(ESPN) Mike Riley: the darndest guy you'll ever meet

zoogs

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17904140/nebraska-coach-mike-riley-darndest-guy-ever-meet

Gerald met Riley last fall. About four times a year, the elder Foltz liked to make the 100-mile drive to Lincoln to watch his son practice. But on this particular day, Riley had given the team a surprise day off. Gerald was walking down a hallway with Sam when they heard someone yelling and running toward them. It was Riley. He told Sam to show his dad around the facilities, and heck, take him up to his office.

• Fire 1

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17904140/nebraska-coach-mike-riley-darndest-guy-ever-meet

Gerald met Riley last fall. About four times a year, the elder Foltz liked to make the 100-mile drive to Lincoln to watch his son practice. But on this particular day, Riley had given the team a surprise day off. Gerald was walking down a hallway with Sam when they heard someone yelling and running toward them. It was Riley. He told Sam to show his dad around the facilities, and heck, take him up to his office.

win lose or draw Saturday we have one of the greatest men in college football coaching our team.

Fantastic article and I am proud this guy coaches the Huskers

• Fire 3

I can see Riley becoming one of the best recruiters in the nation come a couple years from now.

You mean as a retiree? That's not to be snarky, but how long do we really think he has left in the tank?

I did like to hear that they are refocusing their recruiting efforts and doubling down on relationship building within the 500 mile radius (think he said "two tanks of gas" radius). I just hate that evne if he gets it going, he's gone in 5 to 10 years and we don't have much of a succession plan in sight.

Do schools usually have a succession plan in place in the current coach's 2nd year?

Good ones have a plan for coaches who are 60+

My guess is it's Langs job if he wants it, but we're assuming everything goes well and he'll go out on his own terms. As much as I love the guy it is still college coaching and no matter how nice a guy he is if he doesn't win enough games his "last adventure" could be over before he wants it too. But he'd probably take it in stride like everything else. Not saying that's what's going to happen or what I want to happen (far from it) just stating the reality of the situation.

• Fire 1

Anybody who knows anything about our program knows the drill around here; don't act like it's anything otherwise, cm husker:

The plan is, if he doesn't perform up to expectations, he gets canned. If he does, he stays.

End of discussion. Quite the red herring you attempted to plant, though.