Chatelain: Husker culture shift taking hold after jolting year of transition under Mike Riley

Really good article. What I took from it was Pelini's way of doing things wasn't necessarily wrong, just a different set of advantages and disadvantages. Just like every offensive philosophy has it's pro's and con's. I think another important take away is that both coaches are true to themselves. I think we could all agree Bo couldn't coach the way Riley does and vice versa each coach has to stick to their style. Failing to do so would result in coming across as a phony and your players not buying into what you're selling.

One question that seemed to come up a lot during the early Pelini days to Osbourne was what (if any) advice he had given to Pelini and he often replied something to the effect that he had to be himself, and empathized with Pelini in that he was often criticized for being the opposite of Pelini, too calm, too quiet etc and you had to ignore it and be yourself as a coach.

Agree with this 100%

If we win this game tomorrow, and it's an enormous "if," I'd say we're at 3-0 under Riley in "big games" (Michigan State last year, Oregon this year, Wisconsin this year).

There was a noted difference in Riley's method of getting the team prepared for the challenge of the "big game" element during the Oregon week build-up. I don't care about how much Oregon has dropped off this season - it does not matter. We rose to that occasion through Riley's leadership. Good coaching has taken us to 7-0.

I think tomorrow will say a lot to back this up. Or, it won't. But, Riley, in my own opinion, is miles ahead of Bo in preparing for the games that count.

• Fire 2

If we win this game tomorrow, and it's an enormous "if," I'd say we're at 3-0 under Riley in "big games" (Michigan State last year, Oregon this year, Wisconsin this year).

There was a noted difference in Riley's method of getting the team prepared for the challenge of the "big game" element during the Oregon week build-up. I don't care about how much Oregon has dropped off this season - it does not matter. We rose to that occasion through Riley's leadership. Good coaching has taken us to 7-0.

I think tomorrow will say a lot to back this up. Or, it won't. But, Riley, in my own opinion, is miles ahead of Bo in preparing for the games that count.

Shoot, I would hope so. Riley has been at it for 40 years and a HC for what, 20 years? Bo has been a HC for like 9 years.

I was happy when Bo was hired and kind of relieved in a way when he was fired. I was very disappointed in the way Bo acted, especially when he was fired. He really woulda, coulda, shoulda left in the right way and not went out burning bridges, etc. I think he would have had a much better shot at landing a better job today had he left in a proud, respectful manner. I feel his behavior was very unsportsmanlike at times although I understand why he wanted to fight hard and 'support his guys'. Those are very laudable things when done in an appropriate way. I hope that Riley is what he seems to be because that is all good in my view.

Correct. At the time we played Oregon, they were undefeated and there was no indication that there was a let up. They had won their previous two games on an average of 48.5 to 27. The team could have easily come into the game tight and unconfident.

It's going to be really interesting to see how this team performs tomorrow in an even bigger game on the road.

Correct. At the time we played Oregon, they were undefeated and there was no indication that there was a let up. They had won their previous two games on an average of 48.5 to 27. The team could have easily come into the game tight and unconfident.

It's going to be really interesting to see how this team performs tomorrow in an even bigger game on the road.

The team also could have easily lost that game to Oregon but benefited from some breaks (breaks they were due after last year but breaks none the less). Anybody who watched Oregon play a currently 2-5 UVA team and a 1-5 FBS UC David team recognized the problems Oregon was facing. There were a lot of indications. In fact some duck fan was on here talking about how they'd be lucky to win 5 games this year.

The whole notion of "tightness" and "momentum" is overrated, imo. But it makes for a good news spin.

Good read...interesting to have the players' perspective. Not sure if Dirk hand picked them to fit his story or not.

Riley walked into quite possibly one of the worst situations to walk into. He has done a nice job and is to be commended for his efforts. I wonder how well this would have been received if the Huskers were not sitting at 7-0??

The team also could have easily lost that game to Oregon but benefited from some breaks (breaks they were due after last year but breaks none the less). Anybody who watched Oregon play a currently 2-5 UVA team and a 1-5 FBS UC David team recognized the problems Oregon was facing. There were a lot of indications. In fact some duck fan was on here talking about how they'd be lucky to win 5 games this year.

The whole notion of "tightness" and "momentum" is overrated, imo. But it makes for a good news spin.

I don't see how it is overrated...if the team is playing tight how in the world do you expect them to play to win?? Momentum is huge...case and point...a team jumps out on a team that has a hard time playing through adversity. This team puts their head down and says, "here we go again." game over!

I don't see how it is overrated...if the team is playing tight how in the world do you expect them to play to win?? Momentum is huge...case and point...a team jumps out on a team that has a hard time playing through adversity. This team puts their head down and says, "here we go again." game over!

There is some truth to it being important and some truth to it being overrated...

In the end, more times than not, the better team just wins.

• Fire 1

There is some truth to it being important and some truth to it being overrated...

I would say 99.99999999% of the time the best team on that day wins. The only way that doesn't happen is if some outside influence affects the game. I can only think of one or two times in all the college football I have seen where that has happened. CU's 6th down at Mizzou is an example.

The team also could have easily lost that game to Oregon but benefited from some breaks (breaks they were due after last year but breaks none the less). Anybody who watched Oregon play a currently 2-5 UVA team and a 1-5 FBS UC David team recognized the problems Oregon was facing. There were a lot of indications. In fact some duck fan was on here talking about how they'd be lucky to win 5 games this year.The whole notion of "tightness" and "momentum" is overrated, imo. But it makes for a good news spin.

I would say 99.99999999% of the time the best team on that day wins. The only way that doesn't happen is if some outside influence affects the game. I can only think of one or two times in all the college football I have seen where that has happened. CU's 6th down at Mizzou is an example.

Ha! "7th and goal from the two"

The key here is definitely "on that day."

Upsets are pretty prevalent in college football based on psychological factors or kids having really up and down days. I'd say the best team overall probably wins 75% of the time. Although sometimes the best team is only marginally better than their opponent.

Even the much worse team wins at a surprising rate in college football. (Surprising to me would be anything above 5% of the time).