still. I really hope I'm switching to "positive" in 4 weeks :)

WOW glad Nebraska lost games so you could be right. Great fan, great attitude. What a fing turd.

Actually, I had bet any and all comers that Riley wouldn't win nine games, or else I would disappear from the forum forever. I think only one fan boy took me up on that...

...I never held him to it and I don't remember who it was. It was probably you, wasn't it? :P

Anyhow, thanks for the post, I'm glad I got a rise out of you. However, I am not a "fan"...I just watch Nebraska football for better or worse. I like the team, Riley seems to be learning his job, but I don't care for Nebraska fans getting into their self worship of how great they are.

I'm much less of a critic of coaches than most people are, at least online, I think (For example, I have no negative thoughts towards Tim Beck or Shawn Watson or their offenses, for the most part), and enjoyed our coaches as people and mostly appreciated their approach last season, sad for them and the players that it ended so badly. I don't necessarily believe that Riley will win us a B1G championship, but I think he'll keep us at least as competitive as Pelini did in conference and will probably retire in another 4-6 seasons leaving a healthy, capable program to be taken over by some younger hands and we'll look back very fondly on his time here.

Anyways, as far as being an ambassador, and a teacher of young men, I can't think of anyone better in all of football.

That last paragraph is really the thing for me. I hold no illusions about Nebraska potentially climbing to the top of the football world in the near future, where Ohio State and hey, maybe Michigan are now. If it happens, great. If not, I think these are still going to be some very, very positive times for the program.

As a Husker fan over the years I've rooted for good teams, and not so good teams. I no longer really care how many of either we'll have in the future (I'm sure a mix of both). But having one of CFB's ultimate good guys here? That's special.

• Fire 1

WOW glad Nebraska lost games so you could be right. Great fan, great attitude. What a fing turd.

Actually, I had bet any and all comers that Riley wouldn't win nine games, or else I would disappear from the forum forever. I think only one fan boy took me up on that...

...I never held him to it and I don't remember who it was. It was probably you, wasn't it? :P

Anyhow, thanks for the post, I'm glad I got a rise out of you. However, I am not a "fan"...I just watch Nebraska football for better or worse. I like the team, Riley seems to be learning his job, but I don't care for Nebraska fans getting into their self worship of how great they are.

your admitting that you are only here to troll husker fans? i had always thought that about you...but nice to see it confirmed.

• Fire 1

your admitting that you are only here to troll husker fans? i had always thought that about you...but nice to see it confirmed.

I guess I parted ways with "Husker fans" when they started injecting themselves into the spotlight as much or more than the team or the game. Look at all of the angst about whether "WE keep OUR sellout record."

Look at how many people here fell all over themselves to see who could be the nicest to an obvious Oregon Duck troll who ended up making @sses out of them a few weeks back...because they wanted to prove just how wonderful they were to each other and to him.

Look at all of the posts castigating "the blue hairs" who won't (or can't) stand all game and are perfectly willing to be @sshats and block their view to prove that, although they are lousy human beings, are "the world's greatest fans" for doing so.

Look at the venom and hate Pelini invoked because he was mad at the fans after the Ohio State victory and said that Nebraska could kiss his @ss...conveniently forgetting that it came after he took great offense of Husker fans booing his team at the half. (After the comeback win, notice how it went from being "Pelini's team" to "OUR" team) I still have the picture...do you want to see it again, or do you want to explain it away (again) with out seeing a disgusted Bo waving off "The world's greatest fans"?

And THAT was Pelini's one, great unforgivable sin: He didn't love Nebraska fans as much as they thought he should have, and Hell hath no fury like a lover scorned. Sort of like Texas is with everybody leaving the Big 12.

Anyhow, one person's troll may be nothing more than a mirror that tells the Evil Queen that she might not be "the fairest of them all." Either way, I can live with it. Can you live with the fact that some people might not think Nebraska fans are all that they make themselves out to be?

Skeptical but patient, was wearing extremely thin on patience last year, especially with Banker. But I can't blame him entirely for the lack of bodies @ DL and LB, so it's only fair to give them at least 3 years to try and load up and see what happens. The overall structure of the program looks improved, from recruiting tactics to strength and conditioning. I hope the upward trend is for real this time, because each of our last 3 coaches had moments where it looked like they had things well under control only to fall flat. None of them had the head coaching experience/longevity of Riley, so I am hopeful that will prove to be the difference this time around.

They should have been 5-0 last year...

This year they are 5-0 and have run the ball 63% of the time

I am impressed that the STAFF has learned new tricks. I am impressed that they realized they could win without doing it "their way" but by doing it the way that was best for the desired results.

Any negative feelings fans had were brought on by the staff themselves.

So all the negativity some people spewed before the coaches ever coached a game at NU was brought on by the staff?

• Fire 3

I am impressed that the STAFF has learned new tricks. I am impressed that they realized they could win without doing it "their way" but by doing it the way that was best for the desired results.

Running the ball isn't new to Riley. Why people consist on saying he doesn't like to run the ball is beyond me. He had some very good backs at Oregon State and used them a lot.

• Fire 3

Running the ball isn't new to Riley. Why people consist on saying he doesn't like to run the ball is beyond me. He had some very good backs at Oregon State and used them a lot.

Let me answer Elf's question first: Yes, the negative vibes the staff got before coaching a game HERE was on them...because of their past record and performance. That is how it works...Both Presidential candidates are constantly hated on...yet neither have been president. Just like Michigan fans, probably 99% LOVED JH before he coached one single game there.

Secondly, Yes, Riley had good backs and ran the ball...No one is disputing that. What I am saying is that LAST YEAR he should have relied more on the running game instead of trying to turn TA into something that he wasn't/isn't.

Coaching is not about what you know...It is about what you can effectively teach and implement.

• Fire 2