"We Backs"

'We Backs' redeux?

Glenn-Lucky combo reminisent of 1992 backfield

Posted: Saturday April 15, 2006 5:37PM; Updated: Saturday April 15, 2006 5:37PM

Cody Glenn had 98 yards on 16 carries Saturday, while Marlon Lucky totaled 84 yards on 15 carries.

AP

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Nebraska's spring game Saturday was reminiscent of the days of the "We Backs."

Neither Derek Brown nor Calvin Jones quite distinguished himself as the go-to guy in 1992, splitting time in the Cornhuskers' backfield.

Following spring practice, it looks as if head coach Bill Callahan and running backs coach Randy Jordan may have a tough time deciding which I-back will get the majority of the carries this fall.

Sophomore I-backs Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn played a game of whatever-you-can-do-I-can-do-better on Saturday, and now their race appears even.

"We look at both of them as equal guys," Jordan said. "We're all about committee. We roll with the one that's hot. That allows them to stay fresh."

While Glenn has developed a reputation as a punishing, between-the-tackles runner early in his career, Lucky has been known more as a finesse guy looking to break loose down the sideline.

Saturday it was Glenn bouncing it outside and Lucky pounding away up the middle.

"He's really physical and has good hands. He can do a lot," Lucky said of Glenn. "I'm quick with good hands. It's a thunder-and-lightning thing. That's just the way it worked out today. He saw some holes outside and I saw some inside."

Glenn gained 98 yards on 16 carries and Lucky 84 yards on 15, including touchdown runs of 4 and 6 yards.

"If we can keep it like that, I'm OK with it," Glenn said. "As long as we're winning, that's the big thing."

Lucky, too, doesn't see much of a need to have a clear-cut No. 1 declared.

"It's OK with me. First. Second. Third. We're all going to get some playing time," Lucky said.

Although Lucky and Glenn got most of the carries behind the Huskers' No. 1 offensive line, fellow sophomore Leon Jackson also got a chance to showcase his talents late in the contest after playing with the second and third teams through three quarters.

Jackson had 44 yards on six carries with the top offense, which could give Jordan a third I-back to consider for significant playing time come fall.

"The sky is the limit for those guys," Jordan said.

I was really impressed with all 3 backs. Although they are looking good, I wonder huch the improving OL has to to with it. If the OL improves this year (which they definately will), look out.

I had the chance to stand right beside Kenny Wilson at the game..wow, does he look like a monster. If he lives up to the hype, this will definately be an interesting RB competition.

I-back Duo Displays Promising Performance For Nebraska

(CSTV U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb. -- There were a few breakthroughs -- literally -- during Saturday's annual Red-White Spring Game.

Nebraska fans and coaches saw sophomore running backs Cody Glenn and Marlon Lucky break through numerous tackles and chalk up a combined total of 182 yards rushing.

NU Coach Bill Callahan has emphasized the Cornhuskers' rushing game throughout the spring, and it was evident progress has been made in developing Glenn and Lucky.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We emphasized (the running game) quite a bit," Callahan said. "We still wanted to get our throws in and work on our protection game and work on the timing to keep Zac (Taylor) sharp, but we really wanted to test our young backs and see how they held up."

"I thought they did a fine job."

The duo led the Red squad's charge to a touchdown on the team's second possession. Lucky ran for his longest yardage, rushing 13 yards after a handoff from senior quarterback Zac Taylor. Lucky also scored one of his two rushing touchdowns on the possession, going four yards to the end zone.

While Glenn had no touchdowns during the scrimmage, he gained 98 rushing yards compared to Lucky's 84.

NU running backs coach Randy Jordan was impressed by the play of Glenn and Lucky.

"Those guys both love to compete," Jordan said. "It's kind of hard to tell one to come out because the other wants to stay in, so I think they're going to do a really good job for us."

It also seems that Glenn and Lucky understand the benefits of having the other on his side, despite being in competition for playing time.

Lucky was complimentary of Glenn's play, saying that the 6-foot, 230-pound I-back is physical and has great hands.

According to Lucky, it doesn't matter what string the two are, "first, second, third, we're all going to see time (on the field)," he said.

Judging from what he has seen on the field over the past month of practices, Jordan said Lucky has made some "phenomenal" progress.

"One thing we try to teach them is to run with your eyes and then your feet -- in that order," Jordan said. "Your eyes will take you to the hole. You can see the progression."

Jordan was stern about the fact that neither back has stepped out of the other's shadow at this point. He said he and the rest of the coaching staff would stick with the "committee system," choosing the back that is "hot" during certain games, allowing both backs to stay fresh during the course of a game.

During the scrimmage, however, Callahan said that Glenn and Lucky were both featured.

With Lucky, the Huskers featured a draw scheme as well as a counter game. With Glenn, they chose trapping and wrapping on the edges.

Glenn and Lucky also received praise from their quarterback. Taylor said he was most impressed by the yards the two backs gained after contact.

"They made some great cuts before they got hit, but after they got hit they would break a tackle and get those extra yards," Taylor said. "There were a lot of situations that could have been second (down) and one (yard), and they powered through and got that first down. They were tough runners today."

It will be interesting to see what BC does with the talent he has in the backfield. If the line can open up holes, it could be a long, long game for a defense....bring back any memories???

I don't think we will have much more success running the ball this year over last year. Our line is very average or below average and we have backs that aren't as good as Cory was as of right now.

It will be interesting to see what BC does with the talent he has in the backfield.  If the line can open up holes, it could be a long, long game for a defense....bring back any memories???

I don't think we will have much more success running the ball this year over last year. Our line is very average or below average and we have backs that aren't as good as Cory was as of right now.

Every time I sit on the toilet I think of you, Benard.

It will be interesting to see what BC does with the talent he has in the backfield.  If the line can open up holes, it could be a long, long game for a defense....bring back any memories???

Every time I sit on the toilet I think of you, Benard.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

lets go to a form of the wishbone and get all 3 in the game at one time.

what kind of a nightmare would that be for a DC to plan for?

I really hope BC exploits that somehow. If not the wishbone, then a modified 2back set, or something. Can those two backs block?

If I were playing NCAA 2007... I'd have tons of multiple back sets, and exploit it as much as possible. I'd even throw in a double option just for the fun of it. At any rate, I have a feeling BC will do what he can to present the most options for his aresenal.

He's not afraid to change positions or things around, so that makes me feel good about him being able to exploit the running backs.