Question about Coach Riley

LJsurf41

At no point should a person be told that they are a lesser person, less moral, less "good," less justified, than someone else because they believe in a different god or no god at all.

You are correct only if there is no god at all, or if the true god doesn't care who you worship or whether you worship at all. But if the Christian God is the one true God, you are incorrect. And it will be too late for you once you finally discover your error. (The same would hold true if some other god(s) are real, and not tolerant to false worship or no worship.)

=======================================

Back to Mike Riley, I personally am comforted to know that he is a Christian. (JMHO.) Is it a requirement of the job? Certainly not. Could he have just as good of values if he wasn't a Christian? Sure, he could. Many non-Christians do. Could Mike Riley, as a Christian, be dishonest and underhanded? No, not if he truly is a Christian and lives according to what Jesus Christ taught.

At no point should a person be told that they are a lesser person, less moral, less "good," less justified, than someone else because they believe in a different god or no god at all.

You are correct only if there is no god at all, or if the true god doesn't care who you worship or whether you worship at all. But if the Christian God is the one true God, you are incorrect. And it will be too late for you once you finally discover your error. (The same would hold true if some other god(s) are real, and not tolerant to false worship or no worship.)

The Christian god is not the one true god. Zeus is.

Or maybe it's Jupiter.

Or maybe Ammon.

Or maybe Quetzelcoatl.

Or maybe Tupa.

Or maybe Brahma.

Or maybe Odin.

Or maybe Tengri.

Or maybe Ukko.

Or maybe it's one of the other 10,000 gods humans have created.

Sad thing is, it'll be too late for Christians once they discover their error when they die.

But at least Mike Riley won some football games because he's Christian.

• Fire 1

Or maybe it's Jupiter.

Or maybe Ammon.

Or maybe Quetzelcoatl.

Or maybe Tupa.

Or maybe Brahma.

Or maybe Odin.

Or maybe Tengri.

Or maybe Ukko.

Sad thing is, it'll be too late for Christians once they discover their error when they die.

Apparently you don't like it when someone points out that you are incorrect. I answered your post. I didn't start a debate as to which god is the one true god. But as to that, you know my opinion on the matter. And I know yours. I feel sorry for you, and will pray for you.

Or maybe it's Jupiter.

Or maybe Ammon.

Or maybe Quetzelcoatl.

Or maybe Tupa.

Or maybe Brahma.

Or maybe Odin.

Or maybe Tengri.

Or maybe Ukko.

Apparently you don't like it when someone points out that you are incorrect. I answered your post. I didn't start a debate as to which god is the one true god. But as to that, you know my opinion on the matter. And I know yours. I feel sorry for you, and will pray for you.

YOUR true god. Respect others man. This sort of comment is ignorant.

• Fire 1

On the other side of the coin, Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky were pillars of the Christian community.

This is a gross double-standard and I would like to point it out. When an atheist does something wrong - we don't say

A ruler has graduations - markings that let you read to some certainty. You may measure to some goodness, but what's the point in arguing you are a good person? Everyone says they are a good person. I just think it's asinine when people say they are good - why? Because they are using their own standards - or better societal standards. This goes back to my whole point that morality is much more a matter of involving some higher being that has defined good and bad human behavior in way that it has become objective regardless of the society you were born in - and stretches far beyond the behaviors you have acquired from the country you live in. I think it's far more complicated then just trying to say "I'm good, they're bad"

Or maybe it's Jupiter.

Or maybe Ammon.

Or maybe Quetzelcoatl.

Or maybe Tupa.

Or maybe Brahma.

Or maybe Odin.

Or maybe Tengri.

Or maybe Ukko.

Perhaps you didn't read the posts above in this quote string very carefully. It might be a good idea for you to do that.

• Fire 1

Or maybe it's Jupiter.

Or maybe Ammon.

Or maybe Quetzelcoatl.

Or maybe Tupa.

Or maybe Brahma.

Or maybe Odin.

Or maybe Tengri.

Or maybe Ukko.

I appreciate your prayers. We may believe differently, but I know you'd pray for me out of a good place in your heart.

• Fire 1

Or maybe it's Jupiter.

Or maybe Ammon.

Or maybe Quetzelcoatl.

Or maybe Tupa.

Or maybe Brahma.

Or maybe Odin.

Or maybe Tengri.

Or maybe Ukko.

Perhaps you didn't read the posts above in this quote string very carefully. It might be a good idea for you to do that.

Oh, I did - thank you. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Wondering if he is a man of faith? The more I read up on TO the more it appears his faith was the core of his life and shaped his philosophy dealing with student athletes/coaching. I believe this was instrumental in his success as a football coach. Wonder where MR is in the faith department? Not trying to stir the pot, just curious

Sorry to rain on the parade, but this topic reeks of misplaced priorities. Football is game. Division 1-A football coaches are highly paid celebrities. Do they “mentor young men”? Yeah, I suppose to some extent that they do, in the same way that teachers, bosses, parents and other ‘authority figures’ play that role. But ultimately, whether a young man is going to live a moral life comes down to the decisions that they make and what they choose to believe in. Not because of what TO, Mike Riley, or some other ‘authority figure’ tells them how to conduct their lives.

Frankly, it looks like some people are trying to justify their football obsession with religious arguments. Do you really think that Jesus would want people playing a hard-hitting contact sport, like football, in heaven? Sorry guys, I don’t think so. Football is about as ‘earthly’ or ‘secular’ entertainment event that I can think of. Something for mortals to enjoy down here. Not something to confuse with proper spirituality.

Quick, someone pray for me.

I have already been outed as a heathen, "NATIVE AMERICAN LAKOTA MAN".

No, I do not believe in the christian god, a human sacrifice killed by jews and all that stuff.

I DO believe in a higher power.

Whether the Christians (capitalized with respect this time) or the Muslims or the Hindus are right is of no real importance.

What matters to me is this: If YOUR God is the right/correct God, will he/she accept those of us who have lived earnest and good lives though we may be honoring the wrong name while doing good and being humane ethical people? If the answer is NO, you can keep that god to yourself and I will go on doing the best I can.

Best wishes,

Flood

• Fire 6