What did we learn-Indiana edition

I learned that it's very satisfying to know that Desmond Howard has to now eat a big fat plate of CROW!

What did he say on GameDay ?!

They dedicated a segment just to talk about if Nebraska "deserved" to be in the top 10. He was the most vocal about us not having played anyone and that the Oregon win didn't mean much. This of course is totally ignoring Tennessee at #9, but whatever. After that Kirk started being a smartass and saying things like "I can't believe that you are talking bad about Nebraska!" while yucking it up with the LB from Georgia that sits next to him who's name I can't remember while saying it. It was a segment that was just for them to say that we didn't deserve to be there, and to give Kirk a chance to take backhanded shots at NU fans. Their stat guy even stated that "if they played FSU, or Clemson would they be undefeated?" Which may be true for any team in the country, but who has Alabama beat? A 3-3 USC team? Personally Iike our chances against FSU, they are terrible this year and with Old Miss and Tennessee are the three most overrated teams in the country.

The video in on ESPN.com if you want to watch it.

• Fire 1

We are six and 0. An ugly, sloppy, 6-0 and I will take it. Wisc and OSU loom, but we are good enough to hit 9-3 and 10-2 and that's a major step in the right direction.

I expect to beat Purdue, Minny, Maryland, and Iowa. I am really close to putting Wisky in the expect to win range, but the game is at Camp Randal and it will be a lot tougher to win there than it was today. Ohio State would be a program enhancing win in their place, but as of now I am rooting for a win, but hopeful that we are competitive and don't get whipped like Oklahoma did. That puts us at 10-2 or 11-1, either way it puts us in the CCG if Ohio State wins tonight and Wisky beats Iowa next weekend.

- Huskers are mentally tough, even if they aren't physically perfect all the time.

- They've learned how to finish games. What was their last drive? 7:00 or something? Pretty impressive to grind one out when you haven't been able to do anything for basically the preceding 2.5 quarters.

- Indiana defense is salty. Offense, not as much.

- This team has an edge about it. A confidence. This group of seniors has been through a ton, and they keep pushing on. It's admirable.

- I like the coaching staff (Read....meh). Langsdorf was handcuffed today, given the injuries and the fact TA reverted a bit. Banker has the D playing much better. His pressure calls have worked (wish he would've dialed some up on their last TD drive).

- Huskers 6-0 for the first time since 2001. Feels good, regardless of what it looks like.

- Last one: Bo, for all the things he lacked, sure could recognize secondary talent. Gerry, Kalu, Jones, A. Williams, K. Williams - all guys Bo recruited. We can argue all we want about whether he's a good head coach, etc., but there's no doubt he knew what was up when it came to the back end of the defense.

• Fire 3

You have to give credit to the IU defense. They played well. However, with injuries to key skill players (Tommy, Westy, Cethan, and Ozigbo), I think the game plan was a little vanilla and the absence of those injured players (or limited capacity in TA's case) really stalled drives in big 3rd down moments. This may be why we saw Tommy press a little more than he has this season, which leads to his poor decisions.

Got to give it to the Blackshirt defense. A great performance overall.

Riley trusts his team and definitely believes in putting the game in his teams hands. He has called a number of critical 4th downs this year in big moments to keep momentum.

Drew Brown is ice cold, the rest of special teams can be improved.

• Fire 1

1. Our OL did not do us many favors today. Not one of those guys deserves isotoner gloves for Christmas after that performance. This factors into my YOLO Tommy comments below...a little.

2. We miss Westy and Carter...ALOT!!!!

3. Indiana is not a bad team, their record is not a clear indicator, nothing but respect for how they played today and what their DC has accomplished. We should offer him a job. *hint*

4. We will need to play much much better/cleaner to come close to winning against Wisconsin/tOSU. Today's quality of play in all aspects will result in another embarrassing loss.

5. Indiana showed us how to properly block for a punt return...hopefully someone from NU was taking notes because class was in session.

6. YOLO Tommy is like a college basketball team that relies on shooting a lot of 3's: you live and die by it...today we almost died. Poor decision making and while I love the kid's heart and work ethic, I will be relieved when MR has his guy at QB. TA is just not a great QB (i.e. comp%, footwork, simple throwing mechanics, reading defenses, looking down receivers, decision making under pressure...etc. most of these qualities are ironed out before kids even get the nod to start in Div I). It has been an eternity since we have had a QB with ice in his veins a la Frazier, Crouch, Frost (no pun intended), Berringer or well..you get the idea.

7. Newby is coming into his own as a player and stepping it up. His 4th quarter performance the last couple games has been fun to watch.

8. Our secondary is shining right now. Playing tough and killing it. Period.

You have to give credit to the IU defense. They played well. However, with injuries to key skill players (Tommy, Westy, Cethan, and Ozigbo), I think the game plan was a little vanilla and the absence of those injured players (or limited capacity in TA's case) really stalled drives in key 3rd down moments.

I thought the biggest difference was we didn't call many of the pass plays that made TA look better the last 3-4 games. We had been running a lot of routes to get TA easy throws - 5-10 yards downfield to a fairly stationary receiver. There was a lot more trying to hit guys on the run and setting him up to throw YOLOBombs.